The exclusive vinyl thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 28602
  • Start date

Kpo63ySrhCJGinpMyxyDuU-1200-80.jpeg

The little tea shop around the corner has added vinyl records to its range of available goods.
Most of the bands and singers put up in the two tea chests I didn't know, which is always a good sign.

BUT, to my surprise I found Kevin Morby's "Singing Saw" from 2016 there, which is formidable because I couldn't get hold of the "Oh My God" RSD 2020 release.

Great album which strikes a dominant chord in me, like a kindred spirit actually singing in the same world that I inhabit.

No RSD 2nd drop day for me, folks. Had to work today, and afterwards I did some vegan meal preppin'.

RSD-wise there were actually just two or three releases I was mildly interested in, but nothing I would put myself into vexations or even danger for. I got pretty sick one week after the first RSD date, and even had to be corona-tested afterwards.

Would have been curious about the Rah Band's album:

Bill Evans had made it on my list too:

Dave Pike, mostly because of the cover. But I also kind of like this sort of tipsy elevator music:

And Camille Yarbrough:

ebay1 - K.png

In case you're interested, folks. For only 40 bucks, I'm sellin' this coloured 7", which, according to the record company, is limited to 30 copies, all individually numbered. First come, first serve! All brand new from the pressing plant. High quality pressing altogether. Buy before they're all gone. They're sellin' like hot cakes... probably all gone by tomorrow! 15 of them were signed by the Man Himself and go for 400.

ebay2 - K.png

Went to the second hand vinyl store today and traded in three battered Uriah Heeps plus one soporific Melody Gardot.
The Melody Gardot album I had bought a couple of weeks ago but after awhile I noticed that I am not really into that soft jazz thing. I can imagine its target group consisting of rather well-off old geezers with a penchant for spanking and heart attacks.

I got two records from the late 70s in return, one soul and one prog album.

The soul album is by a short-lived quartet from New York called "Eon" who were active in the late 70s.

It's an okay album from 1975 with commercial-flavored melodies that all sound familiar and thus pretty lackluster. Nothing that strikes me as remarkable, unfortunately, even though the four guys have distinct voices that intonate with each other very nicely.
The star that never got to shine is the only song on the album which aroused my interest a little bit, mostly because it tells a story:

The prog album is by Venezuelan band "Ananta" which was formed in London in the late 1970s. Like "Eon", they only released two albums. "Songs From the Future" is their second album from 1980 which has some very strong crossover elements. Fortunately, the rather uninspired melodic rock and pop parts don't suffocate the more experimental parts, plus Ilan Chester's lead vocal is expressive enough to keep the listener alert. The beginning sounds very much like Emerson, Lake and Palmer's "Pictures at an Exhibition". Throughout there are some ear-catching art-rock influences, like queen for example (who I don't care much about, honestly). So, it is a lively potpourri of all sorts of rock styles. Even though it is a fine album with some remarkable sections, I must say that in the end I couldn't stop thinking that "Songs From the Past" would have been a more appropriate title.
This is "Questions" from the A-side:

Well, I can't say that I am all excited now. But I am glad that I discovered something new today.

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 59397

In case you're interested, folks. For only 40 bucks, I'm sellin' this coloured 7", which, according to the record company, is limited to 30 copies, all individually numbered. First come, first serve! All brand new from the pressing plant. High quality pressing altogether. Buy before they're all gone. They're sellin' like hot cakes... probably all gone by tomorrow! 15 of them were signed by the Man Himself and go for 400.

View attachment 59398

This is a really poor quality bootleg. Not sure where the signed copies comes into either.

My poor mother had asked me again to save her from more vinyl cluttering the basement. So, I carried appr. 50 additional albums and singles of obscure origin back home. The best ones and hidden gems are already gone, as I have reported somewhere else, and what is left should in many cases never ever see the light of day again. And I am not talking about the moldy ones, these have to be brought to the waste and recycling depot sooner than later. There is lots of other stuff that is simply a depressing sight like all the tasteless 70s and 80s schlager music, best of one-hit wonders and stuff like that. These were never meant to make it into the future.
It will take some time to get through all these records.

Well, rejoice, I can now call myself owner of two Modern Talking albums! :sick:
There are two Neil Diamond Live albums, and yet another Elvis Christmas compilation. 🎅

More to come soon... :paranoid:

4.jpg

My poor mother had asked me again to save her from more vinyl cluttering the basement. So, I carried appr. 50 additional albums and singles of obscure origin back home. The best ones and hidden gems are already gone, as I have reported somewhere else, and what is left should in many cases never ever see the light of day again. And I am not talking about the moldy ones, these have to be brought to the waste and recycling depot sooner than later. There is lots of other stuff that is simply a depressing sight like all the tasteless 70s and 80s schlager music, best of one-hit wonders and stuff like that. These were never meant to make it into the future.
It will take some time to get through all these records.

Well, rejoice, I can now call myself owner of two Modern Talking albums! :sick:
There are two Neil Diamond Live albums, and yet another Elvis Christmas compilation. 🎅

More to come soon... :paranoid:

View attachment 60051

Please don't throw out the Heino records.

For Turkey:

Pretty sure I will find one or two Best of Heinos soon...

It was washing day today...
ß.jpg

I can only wash 10 vinyls in one session. These here are currently drying on their rack in the kitchen. Afterwards, their covers and inner sleeves will be cleaned and replaced if necessary. Some of them will be digitized.

Two of them, I found in my mother's basement: Marianne and the Purify Brothers.

The obscenely overpriced Ananta album I bought at the second hand vinyl shop in town. Traded in some other vinyl for that.

Three other second hand albums were purchased and auctioned online: Silver Apples, Tangerine Dream (Double LP) and Galaxy.

Iggy, Kraftwerk and Kevin Morby are fresh from the pressing plant but were throroughly washed nevertheless.

I prefer translucent coloured vinyl to completely non-translucent coloured vinyl. Looks much more delicate and not so much like Mickey Mouse play money for children...
t.jpg

b.jpg

If this hadn't happened to me, I wouldn't believe it. The James & Bobby Purify album and my hi-fi audio system fell in love with each other today. It was amazing. This sound coming from an album that had spent the last 3 or 4 decades in moldy carton boxes in cellars and basements, immediately after the needle dropped turned the living room into the interior of a pumping heart. It hit me like a lamp post.

Actually, I had thought that the "Pure Sound of the Purifys" would turn out the weakest of the newly-washed bunch of albums, but no, it is indeed the second best sounding record that I have ever listened to. And I don't know how this came about.

James & Bobby Purify were a 60s soul duet who released 4 albums from 1967 to 1977. This one is the second album originally released in 1967. One year later there were two European pressings as well, one Uk and one German pressing. This happens to be the latter from 1968.

As I said, the sound is amazing and it turns this collection of fine and also great soul songs into something galactic. I had listened to them on YouTube as well, and they didn't strike me as exceptional then. So, it's all somewhere in this record.

a.jpg

I had listened to Tangerine Dream's Zeit album before that, and the sound was just okay. Nothing that would come close to the symphonic character of the music. Mostly because it is in mediocre condition. There are too many pops and crackles that somehow butt in like alien trolls on the spaces opened up by these four slow pieces of electronica. My loudspeakers didnt receive the right signals, it seems.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed listening to it several times, even though it demands your time and patience to be able to fully acknowledge its potential. Like most classical music does.

As you can see above, the album cover is all tatty and raddled. It's a laminated 1977 reissue with the orange Brain label pressed from the 1972 original Ohr master plates. Unfortunately, the laminate has almost crumbled off the cover completely and there is even an ungainly punch hole in the lower corner. I got a 60% refund, which is okay, but I am really pissed off with sellers advertising the condition of their vinyl falsely, only to find a way to get rid of their delapidated goods. Of course, this seller promised me that he had checked the record before sending it out, but they are almost all liars somehow. In the end he had to pay to get his positive rating, he knew that, and he even added another 10% to what I had suggested.

Anyways, often the covers are shit but the vinyl is still immaculate or as in this case still in rather good shape.

c.jpg

ß.2.jpg

I am now going to listen to some Heino and Modern Talking to cool down a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 59397

View attachment 59398
Why those 2 songs....?!

Back
Top Bottom