What if Morrissey did an pure pop album?

Totally agree. But if you think of the lead single as a teaser for the musical direction on the album, then they should have gone with "Knockabout World". It has the combination of a breezy pop song + synths, features you can find on several other tracks. Bobby strikes me more as a brilliant oddity in the Morrissey discography.

@Mayfly your comment got me back thinking about this topic I made weeks ago, I really think he’ll make an album very pop directed or at least upbeat which I’m here for..

“Knockabout World”, “Once I Saw The River” Clean and “Ignore Me” proves he can do pop songs without losing his overall artistic identity .

But he could collaborate with Neil & Chris, especially as they know each other nowadays.

I wonder if they would or if they are too firmly in the Johnny & Bernard camp. Hooky was in nme recently complaining about Johnny again, ignoring him at events, haha.

I think whatever genre Morrissey taps into, it will always sound like a Morrissey song.

That voice is inescapable, and will shape whatever it touches.

In my fantasy, Morrissey’s next record would be produced by Trent Reznor, Flood and Death Grips.

I want a collaboration between Morrissey & Einstürzende Neubauten featuring John Zorn as guest musician and Yamantaka Eye is allowed to sing the choruses (though Morrissey remains as the main voice).

If not, a tour with Morrissey singing in the Sun Ra Arkestra.

What I do NOT want: an instrumental album of Hawaiian folkloric music with Morrissey playing some sort of Hawaiian drum.

All his compilation albums are pure pop. Obviously.

Johnny Marr's finest hour was with Girls Aloud, so there's no reason Morrissey shouldn't go down the pure pop route.

Johnny Marr's finest hour was with Girls Aloud, so there's no reason Morrissey shouldn't go down the pure pop route.
He's unlikely to be going down any route with new music, ever again. The Der Spiegel interview revealed him to be nasty, foolish man with appalling judgement. The fanbase has withered. He can do more concerts (to smaller audiences) but there wont be any new music.

He's unlikely to be going down any route with new music, ever again. The Der Spiegel interview revealed him to be nasty, foolish man with appalling judgement. The fanbase has withered. He can do more concerts (to smaller audiences) but there wont be any new music.

True but I still want that pop album from, “Old Dog” left such an good starting point of where Moz could go with the direction

I wonder if they would or if they are too firmly in the Johnny & Bernard camp. Hooky was in nme recently complaining about Johnny again, ignoring him at events, haha.

Johnny is probably avoiding all the ongoing 'feud' and politics between Hook and Bernard, and who can blame him.

@Mayfly your comment got me back thinking about this topic I made weeks ago, I really think he’ll make an album very pop directed or at least upbeat which I’m here for..

“Knockabout World”, “Once I Saw The River” Clean and “Ignore Me” proves he can do pop songs without losing his overall artistic identity .

IMO, Morrissey could pull off a pure pop / synth pop album if he wanted to. His voice can actually carry a tune, and you can't say that of every singer. He also has the ability to come up with strong vocal harmonies. And he isn't as opposed to pure pop music as he once seemed to be.

To my ears, Bona Drag comes closest to being a pop record. It is perhaps not exactly what you have in mind, but some tunes on there, like International Playboys or Hairdresser are really catchy. I also thought that the Spent the day in bed single was hinting of a musical shift into a keyboard-driven pop direction, but it was a false sign as LIHS really wasn't anything like that.

IMO, Morrissey could pull off a pure pop / synth pop album if he wanted to. His voice can actually carry a tune, and you can't say that of every singer. He also has the ability to come up with strong vocal harmonies. And he isn't as opposed to pure pop music as he once seemed to be.

To my ears, Bona Drag comes closest to being a pop record. It is perhaps not exactly what you have in mind, but some tunes on there, like International Playboys or Hairdresser are really catchy. I also thought that the Spent the day in bed single was hinting of a musical shift into a keyboard-driven pop direction, but it was a false sign as LIHS really wasn't anything like that.

“Vauxhall & I” feels like an Alternative pop album to me, with songs like “hated for loving“, “find out for yourself”

To me that album was the most poppiest he’s ever been until “old dog”, I really think he’s working his way into it

But he could collaborate with Neil & Chris, especially as they know each other nowadays.

I must have missed the story of Morrissey getting acquainted with Neil & Chris from the Pet Shop Boys, so if you can elaborate a bit.
All I seem to remember is that in the good old days, Pet Shop Boys were not fond of Morrissey, and more into the Johnny Marr camp as they collaborated in the Electronic project.
And I can't help but wonder how they feel about Morrissey's opinions these days, seeing what the Sparks had to say in that recent interview.

“Vauxhall & I” feels like an Alternative pop album to me, with songs like “hated for loving“, “find out for yourself”

To me that album was the most poppiest he’s ever been until “old dog”, I really think he’s working his way into it

V & I is a terrific collection of fantastic songs, regardless of you label them ("alternative pop" or "alternative rock" or just simply "alternative").

V & I is a terrific collection of fantastic songs, regardless of you label them ("alternative pop" or "alternative rock" or just simply "alternative").

Easily his best album to date but I was making an observation, I would love time pop producer make an album Moz but unfortunately.. that’s doubtful

I must have missed the story of Morrissey getting acquainted with Neil & Chris from the Pet Shop Boys, so if you can elaborate a bit.

The PSB fan club book Annually revelead that they had recently had dinner together in Los Angeles and enjoyed each other's company. And in some interview some years ago Morrissey said, that while PSB's music is "too disco" for him, he sees them as kindred spirits trying to make intelligent pop music.

Back
Top Bottom