The Origin Of Morrissey Dissent

Verso he didn't say that. He was trying to make the concert goers think about animals in the way they think about people. He didn't say to a parent your child matters less than a chicken.
No, he quite literally said "that's nothing compared to what happens in McDonalds."

That isn't what he said. The quote was: "We all live in a murderous world, as the events in Norway have shown, with 97 dead. Though that is nothing compared to what happens in McDonald's and Kentucky Fried shit every day."

You can split hairs all you want, but when every f***ing thing out of someone's mouth has to be massaged by a PR agent to make it palatable, then perhaps the issue isn't with the public's perceptive abilities.

That isn't what he said in the video. That's what was reported.

And it's not every comment - it's a handful that get endlessly repeated, sometimes even just a word. And it's not unusual in the UK tabloids once they've found an angle to trawl for.

That isn't what he said in the video. That's what was reported.

And it's not every comment - it's a handful that get endlessly repeated, sometimes even just a word. And it's not unusual in the UK tabloids once they've found an angle to trawl for.
As far as I know, there is no video footage of given comment from Warsaw. However, Morrissey did not deny the reports when added to his comment on True To You some days later:

""The comment I made on stage at Warsaw could be further explained this way - Millions of beings are routinely murdered every single day in order to fund profits for McDonalds and KFCruelty".

So, he DID say those words. Same thing as the Speigel fiasco.

As far as I know, there is no video footage of given comment from Warsaw. However, Morrissey did not deny the reports when added to his comment on True To You some days later:

""The comment I made on stage at Warsaw could be further explained this way - Millions of beings are routinely murdered every single day in order to fund profits for McDonalds and KFCruelty".

So, he DID say those words. Same thing as the Speigel fiasco.

The footage does exist.

What's in dispute is the assertion that he was telling parents their dead children didn't matter.

He was introducing Meat Is Murder by trying to make the audience think about animal killings the way they think about murder.

That's literally the point of the song title.

Framing makes a difference.

For more context - what Morrissey was trying to say is - imagine if these chickens were humans & this was reported on the news every day:

20201117_205816.jpg

20201117_205802.jpg

20201117_205829.jpg

Most people don't really care - but he does.

(From The Independent, 2018)

The footage does exist.

What's in dispute is the assertion that he was telling parents their dead children didn't matter.

He was introducing Meat Is Murder by trying to make the audience think about animal killings the way they think about murder.

That's literally the point of the song title.

Framing makes a difference.
This is beyond ridiculous. It's not about assertion. A grown up man made a stupid, insensitive, idiotic comment, Doesn't matter what the intention was. A comment was made.

I bet you could twist Hitler's words - what he really meant was....

But obviously people who were hurt by one of the many idiotic comments by Morrissey are all wrong. Or woke. Or brainwashed by The Guardian.

This is beyond ridiculous. It's not about assertion. A grown up man made a stupid, insensitive, idiotic comment, Doesn't matter what the intention was. A comment was made.

I bet you could twist Hitler's words - what he really meant was....

But obviously people who were hurt by one of the many idiotic comments by Morrissey are all wrong. Or woke. Or brainwashed by The Guardian.

It's the opposite - the tabloids chose to create a drama around comments he made at a gig that are totally in line with animal liberationist thinking & were in no way aimed at the parents of dead children.

In the exact way that they accused him of paedophilia for Reel Around The Fountain & Handsome Devil.

Saying that Meat is Murder is literally saying that killing animals to eat is the same as murder. You could interpret that as an insult to every murder victim. And get any get any number of relatives to say they're hurt by his insensitive song.

It's the opposite - the tabloids chose to create a drama around comments he made at a gig that are totally in line with animal liberationist thinking & were in no way aimed at the parents of dead children.

In the exact way that they accused him of paedophilia for Reel Around The Fountain & Handsome Devil.

Saying that Meat is Murder is literally saying that killing animals to eat is the same as murder. You could interpret that as an insult to every murder victim. And get any get any number of relatives to say they're hurt by his insensitive song.
Ah okay. So as an animal liberationist I can say, Morrissey's mother's death is nothing compared to what happens in KFC every day. Thank you for enlightening me.

People like you scare me.

I have no recollection of him being accused of paedophilia for Reel Around The Fountain & Handsome Devil at the time. Did these accusations happen later in his career?

Oh Hitler again :rolleyes:

He also managed to get huge amounts of flack for a song about murders committed when he was 7... including a false accusation that he put a serial killer on the cover of a single.

How do they think newspapers get sales? Just by accurately reporting that famous people are c**ts & all art is immoral?

20201117_212623.jpg

I have no recollection of him being accused of paedophilia for Reel Around The Fountain & Handsome Devil at the time. Did these accusations happen later in his career?

No, at the time. It was Nick Ferrari & Gary Bushell who started it - they juxtaposed it with a sex crime that had been committed on a young boy as if the songs caused it.

Standard trick.

If they'd been less talented it would have ended them before they began.

The sycophants can roll their eyes all they like, but this is absolutely right. For Christ's sake, Morrissey stormed offstage in a fit when someone held up a "JOYCE 1 - MOZ 0" sign at a concert in the late-90s, but he's comfortable telling the parents of recently murdered children that it's nothing compared to KFC. He can dish it out, but he can't take it.
Huh, so the parents of recently murdered children were in attendance that night?

No, they happened early on in their career in May 1983 and are well documented. The first was a Sun article titled "Child Sex Song Puts The Beeb In A Spin".
Morrissey and Marr talked about it in this interview.

EDIT:

I should add that there's been some confusion about this over the years.

The recording of Reel Around The Fountain from their second Jensen sessions wasn't aired because of the allegations they faced for Handsome Devil and the BBC decided the lyrics of Reel Around were too dodgy.
The second song besides Handsome Devil that was interpreted by the press to be about child molestation was The Hand That Rocks The Cradle though...

Last edited:
Ah okay. So as an animal liberationist I can say, Morrissey's mother's death is nothing compared to what happens in KFC every day. Thank you for enlightening me.

People like you scare me.

That's not what he said.

You're far more scary because you can't grasp a philosophy & would cause drama by misrepresenting it.

He was not talking to the parents of dead children.

He did not say the deaths of their children is nothing.

There's an Animal Liberation founding text that can be read - it's about expanding your moral universe not narrowing it.

That's not what he said.

You're far more scary because you can't grasp a philosophy & would cause drama by misrepresenting it.

He was not talking to the parents of dead children.

He did not say the deaths of their children is nothing.
I post and comment here very, very rarely. But when I do so, I at least pay attention to what I am replying to.

I never wrote he was talking to the parents. I never wrote he said the deaths of their children is nothing.

He did say what I, and earlier Verso, quoted. It's a fact. A FACT. You are just trying to interpret the offensive words of your hero because you are unable to say he was an asshole. So what if he was? Not the end of the world. As a singer, I still loved songs he released after this. comment. Why is it so hard to admit it?
I don't cause drama. I simply hold a comment against the person who made it. Though I had no connection to the victims at all, it's still an insensitive, outrageous and idiotic comment. If anyone said this in front of me about victims of any shootings, I'd leave the conversation at this point as obviously the person has zero empathy and not much intelligence.

I don't care about the Animal Liberation. I don't eat meat and try to get to a point soon where I don't wear any product made from an animal. Still I would never go as far as hurting people's feeling to get my point across.

Verso he didn't say that. He was trying to make the concert goers think about animals in the way they think about people. He didn't say to a parent your child matters less than a chicken.
This thread was encouraging people to offer thoughts on Morrissey 'dissent' - in other words, how and why there is negativity around him, how he managed to 'turn off' so many people, what that's like for fans who have gotten a bit fed up and how they see their relationship with him. You do not need to jump in, preaching about why you think the dissent is wrong and poor Mozzer is just misunderstood, etc, etc, trying to invalidate the opinions of other fans like you do 24/7. Wind your neck in!

Back
Top Bottom