"To die by his side: How far is too far for Morrissey’s devout fanbase?" - FACT Magazine

To die by his side: How far is too far for Morrissey’s devout fanbase? - FACT Magazine
by April Clare Welsh

A rather interesting article allowing both sides of the argument. Includes contribution from the man who still runs this website for better or worse...

The audiences he has been attracting in Mexico are phenomenal for someone without a record deal but the glory days are long gone for me.

Related items:

Last edited by a moderator:
These are some interesting points, but the argument (of the controversy in general) didn’t go t-shirt says Baldwin=black, black=depressed, depressed=inferior. If anything, as you say, Morrissey glamourises “depression”. (I put depression in quotation marks because there’s a distinction that I’ve been missing throughout this whole debate: the subject in the song feels black on the inside because he feels he doesn’t belong, he’s an outsider, and there is some unrequited love - but that’s a far cry from suffering from depression (the illness) / clinical depression.)

The argument of the controversy in general goes t-shirt says Baldwin=black, black=state of mind, black=skin colour. Which is not necessarily racist, but it’s certainly not clever, it's so lacking in nuance, and the main problem people have with it is that he did this in spite of his many past racial insensitivities. He must have known how this would be received and he didn’t care.

Well, the problem With that line of reasoning is that it completely ignores the nature of ambiguity, which is the capacity of complex statements to have several meanings at once, without those meanings forming a Connected and coherent Whole. In other Words, one cannot take as implied a Connection between black as a skin color (and also as an Identity, where Baldwin is concerned) and black as a state of mind (in the sense of being depressed), just because they are juxtaposed. "Black" in this context is a homonym - and the point of the statement is that both of its meanings are pertinent to Baldwin.

And sorry for the Wild capitalisation, I have no idea why that happens.

Well, the problem With that line of reasoning is that it completely ignores the nature of ambiguity, which is the capacity of complex statements to have several meanings at once, without those meanings forming a Connected and coherent Whole. In other Words, one cannot take as implied a Connection between black as a skin color (and also as an Identity, where Baldwin is concerned) and black as a state of mind (in the sense of being depressed), just because they are juxtaposed. "Black" in this context is a homonym - and the point of the statement is that both of its meanings are pertinent to Baldwin.

The problem is that it's really obvious what "black" means when it's a black man on the t-shirt. Of course it's possible that another meaning can be constructed but you can definitely "take as implied a connection between black as a skin color ... and black as a state of mind." It's very obvious. Otherwise we're playing this game where we pretend we see him as a man and not as a black man, and doesn't that strip him of some of his identity?
To me that reading isn't less offensive, it's far more offensive. But then I'm not one of the people that's offended by the shirt. I just think it's dumb and arrogant and that it makes a sort of cheap visual pun at the expense of someone that Morrissey claims to have respect for, but won't even identify on the shirt.

AND ignoring that it's about "black as a skin color" and "black on the inside" also means we have to ignore that Morrissey said that President Obama was "white on the inside." Morrissey is really not the one to try to attribute some highly nuanced statement to. Look at his puns. "Predicament Trump" ? He's been dropping bad puns for years and they're so bad they're funny sometimes but they are evidence of someone who would mean exactly what most people see when they see this shirt, a bad pun. As I said, often so bad they are funny, but when you start making jokes about race and social identity, "so bad it's funny" is less likely to be well received.
He knew exactly what he was doing which was getting attention, and I think he enjoys testing his "true fans," giving those who dislike him something to talk about, and making his name known to those who don't know who he is. This t-shirt nonsense did all three of those things. Most of his public actions do.

Yes we know that both of the meanings of black in his statement are pertinent to James Baldwin. That’s why the t-shirt is so rude.

I don’t understand why it’s so difficult to be a bit careful when it comes to race. The more I think about this the more annoyed I get. It’s also another example of Morrissey’s great hypocrisy. He himself refuses to be labelled, we all know that descriptions like “gay” or “bisexual” are totally beneath him because he is a special snowflake and oooh enigmatic and he makes up his own labels, but he has no problems slapping “black” with all its implications onto someone else in such a blunt manner.

Last edited:
Yes we know that both of the meanings of black in his statement are pertinent to James Baldwin. That’s why the t-shirt is so rude.

I don’t understand why it’s so difficult to be a bit careful when it comes to race. The more I think about this the more annoyed I get. It’s also another example of Morrissey’s great hypocrisy. He himself refuses to be labelled, we all know that descriptions like “gay” or “bisexual” are totally beneath him because he is a special snowflake and oooh enigmatic and he makes up his own labels, but he has no problems slapping “black” with all its implications onto someone else in such a blunt manner.

You are the major hypocrite here who labels him as gay when he doesn't want to labeled at all, by the reasons he may have, which belong to him and he doesn't have the obligation to explain to you or to other people. It's his right and his privilege to label himself as he desires or not to be labeled at all.

Taking in consideration the hypersensitivity of a divided society that t-shirt was a mistake, but a non intentional one, because he admires Baldwin and it's crystal clear for people with faith in human nature that it was intended to be a tribute. Maybe by his mancurian origin and his american life, like other british and americans, he is constantly bombarded in the streets and the media with phrases like "white man", "latino woman", "black kid", etc. I noticed that seemingly good people who expresses in that way are completly unaware of how discriminating and out of place is referring to someone by a color, be it white, yellow or black, just by the tone of the skin. They are the victims, not the the haters who promotes the supremacy of a race to make business, like slavery or expopiation of other people's fortunes by the way of inventing things like arian race, jew land, black supremacy or any other fraud they could invent in the future and stupids could buy, all of them at the level of ingenuity and malignity of the infamous Ponzi scheme.

Human greed can produce big atrocities and absurdities in the shape of ideologies, "scientific truths" or other demoniacal things to make business. Like some manipulations in music business, for example, a topic Morrissey talked about in other times related to reverse discrimination, a kind of discrimintion that people who fees the monster of discrimination, and make a good living of it, say that it doesn't exist. Personally, that's the kind of Morrissey I like, the non-obvious one. The one who doesn't buy pre-packed ideas. I don't know if it still is the Morrissey he currently is or the one he wants to be from now on. It's his privilege and he already won more than our respect about his personal choices, the battles he wans to fight and his changes of opinion.

You are the major hypocrite here who labels him as gay when he doesn't want to labeled at all, by the reasons he may have, which belong to him and he doesn't have the obligation to explain to you or to other people. It's his right and his privilege to label himself as he desires or not to be labeled at all.

Taking in consideration the hypersensitivity of a divided society that t-shirt was a mistake, but a non intentional one, because he admires Baldwin and it's crystal clear for people with faith in human nature that it was intended to be a tribute. Maybe by his mancurian origin and his american life, like other british and americans, he is constantly bombarded in the streets and the media with phrases like "white man", "latino woman", "black kid", etc. I noticed that seemingly good people who expresses in that way are completly unaware of how discriminating and out of place is referring to someone by a color, be it white, yellow or black, just by the tone of the skin. They are the victims, not the the haters who promotes the supremacy of a race to make business, like slavery or expopiation of other people's fortunes by the way of inventing things like arian race, jew land, black supremacy or any other fraud they could invent in the future and stupids could buy, all of them at the level of ingenuity and malignity of the infamous Ponzi scheme.

Human greed can produce big atrocities and absurdities in the shape of ideologies, "scientific truths" or other demoniacal things to make business. Like some manipulations in music business, for example, a topic Morrissey talked about in other times related to reverse discrimination, a kind of discrimintion that people who fees the monster of discrimination, and make a good living of it, say that it doesn't exist. Personally, that's the kind of Morrissey I like, the non-obvious one. The one who doesn't buy pre-packed ideas. I don't know if it still is the Morrissey he currently is or the one he wants to be from now on. It's his privilege and he already won more than our respect about his personal choices, the battles he wans to fight and his changes of opinion.

Welcome back, "countthree"!

There's a ton of words there, but a big bag 'o' nowt ultimately. And 'Mancurian'??

But why label himself a humasexual when he could just say he's bi-sexual, and let's be honest he's stretching it a wee bit with that label when in truth he's living life in the shadow Barry Manilow and his husband.

Yes the t-shirt was a massive mistake but what kind of business would allow it get to the production stage before realising they're about to drop a massive clanger ?
He should should pack in the tacky merchandise trade and go back to trying his hand at writing songs ( although I wish him all the best with that one given his recent efforts ).

Nobody left to blame now for the position he finds himself in.
Poor Steve, couldn't have happened to nicer bi-guy.:D

Fingers crossed he won't get the tour crew to throw ladies lingerie at him on the next few dates:rolleyes:

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

There's a ton of words there, but a big bag 'o' nowt ultimately. And 'Mancurian'??

I shouldn't write in my phone. Now that I read it, there are a lot of missing letters and even words. Who cares? I don't have a degree in English Literature. It's obvious.

The problem is that it's really obvious what "black" means when it's a black man on the t-shirt. Of course it's possible that another meaning can be constructed but you can definitely "take as implied a connection between black as a skin color ... and black as a state of mind." It's very obvious. Otherwise we're playing this game where we pretend we see him as a man and not as a black man, and doesn't that strip him of some of his identity?
To me that reading isn't less offensive, it's far more offensive. But then I'm not one of the people that's offended by the shirt. I just think it's dumb and arrogant and that it makes a sort of cheap visual pun at the expense of someone that Morrissey claims to have respect for, but won't even identify on the shirt.

AND ignoring that it's about "black as a skin color" and "black on the inside" also means we have to ignore that Morrissey said that President Obama was "white on the inside." Morrissey is really not the one to try to attribute some highly nuanced statement to. Look at his puns. "Predicament Trump" ? He's been dropping bad puns for years and they're so bad they're funny sometimes but they are evidence of someone who would mean exactly what most people see when they see this shirt, a bad pun. As I said, often so bad they are funny, but when you start making jokes about race and social identity, "so bad it's funny" is less likely to be well received.
He knew exactly what he was doing which was getting attention, and I think he enjoys testing his "true fans," giving those who dislike him something to talk about, and making his name known to those who don't know who he is. This t-shirt nonsense did all three of those things. Most of his public actions do.

Oh really? It's "really obvious" what "black" means when there's a black man on the t-shirt? I disagree, strongly. Because what is also on the t-shirt is not just a Picture of a black man, but a well-known Smiths lyric quote which uses the term "black" in a completely different sense. To ignore that is to ignore context, particularly in view of Morrissey's publicly stated deep admiration of Baldwin. And Your speculations around Morrissey's motives seem to me futile as well as hostile.

Rude?! What you Write does not make sense to me on any Level.

the bigger mistake is that he pulled it from sale.

We'll Let You Know rated your post
clear.png
Troll in this thread :laughing:

WE'LL LET YOU TROLL :thumb:

Last edited:
Oh really? It's "really obvious" what "black" means when there's a black man on the t-shirt? I disagree, strongly. Because what is also on the t-shirt is not just a Picture of a black man, but a well-known Smiths lyric quote which uses the term "black" in a completely different sense. To ignore that is to ignore context, particularly in view of Morrissey's publicly stated deep admiration of Baldwin. And Your speculations around Morrissey's motives seem to me futile as well as hostile.

Gotta agree. Even if you don't know the lyric and don't have that context his being black still shouldn't be the mans dominant defining feature. It shouldn't be really obvious that the word black next to a pic of a black man must be in reference to his race. Especially when the pic is of a man who really didn't want race and color to be his defining characteristic. There a bunch of possible meanings to the words and pic one relating to his depression, one that could just be pointlessly literal and superficial and one that could be about his race. Some insist on seeing one as being obvious

I shouldn't write in my phone. Now that I read it, there are a lot of missing letters and even words. Who cares? I don't have a degree in English Literature. It's obvious.

Or better still don't write a load of shit *in your phone :thumb:

Good God ! As I'm writing this Steven and the lawnmowers are performing on sky arts channel (25 live)
My 4ckin ears are hurting, what the 4ck is going on ? Jesse is committing suicide solo on ouija board and the cameras are making me want to spew up.
What a 4ckin cheapo production !
Awful !

Or better still don't write a load of shit *in your phone :thumb:

Good God ! As I'm writing this Steven and the lawnmowers are performing on sky arts channel (25 live)
My 4ckin ears are hurting, what the 4ck is going on ? Jesse is committing suicide solo on ouija board and the cameras are making me want to spew up.
What a 4ckin cheapo production !
Awful !

Ive just spewed up folks ! :barf:
"Julia, would you like to make sense "

'25 Shite' would have been a better title.

Totally embarrassed !

Yes, really. "What is also on the t-shirt: using the term black in a completely different sense, is juxtaposed with a "picture of a black man." Those are your words, "picture of a black man." Not "picture of a man Morrissey admires," "picture of a well-known writer," "picture of a man who wrote about his own depression," but "picture of a black man."
I wrote about puns and Morrissey's well known usage of puns. I didn't say the shirt meant just one thing. To ignore that is to ignore most of my post.
Now explain to me this quote about Morrissey's views of President Obama's handlng of race relations in America, “Obama seems to be white inside.” In what sense is he using the term "white?"
If you'd like to put that in context for me in a way that isn't obviously about skin color as cultural identity, I'd be glad to read it.

Gotta agree. Even if you don't know the lyric and don't have that context his being black still shouldn't be the mans dominant defining feature. It shouldn't be really obvious that the word black next to a pic of a black man must be in reference to his race. Especially when the pic is of a man who really didn't want race and color to be his defining characteristic. There a bunch of possible meanings to the words and pic one relating to his depression, one that could just be pointlessly literal and superficial and one that could be about his race. Some insist on seeing one as being obvious

This would be more convincing if both of you didn't refer to him as "a black man."
I worked for this woman who was black who claimed to be "color blind" about race. One day she asked me to go to the back room and bring out "the black books." I expected to find books with black covers and when there were none I asked for clarification. She wanted the "books by the black authors."
Now it's not her fault that she sees them as "black" and there is nothing wrong with wanting to see people as people without classifying them by skin color. It's a great goal and I'm all for it. But we're not there yet. We have a history of people being sorted by color, not just in the US but throughout the world and going back thousands of years at least. So to pretend that everything is all equal now, that these divisions don't exist and that you're not aware of them, that they are not the first thing you see, in fact, is truly racist, elitist, and privileged, because, like the shirt, it trivializes the condition and situations one faces being a black person in America.

This would be more convincing if both of you didn't refer to him as "a black man."
I worked for this woman who was black who claimed to be "color blind" about race. One day she asked me to go to the back room and bring out "the black books." I expected to find books with black covers and when there were none I asked for clarification. She wanted the "books by the black authors."
Now it's not her fault that she sees them as "black" and there is nothing wrong with wanting to see people as people without classifying them by skin color. It's a great goal and I'm all for it. But we're not there yet. We have a history of people being sorted by color, not just in the US but throughout the world and going back thousands of years at least. So to pretend that everything is all equal now, that these divisions don't exist and that you're not aware of them, that they are not the first thing you see, in fact, is truly racist, elitist, and privileged, because, like the shirt, it trivializes the condition and situations one faces being a black person in America.

No ones denying racism exists, just that this shirts meaning isn't about race unless you want it to be and that should say something about the viewer. I referred to him as a black man because it's an example of the way others saw him regardless of other interpretations available. The sentence and example wouldn't make sense otherwise. The last time I referred to him in my post I referred to him as just a man. Just because racism exists doesn't mean we should try so hard to make every situation involving a minority about there race. Sometimes a pic of an Asian person eating a banana is just about fruit

Maybe a lot of people don't "pretend" to be "color-blind about race" as you say. Maybe millions of human beings around the world, including a lot of Americans, were raised with other moral values different from racism. That is very relevant and must be taken in consideration, because "America is not the world".

You can not say that those millions who believe there's only one race of human beings, a lot of them far less privileged than the less privileged american citizen, are trivializing the condition of an american citizen ignoring his skin tone. Unless you are trying to say the only moral values and human rights you validate are the ones of the majority segment of american people, and the rest of the world should adhere to that ideology. That would be imperialism.

In fact, I seriously think that who are trivializing the serious situation that a huge part of the world is suffering right now, are some of the very privileged american citizens who use their skin tone as an excuse to victimize themselves, cashing money writing very well promoted articles and songs about how hard is to be an american with a darker skin tone, when they actually have at least basic safety and food, which is a privilege in more than half of the world. Other human beings are suffering terrible wars, hungry and concentration camps, even in places like Europe or Australia.

The truth is fake liberals and self proclaimed social activists of today are pain blind about the real suffering of today's world, they use their keyboards to write about the suffering of past slavery and social trivialities, but at the same time they shamefully ignore the big cruelties of our present times. They feel offended by t-shirts and oscar nominations, but they seem to be blind about serious humanitarian crisis around the world that happen in our faces and we can't ignore them in the era of information. Hypocrisy is the only word that suits the situation. Sorry, the train of racism is already gone, gone.

There's actual slavery around the world in 2017 and nobody cares about it in mainstream media, and the descendents of former american slaves are more worried about oscars prizes than about the pain of all the people around the world who are suffering the same destiny of their ancestors. Shame on us.

No ones denying racism exists, just that this shirts meaning isn't about race unless you want it to be and that should say something about the viewer. I referred to him as a black man because it's an example of the way others saw him regardless of other interpretations available. The sentence and example wouldn't make sense otherwise. The last time I referred to him in my post I referred to him as just a man. Just because racism exists doesn't mean we should try so hard to make every situation involving a minority about there race. Sometimes a pic of an Asian person eating a banana is just about fruit

This is nonsense. You won't even take responsibility for the language you use.

Maybe a lot of people don't "pretend" to be "color-blind about race" as you say. Maybe millions of human beings around the world, including a lot of Americans, were raised with other moral values different from racism. That is very relevant and must be taken in consideration, because "America is not the world".

You can not say that those millions who believe there's only one race of human beings, a lot of them far less privileged than the less privileged american citizen, are trivializing the condition of an american citizen ignoring his skin tone. Unless you are trying to say the only moral values and human rights you validate are the ones of the majority segment of american people, and the rest of the world should adhere to that ideology. That would be imperialism.

In fact, I seriously think that who are trivializing the serious situation that a huge part of the world is suffering right now, are some of the very privileged american citizens who use their skin tone as an excuse to victimize themselves, cashing money writing very well promoted articles and songs about how hard is to be an american with a darker skin tone, when they actually have at least basic safety and food, which is a privilege in more than half of the world. Other human beings are suffering terrible wars, hungry and concentration camps, even in places like Europe or Australia.

The truth is fake liberals and self proclaimed social activists of today are pain blind about the real suffering of today's world, they use their keyboards to write about the suffering of past slavery and social trivialities, but at the same time they shamefully ignore the big cruelties of our present times. They feel offended by t-shirts and oscar nominations, but they seem to be blind about serious humanitarian crisis around the world that happen in our faces and we can't ignore them in the era of information. Hypocrisy is the only word that suits the situation. Sorry, the train of racism is already gone, gone.

There's actual slavery around the world in 2017 and nobody cares about it in mainstream media, and the descendents of former american slaves are more worried about oscars prizes than about the pain of all the people around the world who are suffering the same destiny of their ancestors. Shame on us.

You can underline it, you can bold it, you can write it in ALL CAPS, but the one thing you have failed to do is make it coherent.
"You can not say that those millions who believe there's only one race of human beings, a lot of them far less privileged than the less privileged american citizen, are trivializing the condition of an american citizen ignoring his skin tone."
What?
"writing very well promoted articles and songs about how hard is to be an american with a darker skin tone, when they actually have at least basic safety and food, which is a privilege"
If black people, sorry, people with darker skin tone, in America have food and basic safety this is a privilege? That's an interesting take for someone who believes race doesn't exist, and that racism is over.
It's pretty obvious that you think that black people in America should shut up with the complaints and be happy that they have food. Slaves had food. Were they privileged?
And you seem to have an issue with people protesting that academy awards go almost exclusively to white people. I guess these people that protest should just be glad that they are allowed to go to the cinema and watch a movie.
You also seem to think that there are mobs of people in America protesting this t-shirt which I think would be overstating the situation. Most people here don't know who Morrissey is. If they have heard of him it's because of some idiotic statement he has made in the press. But there are also an awful lot of people that used to listen to him or to The Smiths, along with Depeche Mode, New Order, and The Cure, but great masses of these people are not even aware an entity called Morrissey is still occasionally releasing some product. They aren't "checking for him" as the kids say. So if you're afraid that the protests against the t-shirt are taking valuable protesting energy away from the Syria attacks or something let me assure you nothing could be further from the truth.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom