What Difference Does It Make? Test pressing or wishful thinking?

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can shed a little light on a possible test pressing of What Difference Does It Make? 7" format. I have checked Stephanes thorough information but can't seem to find information on this variation.

The 7" single has no cover sleeve just a standard black paper cover that you can see the label through. I don't know if this paper cover is original as I acquired the single in 1989.
The A side: What Difference Does It Make has no label on it at all. Run out has: RT 146 A-2U-1-1-1
The B side: Back to the Old House has a light blue label with all of the information you would expect - what I would consider to be the standard label when released. Run out RT 146 B-1U-1-1-5

These number suggest it may be a test pressing but they do not marry up with any test pressing numbers or any other RT 146 numbers that I can find? The eagle eyed and knowledgeable amongst you, will I hope, point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

For starters does it have a 4 prong push out centre or a solid centre? A push out centre is a fairly common promo that was issued to stores. There are also a few solid centre versions out there that were also promos. I had a solid centre that had a date stamp on it like other test pressings do and these are very very scarce indeed. If yours doesn't have a solid centre and a date stamped on it then it will not be a test pressing. The date stamp I think was 8 JAN 1984 but cannot be 100% sure.

For starters does it have a 4 prong push out centre or a solid centre? A push out centre is a fairly common promo that was issued to stores. There are also a few solid centre versions out there that were also promos. I had a solid centre that had a date stamp on it like other test pressings do and these are very very scarce indeed. If yours doesn't have a solid centre and a date stamped on it then it will not be a test pressing. The date stamp I think was 8 JAN 1984 but cannot be 100% sure.

Thank you for your reply. The centre is solid but there is no date stamp. As I say the b-side has the release label. The a-side has no label at all it is completely blank apart from what I have just discovered "Jonz" ? - even with a magnifying glass this was difficult to read. The b-side also has
"Sound clinic" in the run out. The RT146 numbers are seemingly unknown.

Just sounds like your standard stock copy which has forgotten to be stuck with an a-side label.

I've got 6 copies of WDDIM, solid and pushouts, all with different matrix numbers, doesnt mean a thing.

I've got 6 copies of WDDIM, solid and pushouts, all with different matrix numbers, doesnt mean a thing.

I am asking a specific question about the information I provided. If anyone has a specific response it would be much appreciated. Speculative responses provide me with more questions than answers.

I am asking a specific question about the information I provided. If anyone has a specific response it would be much appreciated. Speculative responses provide me with more questions than answers.

Sorted. Sort of. I found a similar version of the 7" with Jonz and Sound Clinic in the run out. That clears that up. The run out numbers are different. And, of course, the label to the a-side missing. I suspect it is more of a curio than a collectable test pressing.

Back
Top Bottom