TTY: SMITHS 45 - Morrissey involved in new Smiths 45 on Warner (Boy With The Thorn/Rubber Ring)

SMITHS 45 - true-to-you.net
29 November 2016

39450_screenshot_20161129_180942.jpg

Warner UK will release a previously unissued version of The Boy With The Thorn In His Side as a physical 45. The sleeve, above, is by Morrissey, with layout by Darren Evans at Warner UK. The B-side is a previously unissued version of Rubber Ring.
The sleeve image is Salford actor Albert Finney.
Details of availability of the record will follow shortly.

I hope that Warner will do the next Morrissey album then.

Related media:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I wonder ! :rolleyes:
Surely all the hardcore bots like marred arse and the gang should be boycotting new Smiths stuff due to its Joyce content.
Poor Martin, his bum must be twitching a bit at the very thought of Steve being involved, could the Lawnmowers destiny be all aboard the last gravy train heading to Shit Central in the new year ?
Stay tooned folks :tiphat: ( and bots ) :popcorn:

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

Well done, Baldy...you have actually outdone yourself...tedious, boring, unfunny and barely comprehensible. You must have been up all night writing this one. Genius!

Bit of information: Darren Evans left Warner UK 9 months ago, so this has either been being prepared for a while, or it was all ready to go from work done at some time in the past.

Marr hinted a christmas single recently in an ironic kind of way and everybody went: „Sigh…Awwwwww“ and now this!
Is Morrissey really capable of going one step beside the dead body to take a look @ the whole The Smiths legacy and give it a go, merchants?
I smell winter for he first time in late november since the late 80s.

Agree with Cornflakes - pardon my cynicism, but I think this is something that has been in existence for a while. There doesn't ever appear to be such thing as a coincidence in the Moz world - so when Martin Shkreli mentions he has/has access to unreleased Smiths tracks and similar surface less than a month later...
Make you wonder.
Regards,
FWD.

SMITHS 45 - true-to-you.net
29 November 2016

39450_screenshot_20161129_180942.jpg

Warner UK will release a previously unissued version of The Boy With The Thorn In His Side as a physical 45. The sleeve, above, is by Morrissey, with layout by Darren Evans at Warner UK. The B-side is a previously unissued version of Rubber Ring.
The sleeve image is Salford actor Albert Finney.
Details of availability of the record will follow shortly.

I hope that Warner will do the next Morrissey album then.

That is great news!
And I love the Moz-design with Albert Finney.
Great photo.
So there was some truth in Johnny Marr's jokingly comment about having a Smiths Christmas single out.
I voted for Vicar In A Tutu but this is great!

Could Moz have a deal with Warner and will his written new album be produced? Recorded? Or only distributed by Warner?
Maybe when this gets enough airplay on radio and does well we will be teased with new info !

nice cover.how much stuff recordings wise do Morrissey and marr have,could still be a lot of stuff out there.

Well, basically more demos and unreelased studio versions of songs that only got released in BBC session form (Handsome Devil, Sweet and Tender Hooligan...)

Great news though!!!

Bit of information: Darren Evans left Warner UK 9 months ago, so this has either been being prepared for a while, or it was all ready to go from work done at some time in the past.

Good point. And we know there have been redeployments of Morrissey sleeve art that was never originally used, so his contemporary involvement may have been minimal. The mastering of these songs could also have been completed when Johnny supervised the remastering a number of years ago.

That all being said, on the surface, it would seem some kind of broader release is forthcoming, as Morrissey has been loathe to promote or announce any release spearheaded by Warners for a decade or better.

Surely the drums will be newly layered in by Matt Walker, and will subtly replace the sound of a lawnmower with a broken timing belt.

What a great sleeve, I love it!
Does anybody know if this demo mix is actually the original single version of the song? (which was in fact a demo)

What a great sleeve, I love it!
Does anybody know if this demo mix is actually the original single version of the song? (which was in fact a demo)

The single version was based on the demo, but they then went into the studio to work on it a bit more. My guess is this will be the demo as it was before they did that.

What Smiths sleeve was Albert to appear on when he refused the first time? I am old and my memory is lacking.
It was Strangeways.
The sleeve art was used for the backdrop on Moz's '88 Wolves comeback show.
The use of Finney on the sleeve could be significant in this case. Although the Strangeways version was a Still from Saturday Night and Sunday Morning - one of my very favourite movies of all time.

It was Strangeways.
The sleeve art was used for the backdrop on Moz's '88 Wolves comeback show.
The use of Finney on the sleeve could be significant in this case. Although the Strangeways version was a Still from Saturday Night and Sunday Morning - one of my very favourite movies of all time.

It was Heaven Knows. Strangeways was Harvey Keitel. Sorry to be a know-it-all.

Re-issue! Re-package! Re-package!
Re-evaluate the songs
Double-pack with a photograph
Extra track (and a tacky badge)

Best of! Most of!
Satiate the need
Slip them into different sleeves!
Buy both, and feel deceived

Pleased to see that Moz is warming up to the idea of allowing further Smiths releases, whatever his reasons may be.

As for the artwork, I like the image he has chosen, but not so much the font and colour used for the titles. And I particularly dislike the fact that the song title features on the front cover, I would have preferred something truer to the design of the singles released in the 80s.

As for the version to be released, I believe it will be the studio outtake that was going to be included in the bonus CD for the aborted re-issue of TQID (track length 3:23).

Sure - it may well have been prepared ages ago before being blocked (Johnny previously spoke of wishing put out some unreleased material but 'someone' was blocking it) - and even the cover may be old - but the fact it's broken on True To You obviously means that Morrissey is in favour of it, and he and Johnny must presumably have got back in contact with each other again within the last couple of months to OK it for release. I'm guessing the fact that Johnny was very careful not to attack Moz in his book, and has been generally very positive regarding the his ex-partner over the whole media onslaught he's been engaged in recently has paid off.

That it may be part of a deal (Warner re-issues World Peace, in return for Moz letting them put out some Smiths material) also seems likely - but if Johnny had been slagging Moz off in the press, I doubt Morrissey would want anything to do with his old band.

Fingers crossed the thawed relationship holds out - at least until we get a nice juicy boxset of previously unreleased material!

apparently, Morrissey has had this particular Albert bringing up the rear during the recent round of live concerts {"Have-A-Go-Merchant", naturally}; i wouldn't know as i don't get out much these days.

Originally appeared in 'Life' ~ September 15th 1961:

content

Found three years ago by this smashing blog ~
https://moviesofcourse.wordpress.com/2013/04/05/a-sudden-surge-in-magnetic-males/

Was Toddler Steven clipping at Two? ;)

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom