The National changes "Bona Drag" lyric reference in "Pink Rabbits" live

(originally posted in the thread: This is Morrissey: An Interview by Fiona Dodwell - Tremr)

We just got back from watching The National on this beautiful evening in this beautiful town. They changed the lyrics to their song Pink Rabbits from

And everybody was gone
You were standing in the street cause you were trying not to crack up
And Bona Drag is still on

to

And everybody was gone
You were standing in the street cause you were trying not to crack up
... oh, f*** that man, he was good for a while

True story

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Why, what did Morrissey do to help them?

OH PLEASE use your LOAF !

+ we all know on this site that you like the National and I don't
so let's just leave it at that. this topic is :sleeping:enough without are arguments adding to it.

Feels weird that a Moz fan would be so hateful towards a band like The National. They share lots of similarities with Moz. Witty, yet profoundly dark lyrics. Strong vocal melodies. A sense of drama. A charismatic front man. Have you heard songs like About Today, Guilty Party or Conversation 16?

I find the replacements National a very dull band. I think it’s fine for him to be disallusioned with morrissey as he can have whatever opinion he wants and it’s not like he’s being cruel or hysterical about it but I as a morrissey fan just am not moved by there music. I find it very run of the mill dad rock

:rock::rock:BOYCOTT BOYCOTT

I guess he won't be singing "Hand in Glove" in the middle of "Carin at the Liquor Store," either.

I love the National but found them boring live, which frankly surprised me.

If you haven't seen it, "Mistaken for Strangers" is a great rockumentary, if you like those sorts of things.

They’re really not boring, though. I thought so myself at first, but the more I listen to them the more addicted I become. Underneath the sepia tones, the music is actually quite complex and layered, the songs well-crafted (I bet you they don’t show up in the studio with half-baked ideas unlike certain other artists - every note, every second of every track has a use and a purpose). And then there’s Matt Berninger’s lyrics - love, loss, self-doubt, darkness, desperation but also a great sense of humour; all delivered soulfully. How can you not love a line like "I'm so surprised you want to dance with me now, I was just getting used to living life without you around”?
I'm not denying that his lyrics are good on paper, but The National just bore me in a bad way. I like plenty of music that bores me in a good way.

default because they can't think for themselves. PARROT THEIR PEERS AND WHAT THE MEDIA TELLS THEM.

If it wasn't for M the National would never have stepped on a stage,

... UNGRATEFUL TURDS.

:cool:
C'mon...

They’re really not boring, though. I thought so myself at first, but the more I listen to them the more addicted I become. Underneath the sepia tones, the music is actually quite complex and layered, the songs well-crafted (I bet you they don’t show up in the studio with half-baked ideas unlike certain other artists - every note, every second of every track has a use and a purpose). And then there’s Matt Berninger’s lyrics - love, loss, self-doubt, darkness, desperation but also a great sense of humour; all delivered soulfully. How can you not love a line like "I'm so surprised you want to dance with me now, I was just getting used to living life without you around”?

Do you have them playing in the background when you make videos for your instagram or whatever you do for attention nowadays?

Another day, another stupid attempt at baiting from twice-banned “Truth”.

Of course she will claim that she is the one being harassed and followed around this board and whinge how unfair her banning was.

Hate to say it, but Matt is a far better frontman than Morrissey has been for the last ten or so years. I thought this before he became a far-right sympathiser as well. In fact, there are loads of other singers who are far better frontmen than him, not just Matt: Nick Cave, Jarvis, Samuel T Herring, Brett Anderson, Thom Yorke, James Murphy, etc. I think it’s pretty obvious he is deliberately trying to destroy his career nowadays, he isn’t quite all there anymore. It’s been sad watching his demise, but it’s all his own doing.

If you are going to change a lyric to make some kind of point surely you would change it to something a bit better than that. It's hardly lyrical genius, is it? That said, I don't find the National terrible; just a little uninspiring.

Hate to say it, but Matt is a far better frontman than Morrissey has been for the last ten or so years. I thought this before he became a far-right sympathiser as well. In fact, there are loads of other singers who are far better frontmen than him, not just Matt: Nick Cave, Jarvis, Samuel T Herring, Brett Anderson, Thom Yorke, James Murphy, etc. I think it’s pretty obvious he is deliberately trying to destroy his career nowadays, he isn’t quite all there anymore. It’s been sad watching his demise, but it’s all his own doing.

Tim Booth, Ian McCulloch, Bernard Sumner - all from the North West but you never hear any of them gobbing off about shit, they let their music do the talking and don't need stupid outbursts to sell albums or sell out venues. Agree on Matt, I love watching him live, so much passion and just goes with what he's feeling.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom