Tim Booth in Q (March 2019) - Morrissey, early Smiths support, "We Hate It..." confirmation

Posted by an anonymous person (original post):

"...much more interesting is the James Q Mag (March 2019) interview where Tim Booth bitches about Moz and gives praise for the Smiths early support.....Not sure why this hasnt been mentioned here yet ....very funny how Morrissey refused to go onUS tour without James and especially the "Calendar" picture anecdote!!!

Excerpt from the interview:

"...But [Tony] Wilson was amazing. He begged us to make an LP for Factory and we really should have. But we were steered away to Sire [The Smiths' American label]. Who were The Big Bad Wolf. Morrissey warned us about Sire. We should have listened."

Morrissey's patronage - inviting James as Smiths tour support, covering Jimone's What’s The World and naming them his "favourite" band in the music press - brought them the deserved spotlight they'd hitherto preciously avoided. The two sensitive, "celibate", vegetarian singers were obvious kindred spirits. "He was a good friend," Booth says of Morrissey. "He’d ring me up and say 'Come on out' and we'd go around church graveyards.""

Like in The Smiths' Cemetry Gates?

"Yes," he says fondly. "The Smiths were really lovely to us for years. Morrissey and Johnny Marr came to the studio when we were recording Stutter. They told us we should release Johnny Yen as a single, and we didn’t listen, and they were totally right."

Booth believes the friendship first strained when James turned down the offer to support The Smiths on their 1986 North American tour. "He went AWOL two days before. Rough Trade rang me up and said, 'Do you know where Morrissey is? He's refusing to go to America without you.' He went in the end, but I think he was a bit upset."

Five years later, solo Morrissey invited James to join him on the bill of an ITV music special celebrating 30 years of Amnesty International where he planned to preview his new single, a vaudeville retort to James’s newfound fortunes: We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful. "It was [about us]," confirms Booth. "Kevin Cummins took a lovely photo of us there together backstage. Then much later Morrissey did an official calendar. It was 10 pictures of him, one of The Smiths, and that one of him with his arm around me. And we looked sooo gay together! And I was like..." Booth’s eyebrows fandango. "That's a little out there! I had no problem with it. It was, 'Oh, really? You still love me? That's sweet.' But Morrissey fell out with me in the end because I stopped being a vegetarian. I think. Because of my liver, physically I got so sick with the diet. There are only certain things I can eat, even now." He scoops another spoonful of meaty broth. "And chicken soup is one of them."

45850_gettyimages-580480073-1024x1024.jpg

Hey Surface, you’ve been corrected by an anon (below). Time to stop treating the local pub gossip (from has-been celebrities) as gospel. It’s not good to spread misinformation on solo.

Peter Hook told me that himself, believe who what you want it doesn’t matter to me.

Don't really know anything about what James has been recently up to, but Music Complete (2015) by New Order was a joyous late career comeback after some very lacklustre albums and side projects, which has been widely praised. While World Peace and LIHS are not definitely the disasters some here would like to portray them to be, they are no way in the same league as Music Complete.

And I did "like" Surface's post, so Ketamine can pat him/herself in the back for that astonishing act of clairvoyance.

"Music Complete" what a pompous title, par for the course for a pompous band.

MUSIC COMPLETE!!! YES LITTLE PEOPLE WE HAVE MUSIC COMPLETE!!:swear:swear

HEY HO,WE GOT IT!!!! IN A CLOSET INSIDE A HOVEL IN SURFACE LOW RENT CUL DE SAC!!!:swear

(PS-Music Complete album pretty much sucks :monkey::baseball:)

FFS Eldritch=Surface who = Skinny aka Beezalbub:straightface:

ps just because someone is having pints in a pub doesnt make him 'peter hook' FFS:rock:

At the end of the day :highfive:
That picture of Tim and Steve remains "Soooooo Gay"

Next ! :tiphat:

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

At the end of the day :highfive:
That picture of Tim and Steve remains "Soooooo Gay"

Next ! :tiphat:

Yes it does, Benny. And it's also very sweet. And if people don't have the intelligence to read Tim's meaning, and his obvious affection for Morrissey, without getting all triggered over the word 'gay', that's their sad life.

:rolleyes:

nice homophobic sock puppetry:straightface:
just because Surface is triggered with it, no need for ALL sock puppets to follow suit.:censored:

do you all have to do whatever Surface does?:censored:

Peter Hook told me that himself, believe who what you want it doesn’t matter to me.

Billboard decided to stir the pot a while back and got Peter Hook to 'review' Barney's autobiography :lbf:. I wish they'd get Johnny or someone like Geoff Travis to review Morrissey's tome...

Yes it does, Benny. And it's also very sweet. And if people don't have the intelligence to read Tim's meaning, and his obvious affection for Morrissey, without getting all triggered over the word 'gay', that's their sad life.

Yep :thumb:
What's all the fuss about?
X

Good news, Tim Booths fans,
i requested a price (and discount noting he
has no money) for him to have gay therapy.
:thumb:

Many people here have caught Morrissey's persecution complex and look for insults in every comment about Moz made by everyone ever, especially by fellow musicians. The sheer ignorance, belittling and paranoia towards every musician who is not a friend of Morrissey (i.e. Linder Sterling and James "Who?" Maker) is thoroughly depressing. While Morrissey himself is perhaps the bitterest and nastiest man in pop, when it comes to commenting other people and their art.

Many people here have caught Morrissey's persecution complex and look for insults in every comment about Moz made by everyone ever, especially by fellow musicians. The sheer ignorance, belittling and paranoia towards every musician who is not a friend of Morrissey (i.e. Linder Sterling and James "Who?" Maker) is thoroughly depressing. While Morrissey himself is perhaps the bitterest and nastiest man in pop, when it comes to commenting other people and their art.
I agree, Eldritch. I also think we live in an age where people are ready to be offended before stopping to think about whether something is actually offensive. Context is everything, but some people have forgotten how to use this critical faculty.

---_0209.jpg

I take it this photo is not considered super gay by the skinny sock puppets:rolleyes:
hes wearing a feather boa around his neck FFS

this Tim Boots dude need to get together with his gayness and quit projecting
on Moz and others.o_O

Yeah, I agree. Some people got really wound up and found my passing comment actually offensive. Obviously, like you say, they were DEFINITELY not using their critical faculties, that’s if they have them in the first place.

Instead of getting so upset by my mere opinion, they should just put me on ignore if they can’t resist reading and being so easily triggered by my posts.

:tiphat:

I agree, Eldritch. I also think we live in an age where people are ready to be offended before stopping to think about whether something is actually offensive. Context is everything, but some people have forgotten how to use this critical faculty.

The sheer ignorance, belittling and paranoia towards every musician who is not a friend of Morrissey (i.e. Linder Sterling and James "Who?" Maker) is thoroughly depressing.

:lbf: love this.

Reckon this bald little tit c*** wacker teaches Jazzercise in Topanga Canyon and Westwood with some lezbo chick. Is this bald tit just another on the long list of Brits like James Corden, Al White, Rusty Brand (well he couldn't afford LA) etc...who move to Moz Angeles just to stalk The California Son? What is the tie in to The California Son. This little fek tit looks like Freddy Krueger m8 in n n n n n nnn n din't n n n it.

Yeah, I guess Maker will never be as famous as you and Eldritch. :rolleyes:

James Maker is an unknown, in spite of Morrissey's vigorous and repeated attempts to promote his music over the years (he even released a single via Attack Records). He had a LOT of help from Moz (who got Raymonde signed in the '80s) but just never 'made it' and recently retired from music.

To be fair, the world of is full of great musicians who have never been successful and bad ones who have sold millions. But the herd mentality here, which on the other praises Morrissey's two remaining friends and belittles hugely influental names from New Order to Pet Shop Boys is ridiculous. Which goes hand in hand with slagging off every one of Morrissey's former collaborators, even while they themselves have never said a bad word about him.

So for all I know, James Maker may be a really talented chap, but if I didn't spend time here, I'd never have heard of him. Even now I have not heard one song of his. And I have read a ton of British music papers from the late eighties on.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom