The Atheists vs The Catholics

mauve21

Long time participant
This has to be a 'first time' occurence. Our current Prime Minister,
Ms Julia Gillard has pronounced herself to be an Atheist.
We are to have a Federal Election this weekend and the guy in the other
party is a Catholic.

Julia Gillard:-
JuliaGillard.jpg
current PM for the Labor party. Lives with her
boyfriend. Self proclaimed career woman who says will never marry and has planned to be PM for her whole life. Emigrated to Australia from Wales as a child.

tony-abbott.jpg
Leader of the Opposition Liberal Part. Tony Abbott. Married with children, Catholic. Suffers chronic foot in mouth disease.

What's religion got to do with it. I vote for intelligent people with integrity and good ideas.

Have you got something against Catholics? You wouldn't vote for a candidate because of their religion?

I hope the female atheist wins:)

I hope the atheist wins regardless of gender. Even if she sleeps with dingos it's just a better choice.

What's religion got to do with it. I vote for intelligent people with integrity and good ideas.

Have you got something against Catholics? You wouldn't vote for a candidate because of their religion?

Heh. Heh. The only thing I've got against Catholics, is being
force fed tales of burning in hell when I was a child, etc, etc.
But having said that I too vote for intelligent people with integrity
and good ideas, regardless of their religious views.
But, if they cannot speak in public and behave like a buffoon,
I don't think they deserve a vote.....

Good news, Aussies:

"a saltwater crocodile named Dirty Harry, who predicted Spain's World Cup final win... this week called the result of Australia's general election by snatching a chicken carcass dangling beneath a caricature of Prime Minister Julia Gillard."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20100820/soc-england-2018-octopus/

:thumb:

Could we get the crocodile to eat Sarah Palin? Would the croc's standards be low enough? We could always ply him with tequila shots first.

I admire her bravery. Unfortunately, I think that many people here in the US would not vote for a candidate who was atheist or agnostic. I hope that that changes soon.

A candidate's religion (or lack thereof) shouldn't sway anyone's vote. :straightface:

But it does and that will never change.

Blah.

Perhaps religion shouldn't sway votes but when the politician makes policy in accordance with their religious views then I believe it does matter.
At the moment the election result looks like being a hung parliament after Labor got pretty much wiped out.
And I think the monarchy still has plenty of support by Aust. politicians & voters.

I'm disappointed with the election results.....
grrrr....but my ex husband stole a poster of Bob Brown (The Greens)
yesterday after he voted and he gave it to me and said I should
put it on my bedroom wall......:crazy:
Yeh, he's bloody weird is my ex.
Like, he thinks I'm in love with Bob Brown or something......
He also said "Bob Brown's a GP ya know.....that's why you shouldn't trust
him!".......

Well Bob Brown is very handsome, being a vegetarian and all:)
Get him to sign it, was a historic election for the Greens.

Well Bob Brown is very handsome, being a vegetarian and all:)
Get him to sign it, was a historic election for the Greens.

Mmm, he's a bit old for me, but.
It's very good though, the Greens result.:thumb:
I'm a bit worried though about Tony Abbott having a say
in anything in the government. I hope it doesn't happen....
I've got my fingers and toes crossed that by tonight the Labor party
will have more votes than the Liberals...

Silke was that directed to me? I never said I was an atheist or New Ager & I'm not wanting to 'shit on' anyones beliefs. My comment related to the fact that in Australia we have a seperation from Church and State & Tony Abbot stated he had never let his Catholic religion influence his vote when clearly he has on the issue of RU486 & has made statements about his daughters virginity being a "precious gift", which just seems really wrong to me.

Silke was that directed to me? I never said I was an atheist or New Ager & I'm not wanting to 'shit on' anyones beliefs. My comment related to the fact that in Australia we have a seperation from Church and State & Tony Abbot stated he had never let his Catholic religion influence his vote when clearly he has on the issue of RU486 & has made statements about his daughters virginity being a "precious gift", which just seems really wrong to me.

You have to understand that there actually are intelligent, informed religious minds out there. In this case, I'm assuming what he means by "never let his Catholic religion influence his vote" is he doesn't make that choices he makes because he's Catholic but he's Catholic because of the choices he makes.

At least I hope so.

Back
Top Bottom