The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 261: SAFE, WARM LANCASHIRE HOME

How do you rate Safe, Warm Lancashire Home

• Total voters

Houdini

In 2007, and early 2008, I put up polls for all 234 then released Morrissey and The Smiths-songs. More than 40,000 votes were cast and this resulted in The Morrissey/Smiths Top 100, or indeed, The Morrissey/The Smiths Top 234. In 2009/2010 we updated this chart with the 25 new songs that were released in 2008-2010. The final results of 2010, the 'Top 259', can be viewed here. Now, 4 years on, many people have asked me to continue with the polls as since the last one 25 new Morrissey-songs have been released.
So we'll start with the songs that were released in 2011, 2012 and 2013 and we'll end with the 18 songs from World Peace Is None of Your Business.

So here it goes. Let's hope for as big a turn-out as in 2007 and 2010 and, once again, vote with your heart, not with your mind.

Song 261: Safe, Warm Lancashire Home (Morrissey/Stephen Street)

Safe warm Lancashire home
How could I leave you
I don't know
Cold hard girl
Veneer is all that she was
A head on her shoulders like Dante

But the quotes don't hold
The punchline is old
And I don't belong to no one

How could I leave you
I don't know

Cold hard girl
Veneer must be all that she was
Well this is the view that now helps me

But the sky is clouds
As the world comes of age

The world comes of age
A blessing or a burden
It's a blessing or a burden

Voting should be something along these lines:
10: Perfection
9: Near perfect, brilliant
8: Really good Moz/Smiths song
7: Good Moz/Smiths song
6: OK, nothing special
5: Uninspired
4: Poor
3: Bad
2: Should never have been released
1: One of the worst songs ever, by anyone

Previous polls:
Treat Me Like a Human Being
Polls 258-1

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful song. I actually kind of like that it's only in demo form and not polished up. I gave it a 7, but I could have gone 8.

Never heard this one! Will have to check out tonight. It's the b-side of that Glamorous Glue single reissue right? but it's Viva Hate era?

Yunno, in a perfect world, these threads would have their own sub-forum. I'd love to go back and read everyone's opinions on these great songs.

Don't know this one too well, will listen later.

never heard this song :straightface: at least not that I remember :confused: so don't feel right voting on it :o
maybe I'll give it a 2 or 3 listens to tomorrow after work and then vote :thumb:

In 2007, and early 2008, I put up polls for all 234 then released Morrissey and The Smiths-songs. More than 40,000 votes were cast and this resulted in The Morrissey/Smiths Top 100, or indeed, The Morrissey/The Smiths Top 234. In 2009/2010 we updated this chart with the 25 new songs that were released in 2008-2010. The final results of 2010, the 'Top 259', can be viewed here. Now, 4 years on, many people have asked me to continue with the polls as since the last one 25 new Morrissey-songs have been released.
So we'll start with the songs that were released in 2011, 2012 and 2013 and we'll end with the 18 songs from World Peace Is None of Your Business.

So here it goes. Let's hope for as big a turn-out as in 2007 and 2010 and, once again, vote with your heart, not with your mind.

Song 261: Safe, Warm Lancashire Home (Morrissey/Stephen Street)

How could I leave you
I don't know
Cold hard girl
Veneer is all that she was
A head on her shoulders like Dante

But the quotes don't hold
The punchline is old

How could I leave you
I don't know

Cold hard girl
Veneer must be all that she was
Well this is the view that now helps me

But the sky is clouds

The world comes of age
A blessing or a burden
It's a blessing or a burden

Voting should be something along these lines:
10: Perfection
9: Near perfect, brilliant
8: Really good Moz/Smiths song
7: Good Moz/Smiths song
6: OK, nothing special
5: Uninspired
4: Poor
3: Bad
2: Should never have been released
1: One of the worst songs ever, by anyone

Previous polls:
Treat Me Like a Human Being
Polls 258-1

I'm glad you're starting your great polls again. I've been a fan of this site for a long time, although I've only started posting recently, and your polls for favorite Moz-Smiths songs have been one of my favorite features. I guess I love lists and polls. Glad your back!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yunno, in a perfect world, these threads would have their own sub-forum. I'd love to go back and read everyone's opinions on these great songs.

Don't know this one too well, will listen later.

You can go back and read everyone's opinion here:
http://www.morrissey-solo.com/threa...DIFFERENCE-(final-song)?p=1292758#post1292758
In the first post there is a link to all previous polls.

I'm glad you're starting your great polls again. I've been a fan of this site for a long time, although I've only started posting recently, and your polls for favorite Moz-Smiths songs have been one of my favorite features. I guess I love lists and polls. Glad your back!

Thank you!

wonderful.

8 for song, 10 for the title.

i fell a 'puff of 'the beatles'' :)

p.s. %

This one's a 9 for me. It has those key elements that make Morrissey so special, such as the total emotional conviction of the moment. Very moving, and could have been a 10 if it had been finished/recorded to perfection.

Back
Top Bottom