"The Hand That Rocks The Cradle" original, full length (Decibelle Studios) posted on YouTube

Description:

The original Decibelle recording. Brings back so many memories. Thanks to Philipe Delcloque, one of the many unsung heroes of the late 70's, early 80's Manchester music scene.

UPDATE Jan. 1:

Additional clips added (Domu Kafe channel):

UPDATE Jan. 3:

Link posted by Famous when dead:

Listen to The Smiths’ earliest studio demo from 1982 — including isolated guitar, vocals - Slicing Up Eyeballs

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:

A nice New Year's surprise.
(PJLM asserts:
'This version features Johnny on back vocals and guitar, Dale Hibbert on bass and Simon Wolstencroft on drums.'
Anyone hear Johnny's vocals on this?)
The Philippe Dale mentions in the YT description was the owner of Decibelle Studios.

Thank you
Dale.

MP3:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/pz6pc5
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
More proof, if it was needed, of the importance of Andy's baseline. Dead without it. Fantastic track, thanks so much for releasing it.

What a pleasure to hear this... It made me look back to hear that 30 second "practice" muffled " I want a boy For My Birthday" cover of the Cookies Dale sold to a collector a while back...

Am I correct that there are only 2 tracks on the Decibelle recording 16 track?

1. The hand That Rocks The Cradle
2. Suffer Little Children

This may be the genesis, but to me lifeless. A tired garage band version of what would become so special. Right choices were made in the end, and in the end we are left with what would become and became The Smiths.

It seems like around the 2:30 mark Moz starts singing in an especially fruity twang.

A nice New Year's surprise.
(PJLM asserts:
'This version features Johnny on back vocals and guitar, Dale Hibbert on bass and Simon Wolstencroft on drums.'
Anyone hear Johnny's vocals on this?)
The Philippe Dale mentions in the YT description was the owner of Decibelle Studios.

Thank you
Dale.

MP3:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/pz6pc5
Regards,
FWD.

At 2:17 (after "restless spirits try") there is a faint harmony ("hmmm"), so low in the mix it sounds like an intake of breath but is probably Johnny.

I don't hear any other backing vocals, just that one apparently impromptu note?

If the Bogie man should try...

Humphrey%2BBogart%2Bvisits%2BPeter%2BLorre%2527s%2Bbaby%2BChatherine.jpg

At this point Marr had clearly not yet hit upon the wheeze of tuning his guitar up a tone. It's interesting to hear the difference between this rather dirge-like ditty in G compared to the album version in A which is altogether more spritely. The tempo of the latter is also rather quicker which helps. And yes, the lack of the Andy Rourke bass-line is also painfully evident.

With Morrissey's vocals so high in the mix (drowning out almost everything else), one gets a greater appreciation for the lyrics in this track. Amazing lyrics, painting pictures so vividly with his words... and at such a young age too.

Compare and contrast these lyrics to anything on LIHS and you wouldn't believe it was the same lyricist at work. Kinda sad.

With Morrissey's vocals so high in the mix (drowning out almost everything else), one gets a greater appreciation for the lyrics in this track. Amazing lyrics, painting pictures so vividly with his words... and at such a young age too.

Compare and contrast these lyrics to anything on LIHS and you wouldn't believe it was the same lyricist at work. Kinda sad.
Yes. I have been saying this for awhile. If this was college and The Hand That Rocks The Cradle was turned in as a term paper and the only other writing sample of that student was say...Who Will Protect Us From The Police or Bury The Living, there would be a plagiarism investigation.

So cool...thanks Dale for sharing this. Can anyone please post a picture of Dale?

Do you guys think he regrets having left the band?

Update: 1st January, 2019:

Um... Mention Johnny's vocal and Dale obliges:

The whole song JM's parts:

Guitar parts:

Morrissey (just vocals):

Outro:

A wonderful thing to share.
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back