The Queen Is Dead turns 32 today

Famous when dead

Vulgarian
Not so much an article as an observation.
An album I still play weekly and find as good now as I did then.

Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
I remember catching a bus to Bolton to buy this album, studying it on the journey home. Playing it over and over. In my book no album has ever had the same impact on me on its debut.
I could list the detail of everything from that day, my clothes, my shoes, my bedroom, my friends etc. The memories of that album will live with me forever.
My Mum even used to sing I Know It's Over to me. :guitar::sweet:
Happy days, thanks for the memories FWD I'm gonna play it again tonight and reflect :thumbsup:

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

”They’re selling this album for £5.99 in HMV - the money-grabbing capitalist racist bastards!”
- UncleSkinny

I couldn't trust any f***er that played this album once and didn't go on to play it at least another 500 times. Along with every other Smiths album it's pretty much flawless.

Last edited:
It's an album that just doesn't age.
After catching that bus to Bolton I ended up catching a train to Preston to pick up tickets for the Guild Hall (To this day if I ever come across the wanker that 4ckd that night up, the gloves are off.)

Spot on Charlie :thumb:

I couldn't trust any f***er that played this album once and didn't go on to play it at least another 500 times. Along with every other Smiths album it's pretty much flawless.
Frankly and Vicar could be dropped and I would be okay with that. (I'm just going to duck to avoid any objects thrown now.)

When I go it's coming with me in the coffin, it made me.

Frankly and Vicar could be dropped and I would be okay with that. (I'm just going to duck to avoid any objects thrown now.)

Really? No objects thrown, but I believe they (and "Some Girls") provide some well-placed levity on the album and showcase Morrissey's lighthearted wit (which I dearly miss).

Last edited:
Really? No objects thrown, but I believe they (and "Some Girls") provide some well-placed levity on the album and showcase Morrissey's wit (which I dearly miss).
I miss his wit too, but when you subtract the camp, that album hits like Mohammed Ali.

great record ....

almost as good as LIHS, .... almost.

;)

Frankly is fun lyrically but musically it pretty amazing. Also love the guitar in vicar. I could stand to lose I know it’s over and never had no one ever. At the very least don’t put them back to back

It's an album that just doesn't age.
After catching that bus to Bolton I ended up catching a train to Preston to pick up tickets for the Guild Hall (To this day if I ever come across the wanker that 4ckd that night up, the gloves are off.)

Spot on Charlie :thumb:

I was there as well Benny, when some f***er threw something that hit him on the head during the first song, which happened to be TQID. I was fuming all the way back to Burnley.

They are both very peculiarly British (both of them lyrically, Frankly also musically) - and owe everything to our music hall traditions, including the likes of George Formby. Frankly is also a heavy nod to Billy Liar. I hesitate to suggest this because some things just come down to personal taste - but maybe that's why they don't connect?

I didn't know about that. Shape of things to come, though.

Yes, thought it was a coin but some reports said it was a drumstick. Morrissey walked off straight away but the band played the rest of the song and went off. I think Johnny came back on and explained what had happened and the gig was over but it was a long time ago and I’d had a few beers, so might be wrong.

That venue was awful for problems back in the day. There was a massive punch up at a New Order gig there and a woman split my mates head open by smacking him on the head with her shoe, there was also a punch up at a Ramones gig as well!

I remember hearing There Is A Light on the John Peel show, and it failed to move me. I felt it was quite Li ghtweight, too polished and not a very good chorus, tune-wise. Also, I didn't get round to buying the album for a few weeks after it's release. Had the magic worn off for me even then? Of course not. I love this album, although I still only sing There is a Light because it is typical Smiths rather than because I think it's particularly special. My favourite album is Hateful.

I remember hearing There Is A Light on the John Peel show, and it failed to move me. I felt it was quite Li ghtweight, too polished and not a very good chorus, tune-wise. Also, I didn't get round to buying the album for a few weeks after it's release. Had the magic worn off for me even then? Of course not. I love this album, although I still only sing There is a Light because it is typical Smiths rather than because I think it's particularly special. My favourite album is Hateful.

Well, aren't they all?

They are both very peculiarly British (both of them lyrically, Frankly also musically) - and owe everything to our music hall traditions, including the likes of George Formby. Frankly is also a heavy nod to Billy Liar. I hesitate to suggest this because some things just come down to personal taste - but maybe that's why they don't connect?
well, I personally love frankly. how could anyone dislike a song packed with that much personality?

well, I personally love frankly. how could anyone dislike a song packed with that much personality?
I know. But I do get how it would sound weird and annoying to some. I feel we should cross-examine G23 on what exactly he doesn't like about it.

Back
Top Bottom