Tim Booth in Q (March 2019) - Morrissey, early Smiths support, "We Hate It..." confirmation

Posted by an anonymous person (original post):

"...much more interesting is the James Q Mag (March 2019) interview where Tim Booth bitches about Moz and gives praise for the Smiths early support.....Not sure why this hasnt been mentioned here yet ....very funny how Morrissey refused to go onUS tour without James and especially the "Calendar" picture anecdote!!!

Excerpt from the interview:

"...But [Tony] Wilson was amazing. He begged us to make an LP for Factory and we really should have. But we were steered away to Sire [The Smiths' American label]. Who were The Big Bad Wolf. Morrissey warned us about Sire. We should have listened."

Morrissey's patronage - inviting James as Smiths tour support, covering Jimone's What’s The World and naming them his "favourite" band in the music press - brought them the deserved spotlight they'd hitherto preciously avoided. The two sensitive, "celibate", vegetarian singers were obvious kindred spirits. "He was a good friend," Booth says of Morrissey. "He’d ring me up and say 'Come on out' and we'd go around church graveyards.""

Like in The Smiths' Cemetry Gates?

"Yes," he says fondly. "The Smiths were really lovely to us for years. Morrissey and Johnny Marr came to the studio when we were recording Stutter. They told us we should release Johnny Yen as a single, and we didn’t listen, and they were totally right."

Booth believes the friendship first strained when James turned down the offer to support The Smiths on their 1986 North American tour. "He went AWOL two days before. Rough Trade rang me up and said, 'Do you know where Morrissey is? He's refusing to go to America without you.' He went in the end, but I think he was a bit upset."

Five years later, solo Morrissey invited James to join him on the bill of an ITV music special celebrating 30 years of Amnesty International where he planned to preview his new single, a vaudeville retort to James’s newfound fortunes: We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful. "It was [about us]," confirms Booth. "Kevin Cummins took a lovely photo of us there together backstage. Then much later Morrissey did an official calendar. It was 10 pictures of him, one of The Smiths, and that one of him with his arm around me. And we looked sooo gay together! And I was like..." Booth’s eyebrows fandango. "That's a little out there! I had no problem with it. It was, 'Oh, really? You still love me? That's sweet.' But Morrissey fell out with me in the end because I stopped being a vegetarian. I think. Because of my liver, physically I got so sick with the diet. There are only certain things I can eat, even now." He scoops another spoonful of meaty broth. "And chicken soup is one of them."

45850_gettyimages-580480073-1024x1024.jpg

Hey, I said Tin Boots, not Tim Booth.
Yeah yeah yeah!

You are just so excited that I coming down there to Argentina to propose to you. I know you've already said yes mentally but hearing it roll over your lips is something I am looking forward to.

Finally we can start a family of our own!

We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful,... that song may be about James, but as many songs by Moz, it has multi meaning. I love listening to it, and for me personally its quite a motivating song, mainly because the statement is 100% true, and shows how pitiful people can be. I try to rise above it, but maybe I've failed too.

Lovely pic.

Funny, Alain Whyte thought "We Hate It..." might have been inspired by a comment he made to Morrissey once. But James seems more likely the target.

Interesting, that's what I always thought too, that "We hate it…" was about people bitching about Morrissey's success. Was there really so much agony about James making it big in the US?

Yeah yeah yeah!

You are just so excited that I coming down there to Argentina to propose to you. I know you've already said yes mentally but hearing it roll over your lips is something I am looking forward to.

Finally we can start a family of our own!

latest

Possibly but my moneys on them being a couple. Their posts are basically the same - diss all other members of The Smiths, diss Tim Booth, diss New Order, actually they diss everyone who says anything slightly challenging about Morrissey whether that be other artists or members of this forum. They probably compare notes while sitting on their fat arses each morning to agree the days strategy. Anyway they will be at work now, him flipping burgers and her on the checkout at Walgreens so no posts for a while. Sad no life bastards.

But what you're saying is illogical. How could it have found a mate?

Morrissey-solo.com

HEY HO!! nice sock puppetry, talking to yourself.:rolleyes:

trolls gather around the 'netball':lbf:, with Skinny James, New Order and
the boys.:lbf:
HEY HO! a netballing we shall go.. hey ho hey ho:crazy:

I can't believe you're going around checking who upvotes who, or why you should even care. I'm also not sure why you have to be so rude about posters with different opinions to you. I find many of your posts totally inane but I don't follow you around the board sneering at you and downvoting you. Surface is well-known on this site for being on chatting terms with a number of Manchester musicians. Why that should bother you, I have no idea. If you don't like reading opinions which are different to yours, just put those people on ignore and give us all a break.

'I can't believe you're going around checking who upvotes who, or why you should even care.'

I'm not, are you demented? why would you believe that? I read a post and like most, look at who rated the post, the same as you do !

'I don't follow you around the board sneering at you and downvoting you.'

Yes, and I don't follow you or surface around the board, do you have any proof that I do this? just curious as why you would believe such a thing.

And are you saying I'm downvoting too ? How would you know that?

Unless, YOU are going around checking who I downvote? And why should you even care? Are you obsessed with me? Are you demented? Should I be worried ?

HEY HO!! nice sock puppetry, talking to yourself.:rolleyes:

trolls gather around the 'netball':lbf:, with Skinny James, New Order and
the boys.:lbf:
HEY HO! a netballing we shall go.. hey ho hey ho:crazy:

it's really pathetic, when scummy surface tries to be funny, fails EVERY TIME.

it's really pathetic, when scummy surface tries to be funny, fails EVERY TIME.

hes a local VIP over at the run down cul de sac where he inhabits.:lbf:
he probably looking out the window now to see if NEW ORDER is walking the
dog so he can run out and 'bump' into him and 'talk shop'. HEY HO NEW ORDER
its me!!!:lbf:

Good point, maybe they met at a troll gathering.

How would you know? Unless that's where you and Peppermint troll met ? Does your wife know about this affair ? Or is your wife happy that you finally found the love of your life? because she can't stand you? and she's happy that you leave her alone by spending all your time on solo?

How would you know? Unless that's where you and Peppermint troll met ? Does your wife know about this affair ? Or is your wife happy that you finally found the love of your life? because she can't stand you? and she's happy that you leave her alone by spending all your time on solo?

My wife works I have my own business so I can do what I want in the daytime. One thing we now know is that you are Vegan Cro or his partner. What a couple of sad f***ers you are, tag teaming against other members on the site or artists who may have a negative view on Morrissey. I used to think you were smart but getting in bed with the biggest troll the site has ever known has surprised me.

My wife works I have my own business so I can do what I want in the daytime. One thing we now know is that you are Vegan Cro or his partner. What a couple of sad f***ers you are, tag teaming against other members on the site or artists who may have a negative view on Morrissey. I used to think you were smart but getting in bed with the biggest troll the site has ever known has surprised me.

'My wife works I have my own business so I can do what I want in the daytime.'

:rofl::lbf: TELL US ANOTHER ONE ! :lbf: Your attempt at humor is ... PATHETIC.

'My wife works I have my own business so I can do what I want in the daytime.'

:rofl::lbf: TELL US ANOTHER ONE ! :lbf: Your attempt at humor is ... PATHETIC.

Yep, if you want to rent a holiday apartment in the UK I will send you a link, just don’t bring your troll lover with you!

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom