What Morrissey and Prince could teach each other about the music business - The A.V. Club

Interesting read. Good comment here:

KJB> Joe D. Foster •8 hours ago

I think that a big part of Morrissey's problem is that he wants to be old-school glamor in a world that's quickly leaving that behind (Half of Autobiography is him obsessing over chart positions, for crying out loud.) As clumsy as Prince is at times, I like how unafraid he is of trying new ways to getting music to his fans. Moz, on the other hand, is rapidly turning to Norma Desmond in Sunset Boulevard and the thing is, it's probably exactly what he wants to be.

BTW, anyone ever venture over to the Prince fan website www.prince.org? They are brutal there. Makes this place seem very benign.

BTW, anyone ever venture over to the Prince fan website www.prince.org? They are brutal there. Makes this place seem very benign.

I was a regular there once upon a time, yes. Prince fans can indeed be brutal...I think that's the case with any artist who's set the bar very high for themselves at some point in time. Everything they do is held to their own impossible standard.

I rather liked this comment on that article:

"... As clumsy as Prince is at times, I like how unafraid he is of trying new ways of getting music to his fans. Moz, on the other hand, is rapidly turning into Norma Desmond in Sunset Boulevard and the thing is, it's probably exactly what he wants to be."

i sometimes like that he obsesses over his chart positions because so contrarily he doesnt do nearly what others do to achieve them. i guess i like that he still romantically perhaps values the voice of the common man/woman/etc and obsesses over them in the same way that gram parsons would obsesses over honky-tonk juke boxes.

I remember this crazy rumour back in 1991 that Prince and Morrissey were recording together.

Nikita I think it was '92. It was supposed to happen after Morrissey went to the Grammys where Your Arsenal was nominated. Of course he didn't go and it didn't happen.

I remember this crazy rumour back in 1991 that Prince and Morrissey were recording together.

I think it's a sign that you've really made it when there are rumors that you're recording with Prince. I can't see it actually happening in a million years, but it's the thought that counts. :)

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom