Tim Booth in Q (March 2019) - Morrissey, early Smiths support, "We Hate It..." confirmation

Posted by an anonymous person (original post):

"...much more interesting is the James Q Mag (March 2019) interview where Tim Booth bitches about Moz and gives praise for the Smiths early support.....Not sure why this hasnt been mentioned here yet ....very funny how Morrissey refused to go onUS tour without James and especially the "Calendar" picture anecdote!!!

Excerpt from the interview:

"...But [Tony] Wilson was amazing. He begged us to make an LP for Factory and we really should have. But we were steered away to Sire [The Smiths' American label]. Who were The Big Bad Wolf. Morrissey warned us about Sire. We should have listened."

Morrissey's patronage - inviting James as Smiths tour support, covering Jimone's What’s The World and naming them his "favourite" band in the music press - brought them the deserved spotlight they'd hitherto preciously avoided. The two sensitive, "celibate", vegetarian singers were obvious kindred spirits. "He was a good friend," Booth says of Morrissey. "He’d ring me up and say 'Come on out' and we'd go around church graveyards.""

Like in The Smiths' Cemetry Gates?

"Yes," he says fondly. "The Smiths were really lovely to us for years. Morrissey and Johnny Marr came to the studio when we were recording Stutter. They told us we should release Johnny Yen as a single, and we didn’t listen, and they were totally right."

Booth believes the friendship first strained when James turned down the offer to support The Smiths on their 1986 North American tour. "He went AWOL two days before. Rough Trade rang me up and said, 'Do you know where Morrissey is? He's refusing to go to America without you.' He went in the end, but I think he was a bit upset."

Five years later, solo Morrissey invited James to join him on the bill of an ITV music special celebrating 30 years of Amnesty International where he planned to preview his new single, a vaudeville retort to James’s newfound fortunes: We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful. "It was [about us]," confirms Booth. "Kevin Cummins took a lovely photo of us there together backstage. Then much later Morrissey did an official calendar. It was 10 pictures of him, one of The Smiths, and that one of him with his arm around me. And we looked sooo gay together! And I was like..." Booth’s eyebrows fandango. "That's a little out there! I had no problem with it. It was, 'Oh, really? You still love me? That's sweet.' But Morrissey fell out with me in the end because I stopped being a vegetarian. I think. Because of my liver, physically I got so sick with the diet. There are only certain things I can eat, even now." He scoops another spoonful of meaty broth. "And chicken soup is one of them."

45850_gettyimages-580480073-1024x1024.jpg

hes a local VIP over at the run down cul de sac where he inhabits.:lbf:
he probably looking out the window now to see if NEW ORDER is walking the
dog so he can run out and 'bump' into him and 'talk shop'. HEY HO NEW ORDER
its me!!!:lbf:

:lbf::lbf::lbf::lbf::thumb: too true !

If ever proof were needed, here you are, Ketamine and the site troll tag teaming. Do the two of you discuss anything other than posts on solo while your having your breakfast?

tag teaming? like what you did with Peppermint troll and then with anon troll in this same thread ?

And why do you care who I respond to? Why are you obsessed with me? Lets remember, YOU are the one that responded with anger to my initial post. I don't know why you care so much about my posts and what I think.

tag teaming? like what you did with Peppermint troll and then with anon troll in this same thread ?

And why do you care who I respond to? Why are you obsessed with me? Lets remember, YOU are the one that responded with anger to my initial post. I don't know why you care so much about my posts and what I think.

Not obsessed tall just, dont give a shit about you but it’s great fun winding you up but that’s enough for now as I’m bored with this discussion. Bye bye.

HEY HO!!
hey ho hey ho a netballing we will go!!!!!:lbf:

OK all nutters gather up, bring cash, "surface"o_Owill be taking
you to buy pints to has beens nobody has heard of:lbf:

HEY HO!!

how can we forget!!! hes a billionaire real estate mogul when not netballing with grade Z music celebrities over
at the cul de sac.:rolleyes:

how can i have overlooked this crucial info???:laughing:

You two are perfect for each other but could you please take your romance elsewhere. It’s repulsive and off-topic.
You're just jealous cause I dumped ya and your post insulted Countthree more than you will ever know.

I've still got this calendar in my collection, my Mum got it for me, no idea how she got hold of it as there was no online shopping back then. I remember coming across the pic of Tim and Steve and thinking straight away, "hmmmm that looks sooooo gay" and to be honest it still does BUT we all know on M-Solo that Steve isn't queer really don't we :rolleyes:
On the subject of Peter Hook Surface. He's giving some sort of lecture/talk in Manchester this weekend. I think it's about one of Joy Divisions albums, I only know this because my eldest has started playing bass and is mad on J D and Peter Hook so he's popping up from university. I'll get to see him for a couple of hours then he's heading straight back.
And no I'm NOT homophobic :thumb:

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

I've still got this calendar in my collection, my Mum got it for me, no idea how she got hold of it as there was no online shopping back then. I remember coming across the pic of Tim and Steve and thinking straight away, "hmmmm that looks sooooo gay" and to be honest it still does BUT we all know on M-Solo that Steve isn't queer really don't we :rolleyes:
On the subject of Peter Hook Surface. He's giving some sort of lecture/talk in Manchester this weekend. I think it's about one of Joy Divisions albums, I only know this because my eldest has started playing bass and is mad on J D and Peter Hook so he's popping up from university. I'll get to see him for a couple of hours then he's heading straight back.

:rolleyes:

OK Surface, thanks for the update:crazy:

Yes thats up in the Northern Quarter I think, I’m off to see him doing Technique and Republic later this month. They have had to completely reprogramme the midi sequencer parts as Bernard wouldn’t give him copies of the originals. All very petty considering everything they’ve been through over the years.

There are no 'originals' left : all the original sequences were lost in early 1989 when the original synths hard drives crashed on tour. Morris and Gilbert had to reprogramme the whole set on new hastily bought kit mid-tour.

Also, when Hook left the band, he hardly did so in a way that makes the other members want to be that generous to him. Or him to them, come to think of it.

Yes thats up in the Northern Quarter I think, I’m off to see him doing Technique and Republic later this month. They have had to completely reprogramme the midi sequencer parts as Bernard wouldn’t give him copies of the originals. All very petty considering everything they’ve been through over the years.

I've just been making arrangements with him now :thumb: it's on Sunday 33 Oldham St.
He's just purchased a Clone Theory peddle so he can get the J D sound.
I never forced my taste in music on him, I let him find his own way, gotta say though it's great he's into Smiths and Joy Division we have great discussions and he likes to look through all my Smiths stuff I collected over the years.

Reckon ya'll isn't this the bald brittish dude who teaches Jazzercise in downtown Moz Angeles in n n n n n din't n n it?

Hey Surface, you’ve been corrected by an anon (below). Time to stop treating the local pub gossip (from has-been celebrities) as gospel. It’s not good to spread misinformation on solo.

There are no 'originals' left : all the original sequences were lost in early 1989 when the original synths hard drives crashed on tour. Morris and Gilbert had to reprogramme the whole set on new hastily bought kit mid-tour.

Also, when Hook left the band, he hardly did so in a way that makes the other members want to be that generous to him. Or him to them, come to think of it.

Don't really know anything about what James has been recently up to, but Music Complete (2015) by New Order was a joyous late career comeback after some very lacklustre albums and side projects, which has been widely praised. While World Peace and LIHS are not definitely the disasters some here would like to portray them to be, they are no way in the same league as Music Complete.

And I did "like" Surface's post, so Ketamine can pat him/herself in the back for that astonishing act of clairvoyance.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom