The exclusive vinyl thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 28602
  • Start date
:screamcat:
b.jpg

If I catch the criminal who disposed of this waste in my mother's basement, then woe betide him (or her) ....:gun:

I want to make this clear once, that every record that ends up in my hands, no matter where it comes from or how it looks, no matter its musical orientation nor the vinyl colour it was born with, is treated with respect and utmost care. Every record gets a special treatment, no expenses spared, and some even get the extra round of spins in the record cleaning machine. All of them will sound and look better after they've spent their time with me, some sparkling like polished diamonds afterwards, probably for the first time in their life, and some even sounding like an angel's choir in heaven.

This said, let me present a new bunch of records that I washed yesterday evening while listening to a couple more from the other stack (s.a.)
e.jpg

The upper three are all double lp's.

I was curious about the Neil Diamond Live album as this album was rereleased in August this year as part of a 5 record box set I read about. What I found in my mother's basement is one of the many 1977 releases, unfortunately in extremely bad condition. But despite all the scratches, hairlines, you name it, and a strange clammy substance sticking everywhere on its surface and especially inside the one remaining inner sleeve, I was able to remove most of it. Looked and felt like sunscreen gone old that leaves a viscid coating on your fingers. Anyways, I could play the records after having replaced the inner sleeves and vacuum cleaned both the insides of the record jackets.

Nevertheless, interesting to see that Neil Diamond sold double the number of records that for example Heino sold (50 mio.). I am not really into this sing- and swayalong music for the masses, but I can see that he brought a lot of life and love into many households of that time, dispelling postwar depression, fear of nuclear attacks, social unrest, etc.

Surprisingly, I could play all four sides of this 43-year-old record in one go without any interruptions, the sound was a little damped but fine and sometimes the old brilliance shone through so that the live character of this recording was partly resuscitated. I noticed that it is a CBS recording, the same company that released the James & Bobby Purify record I wrote about in an earlier post and whose sound (52 years old) blew me off my sofa. I will have to keep an eye on CBS records.

The other records waiting in line are:

Tangerine Dream - Poland (Live double LP)

Kevin Morby - Oh my God (colored double LP)

Deep Purple - Not sure right now what this is supposed to be

Grobschnitt LP

A rare Beat album by the Pralins.

The Mama Blues Project on the GDR label Amiga. Looks like some former GDR artists got together for a blues jamming session. We'll see.

POLAND from 1983 is the kind of song which made me listen to Tangerine Dream first of all.

The Polish introduction of the band at the beginning alone is worth tuning into it: ... rock elektroniczne ...

This was recorded during a live concert in Warsaw when Poland was still a People's Republic.

w.jpg

I like side A with "Poland" best as it doesn't sound too much like a soundtrack throughout and it has a steady beat to it which also varies including a caesura in the middle of the song. It's the most pithy of the four (or five, as some records include the hidden track "Rare Bird").

w2.jpg

I listened to Tangerine Dream in the 80s a lot but I never kept track of the songs back then as they were part of the musical backdrop of my life, and there were some tapes I got from friends mostly, which were just being played non-stop, and when the next tape came in, they were tossed into a box.

So, there is still lots to discover when it comes to Tangerine Dream...

SECOND THOROUGHLY WASHED AND DESINFECTED STACK OF RECORDS UPDATE
e.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
FIRST WASHED STACK OF RECORDS UPDATE
ß.2.jpg

Marianne Faithfull: good album. Some people call it the best Come Back Album of all times. I'd be carefull with that. But it definitely has some fine songs on it.

Iggy Pop: Enjoyed that a lot. He should record some audio books, maybe Thomas Pynchon?

Galaxy: Fine album with some outstanding tracks. The lyrics stand out most.

Kevin Morby: Great new album. Keep on strummin', Kev! I like the added pops and crackles on the first side.

Ananta: This will need some more listens to get acquainted with it.

FIRST WASHED STACK OF RECORDS UPDATE
View attachment 60246

Marianne Faithfull: good album. Some people call it the best Come Back Album of all times. I'd be carefull with that. But it definitely has some fine songs on it.

Iggy Pop: Enjoyed that a lot. He should record some audio books, maybe Thomas Pynchon?

Galaxy: Fine album with some outstanding tracks. The lyrics stand out most.

Kevin Morby: Great new album. Keep on strummin', Kev! I like the added pops and crackles on the first side.

Ananta: This will need some more listens to get acquainted with it.

Iggy should do a readin' of the book Tikki Tikki Tembo.
Would like to hear Iggy read "Tikki Tikki Tembo No Sa Rembo Chari Bari Ruchi Pip Peri Pembo."

Tikki-Tikki-Tembo-e1572300392610.png

Turkey Tip - Don't leave ya records in the car where sunlight can get at it.

Went ahead and left this record in the back of the car one night and it
just so happened to be in the direct path of sunlight the next mornin'.
The thing went ahead and got warped.
It still plays, but it looks like it's goin' up and down hills. :(

Morrissey - Everyday Is Like Sunday (warp).JPG

It was an important day for me, and I feel like I'm now taller by a full head, because I got the grasstrimmer of my chainsaw cultivation set running without any probs. Feels like I could also survive the end of the world if necessary.

Alright, with newly regained energy I had a thorough listen of four more freshly washed and desinfected albums...

q.jpg

Turkey Tip - Don't leave ya records in the car where sunlight can get at it.

Went ahead and left this record in the back of the car one night and it
just so happened to be in the direct path of sunlight the next mornin'.
The thing went ahead and got warped.
It still plays, but it looks like it's goin' up and down hills. :(

View attachment 60341
Is this the 12" EDILS single?

Best of the four was "Decatur" by the Silver Apples.

It's one of those albums that you have to make an appointment with in order to fully appreciate it.

r.jpg

This is just one song of appr. 42 minutes, a long stretch of electronic sounds of all sorts, creating kind of an UR-Soup scenario for the listener to witness while it is unfolding. It is the contrast of an almost deep and earthy didgeridoo-like roar reaching back and down into our very own bone marrow, and some very high-pitched churr and twitter of the sky. It is the electronic version of primordial life on earth.

The Beat, Beat, Beat album from 1966 by the German beat band The Pralins is in amazing shape vinyl-wise, whereas the cover is very tattered and had been cellotaped decades ago. The Populär label does no longer exist. It was a small business that released family-friendly records for all age groups.

I am not really into Beat Music though. But it was nice listening to it. I guess that the songs are all cover songs, and sometimes one can feel the atmosphere of the tightly-packed beat clubs with their sweating teens and twens, hearts beating fast because of the music and all the other boys and girls being so close around.

e (2).jpg

I think I'm gonna sell this to someone who was young during the 60s and wants to revive the feeling of these days which are gone and lost nevertheless.

w.jpg

The only interesting thing about this album is its gatefold cover that opens to the inside.

The Harvest label looks nice with its greenish colours.

I am defo no longer willing to listen to such music for longer than five minutes. These days are gone. Sorry guys.

Anyone who was around in the 70s - album covers like Deep Purple In Rock, at the time were they a joke or ego?

How seriously did rock stars take themselves before punk & Spinal Tap?

Anyone who was around in the 70s - album covers like Deep Purple In Rock, at the time were they a joke or ego?

How seriously did rock stars take themselves before punk & Spinal Tap?
No, that was def not a joke...plz go listen to Mr. Gillan singing Child In Time. The cover was a take on Mount Rushmore.mount rushmore

Back
Top Bottom