Poll What do you think of the new Morrissey single, 'Bobby, don't you think they know?'

What do you think of the new Morrissey single, 'Bobby, don't you think they know?'

• Total voters
What do you think of the new Morrissey single, 'Bobby, don't you think they know?'
I like it a lot. There is a lot of subtle undertones. First off the Motown woman is fantastic and shows growth from Morrissey. I also don't remember hearing Morrissey ever have a duet with that type of genre and normally doesn't do too many duets (Moon River, Interlude, possibly a few more). Second, I'd say the most obvious question of Morrissey's career is his sexuality. I am going to make an educated guess that he is gay. Pretty sure he has never given a concrete answer so I am guessing again that this song is indeed the last piece to his sexuality puzzle and he is admitting his homosexuality through song & also letting the listener know that he knows that his type of listener already knows. So Thelma Houston blurts out, of course, they know which to me is the climax of the song. With that being said, the song has a deep winded sax blowing at the right time and some jungle drumming, as well as I believe some nice synthesizer music as well. Some of the lyrics are difficult to try to decode, however, I get the impression that Morrissey wants to leave that to the imagination of the listener or simply doesn't care. Nonetheless, I think the song is fantastic and he finally answered the question he really didn't want to answer, although we all knew the answer all along.

I like it a lot. There is a lot of subtle undertones. First off the Motown woman is fantastic and shows growth from Morrissey. I also don't remember hearing Morrissey ever have a duet with that type of genre and normally doesn't do too many duets (Moon River, Interlude, possibly a few more). Second, I'd say the most obvious question of Morrissey's career is his sexuality. I am going to make an educated guess that he is gay. Pretty sure he has never given a concrete answer so I am guessing again that this song is indeed the last piece to his sexuality puzzle and he is admitting his homosexuality through song & also letting the listener know that he knows that his type of listener already knows. So Thelma Houston blurts out, of course, they know which to me is the climax of the song. With that being said, the song has a deep winded sax blowing at the right time and some jungle drumming, as well as I believe some nice synthesizer music as well. Some of the lyrics are difficult to try to decode, however, I get the impression that Morrissey wants to leave that to the imagination of the listener or simply doesn't care. Nonetheless, I think the song is fantastic and he finally answered the question he really didn't want to answer, although we all knew the answer all along.

No, I think you're wide of the mark. There are too many drug references for it to be about sexuality, let alone Moz's sexuality.

impressive analyses.

i personally think it is a very funny song. for those moments in life, when we go through emotions, it also offers another layer of connection.

the gobbledegook drug slang, as it was called above, is the "insider" language bobby uses when he talks about drugs in order to sound swag and secretive. at least, that's what he thinks he sounds like. nobody else does. he seems to be a dopey idiot unable to think clearly any longer. "bobby, dont you think they know" is more of a rhetorical question with the lyrical i trying to offer some help but also seeing the pointlessness in this effort given bobby's already diminished mental faculties.

the line "i know you're tortured down below" sounds to me like the singer tries to show sympathy for bobby suffering not only from mental but also gastrointestinal problems, a physical side effect of heroin and cocaine use.

the more i listen to the song, the funnier it gets... with all the tragedy unfurling. poor bobby.

5/5 lanterns :):):):):)
Coke makes you impotent. Increases the desire though.

Back
Top Bottom