The link between Morrissey's depression and his music

Amy

from the Ice Age to the dole age
So this is just to invite a bit of debate about the connection between Morrissey's state of mind and his musical output, his lyrics and the things he chooses to write about. I've always seen the vast majority of his post-Smiths output as autobiographical, and of course we can connect the album chronologically to specific events and phases in his life - but is that always a wise interpretation? When do you think Morrissey was at his happiest, or at his most miserable, and is that reflected by his output at the time?

I'm thinking particularly of albums like Maladjusted, which always sounded to me like a very dark, restless collection of songs written at one of the lowest points in his life - and then Years of Refusal, where he just sounds consumed by bitterness and misanthropy. He sounds very depressed on those albums. Quarry is very melancholy and jaded in places too.

Do you think his albums always reflect his state of mind at the time, or does he write 'in character'? Have there ever been times when the mood or tone of an album has been unexpected - for example the relative contentment of ROTT after the world-weariness of Quarry?

Re: The link between Morrissey's depression and his music.

Morrissey was at his most autobiographical in The Smiths. He did rip off some stories from the headlines and a couple of his kitchen sink dramas, but for the most part that is all him. If you don't believe me look at his penpal letters from before The Smiths. He talks abut his girlfriend, how they are both bi and he hates sex, etc. The first 20 or so songs he wrote with The Smiths, with the exception of Suffer Little Children is about him, his sexuality, and his relationship with Linder and his ex.

hmmm

Personally I don't take his lyrics autobiographical.

Remember Morrissey repeatedly admitted that he often told lies during interviews.

Some of his lyrics reflect his feelings, but most of them are telling stories from a character's point of view.

Re: hmmm

Personally I don't take his lyrics autobiographical.

Remember Morrissey repeatedly admitted that he often told lies during interviews.

Some of his lyrics reflect his feelings, but most of them are telling stories from a character's point of view.

Over the years when fans have called out a request for 'Sing Your Life,' he has often responded, "I am!"

Back
Top Bottom