The exclusive vinyl thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 28602
  • Start date
I was trying to YouTube Red Sue & found nothing! But I did discover that popcorn can allegedly cause lung cancer. šŸ™
It is difficult to find any information at all about this single. What I learned was that Drafi Deutscher, who is quite a name among German Schlager-Fans 65+, co-wrote this song. He was also a singer and quite successful in the 1960s with Cliff Richard-like schlager-songs.

So, there is an audience for this sort of music. Before I sell it, I'm gonna try recording a few tunes.

s (2).jpg

Staying at home today with a splitting headache and a sore throat. Wouldnt be surprised if it was covid.
Listening to the b-side of Kraftwerk's "RadioaktivitƤt" which feels like balm for my brain. Very surprised that it actually does. But when I listen to it, the headache is gone all of a sudden. Quite strange.

Got my monthly shot of house mite excrements at the physician yesterday. Usually I pick up viruses when I am there, especially in the dark winter season, but nobody but me cares about that. It's part of the risk of going to your physician these days.
Well, she was extremely chatty, even though it was late in the afternoon, and I just wanted to get the shot and then go back home quickly to avoid too much germinal impact, but she just chatted on and on, and I just thought behind my FFP2-mask, "Could you please keep your aerosols to yourself? Thank you." But no chance, she just continued non-stop talking about the cold weather, coming Christmas season, etc., and actually was so unconcentrated that my upper arm started to bleed when she removed the syringe and then she even forgot to put an adhesive tape on it, so I had to remind her of it while she was reminiscing the short summer season.

Anyways, gonna lie down now, as the time has come to do so.

I prefer wind turbines and solar arrays to nuclear power plants. Thank you.

Oh, and what you can see here on the turntable is the new 2020 reissued and remastered special Kling Klang and Parlophone German edition in yellow translucent 180g vinyl. Not sure if it is limited like the international, almost identical, version is.

Last edited by a moderator:
a.jpg

I'm listenin' to the b-side of Kevin Morby's Oh My God today coz I feel pretty faithful and truth-seekin' too.

Like the gospel influence which mingles nicely with the melodies and voice.

It's also soothin my mind in these covid19 times. Got really upset today when I read just another co-worker's e-mail asking me to do this and that for her at work, as she has worked in home-office for a couple of months now.
The stress levels are very high at work, and I have to invest at least two hours of yoga (my precious freetime) each night to calm down a bit, so, just the thought of having to keep my co-worker's requests in mind and remember them in time, annoys me a good deal. I just wonder whether she has ever thought of asking the bosses for a solution to help the home-office workers get their work done in time. Probably not, and this is what really drives me mad most.

I'm playing Barbed Wire Kisses by the Jesus and Mary Chain which i got for my birthday a coppolla days ago. That's the kind of album you have to buy yourself, or nobody else will ever do.
q (2).jpg

It's a 2013 reissue on the California-based label 1972, and had originally been released in 1988. Now you know.
The compilation contains b-sides and other rare tracks.
q.jpg

I'm playing Barbed Wire Kisses by the Jesus and Mary Chain which i got for my birthday a coppolla days ago. That's the kind of album you have to buy yourself, or nobody else will ever do.
View attachment 66080

It's a 2013 reissue on the California-based label 1972, and had originally been released in 1988. Now you know.
The compilation contains b-sides and other rare tracks.
View attachment 66081

Happy belated!
Got a promo copy of this record.
My friends sister was datin' this guy who worked at a record store in the mall
and he gave me the promo of Barbed Wire Kisses and the Suedehead 12 inch,
when I went with her to visit'em.
Heck of a score.

Happy belated!
Got a promo copy of this record.
My friends sister was datin' this guy who worked at a record store in the mall
and he gave me the promo of Barbed Wire Kisses and the Suedehead 12 inch,
when I went with her to visit'em.
Heck of a score.
Thanks, Turkey.
That was very generous of your friend's sister's lover-to-be.
Did he give you the cassette promo?
1606838189876.png

And what Suedehead 12" was that?
I got my copy from our local British tea shop. The owner seems to be a Brit who changed cititzenship after Brexit to be able to stay here on the continent. He has some connections to Cargo records, an independent UK music distributor, which is quite an unusual blessing for us here in the provinces.

Thanks, Turkey.
That was very generous of your friend's sister's lover-to-be.
Did he give you the cassette promo?
View attachment 66142
And what Suedehead 12" was that?
I got my copy from our local British tea shop. The owner seems to be a Brit who changed cititzenship after Brexit to be able to stay here on the continent. He has some connections to Cargo records, an independent UK music distributor, which is quite an unusual blessing for us here in the provinces.

Now that I got my rememberin' memory goin', I'm really realizin' that I kinda got the story wrong.
Turns out I bought the Suedehead 12", cause it had the song I Know Very Well How I Got My Name
on it and then the guy had a Barbed Wire Kisses promo and asked if I wanted the thing and I was
more than obliged to take it.
Not even sure if she dated the guy and it mighta been more at the courtin' stage of relations. I'll tell
ya one thing, I surely did have a big crush on her my own self, but she seen me as more like a little
brother. Haha.
Barbed Wire Kisses is a heck of a record though and I especially like Side 2.
Matter of fact, it's my second favorite Jesus And Mary Chain record after Darklands.

Barbed Wire Kisses 1.JPG

Barbed Wire Kisses 2.JPG

Suedehead 1 1.jpg

Last edited:
Now that I got my rememberin' memory goin', I'm really realizin' that I kinda got the story wrong.
Turns out I bought the Suedehead 12", cause it had the song I Know Very Well How I Got My Name
on it and then the guy had a Barbed Wire Kisses promo and asked if I wanted the thing and I was
more than obliged to take it.
Not even sure if she dated the guy and it mighta been more at the courtin' stage of relations. I'll tell
ya one thing, I surely did have a big crush on her my own self, but she seen me as more like a little
brother. Haha.
Barbed Wire Kisses is a heck of a record though and I especially like Side 2.
Matter of fact, it's my second favorite Jesus And Mary Chain record after Darklands.

View attachment 66235
View attachment 66236
View attachment 66237

For a noise album, it's exceptional. I like the story connected to your album score.
Nice lookin copy of suedehead, like new.

Ablution
Some people meditate, I wash vinyl.
These records have been waiting around for a coppola weeks to be thoroughly washed, eventually.
m.jpg

I.
To-be-kept: Moz, Patti, Lou, Kevin, Cannonball
II.
To-be-checked-for-musical-value: Floyd, Elvis
III.
To-be-sold immediately: Stones

The Stones, Pink Floyd, Elvis and Lou were found in my mother's basement two months ago.

While washin' and scrubbin', I was listenin' to the Pure Sound of the Purifys...
n.jpg

The vinyl is drying, and I am thinking that this is my favourite Morrissey album cover:

o.jpg

First one to
be washed, brushed and scrubbed heartily and rigorously...

p.jpg

This copy is still in pretty good condition. Found it in Italy this Summer. A few hairlines and some drag marks which, I assume, were caused by the inner sleeves which, due to static charge, are firmly attached to the vinyl, like a desperate sucker fish. It's almost impossible to get the records out of there. Cover looks neat too, all soft and smooth.

Elvis has passed the test. He is allowed to stay and sing his Christmas Songs for a probation period of one year.
q (2).jpg

This is a 1984 reissue of the 1970 album compilation, shining like a diamond after a proper scrub and rub. Surprisingly, the vinyl doesn't show a single sign of wearout, after all these years. I would even say that it was untouched and virginal, if not for the missing shrink-wrap. Soundwise it is okay, a bit hollow and muffled, lacking luster.

s.jpg

There is another version with a round logo, I have the vertical RCA logo.

It is Elvis' voice and persona which make this tedious collection of Christmas songs remarkable and lift it beyond mediocrity. His singing is like a warm, comforting blanket and the matured whiskey everyone needs to make it through the mind-numbing completely unexciting happy holidays. He is the guy you want to escape with in a sports car.

r (2).jpg

As I said, an immaculate copy, not one pop or crackle.

The A-Side is much more spirited than the B-Side, which is far too saccharine for my taste. I also noticed a distance between Elvis and some of the songs that he had to record for the B-Side, but it probably just kind of reflects the fatigue that sets in when the holidays come to their end, and bare reality supersedes the waning glitter and illuminations to bring their cold rain and emptiness back into the homes and streets, with no light at the end of the tunnel...

I am pretty sure that this album will rather sooner than later end up in the 20th century moth-eaten relic box of music.

a (2).jpg

I have never listened to the full album, only to individual songs, and I loved "The Wall" as a high-school kid, and I still like "Comfortably Numb", which, actually, seems to sum up the intended effects of this music on its audience. Musically it is simply not my thing. The parts in which they sound like a military brass band going slow to reflect, pregnant with meaning, a looming thunderstorm darkening the skies, are just the most humourless musical renditions imaginable. I find large parts on this album outdated. full-bodied vocals would have helped to put some life into it.

No, sorry, please close your flaps and the holes. Thank you.
b.jpg

b (2).jpg

Oh, and I don't know what exact release that is, as there are so many on discogs. But I am sure that it is one of the 1979 issues without the band logo on the front cover. Anyways, sorry, yes, you have to go now.

I am very much enjoying Lou Reed's Street Hassle as a Christmas album at the moment.
g.jpg

What I have here is a 1978 Central European first press edition on the Arista/EMI electrola label. Sound quality is pretty lackluster if not coarse, probably was in better condition originally, that is 42 years ago, but it somehow is corresponding to the overall topic of this album which is also reflected in its title.

After a proper scrub and scrab, it looked like this...
h.jpg

... shining like a christmas bulb gone black and blue, almost new.

It took me two or three listens to hear the underlying beautifully orchestrated background instruments presented via the so-called binaural stereo sound recording which will go completely unnoticed if you only have ears for the rugged monotony of the guitars and vocals. And I have to say that first I got pretty tired of Lou's street cat attitude eager to share his insights of the "underbelly of New York", where the pubic lice have found their home. Even in our sterile corona times, I am not really up for that any longer. But I'ver grown older, and so has Lou.

The binaural sound can most easily be detected in "Street Hassle", especially the quieter parts, with a cello on the left ear and a violin on the right, for example. You can notice that there was some thought put into it.

f.jpg

I cannot say if this is his best album or worst, or how it all blends into his biography and earlier oeuvre, because that's not the way I listen to music. I listen to these albums as if inspecting a meteoroid that has crashed into my home, and I don't know anything about its origins. Probably this could also be called an old-fashioned hermeneutical approach, if at all.

The newly washed "Swords" record was given a thorough listen today.
g.jpg

Sounds exceptional, and sometimes even festive. But actually, I needed a bit of action here today as well.

While listening to the C-Side of "Swords" this morning,
i.jpg

I was wondering about the reason for releasing double LPs. Probably there are many reasons, but I kind of cherish the idea that it is also, besides all the monetary and production related constraints, purposefully creating a dramatic effect. What I don't like to see are double LPs with songs just on side a, b and c, and side d left empty or printed with a sketch or image, like it happened on Neil Young's Colorado album. What a waste of resources. Even worse, there is no side d but an extra 7" single added to the package. This coming from Neil Young baffled me quite a lot.

With Swords, the four sides add up to a four-act structure, each one divided into four or five scenes. Not quite sure yet, whether there is more to the arrangement than just the individual songs being b-sides and thrown together for this compilation. Maybe there is a connecting theme or the idea of a musical development, etc. Maybe it's just the producer telling folks what comes next.

m (2).jpg

(Swords, all nicely swabbed and scrubbed)

What I like about listening to vinyl is that it is not as fleeting as listening to a never-ending stream of songs on spotify, for example, or even the whole bunch of songs on a cd. I usually listen more often and more carefully to the four or five songs on each side, because I am simply too lazy to turn over the record after the last song has been played. I just have to push the play button again, preferably with my toe, and then the music starts anew, meanwhile the handful of songs on each side form an entity, with or without an intentional meaning attached to it, but after all, there is a structural element to it which I can appreciate.

On side c of Swords there is "Teenage Dad" which stuck out most today, as it kind of exemplifies the simplistic teenage good-and-bad world view, in which amical sympathy and a general lack of life experience always override common sense and thus tend to lose critical sight of the big picture.

2a.jpg

Side D of Swords is a wonderful successive flow of songs with one beauty following after the other.

Kevin Morby, obstinately refusing to be mirthful, was on the turntable last night, Singing Saw from 2016, illuminating the darkness of an uncheerful Christmas day.
h.jpg

Meanwhile the Patti Smith Group have their turn with a beautiful Christmas Hymn,...

...and there is another bunch of records waiting to be given a sound wash any minute ...
2b.jpg

to be cont'd. maybe.

to-be-sold: Neil and the Pet shop boys. Both have been unearthed in my mother's basement in October this very year.

Back
Top Bottom