The 1981 gay pride march in Huddersfield - Morrissey spotted in photos?

If you ask me, that's him, no doubt.

20200710_094349.jpg

Link to article:

Also:

What do we think about him? Spotted in another picture from the article.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, but I seem to remember him also saying to his penfriend in the same letter, 'I hate sex.' I got the sense the Annalisa phase was him 'trying out hetero' to see if he could do it - because it just doesn't seem to fit with much of what he says about women in his writing and comments. But who knows.

I used to hang out with attractive women as a teen....didn't mean i was going to end up doing anything with them. People can just be friends with the opposite sex....gay, bi or straight.

I think he was joking - because there's a ton of stuff you could submit in evidence from Moz's interviews.
No he wasn’t joking. That’s why there is no overtly gay scenes and probably why someone like James Maker was left out. You only get Moz running away from his “date” with that girl. Or furtive looks at Billy and Johnny. Why else would you leave out something so intrinsic to his character? It’s a shame.

No he wasn’t joking. That’s why there is no overtly gay scenes and probably why someone like James Maker was left out. You only get Moz running away from his “date” with that girl. Or furtive looks at Billy and Johnny. Why else would you leave out something so intrinsic to his character? It’s a shame.
Because he doesn't want attention drawn to that side of himself. In 'The Severed Alliance', there's a mention given to a black punk friend of Morrissey's named Marcia who accompanied him to a couple of Nosebleeds rehearsals. She's not in the film. Not that it matters, but there'll be those still curious by her omission.

I think he was joking - because there's a ton of stuff you could submit in evidence from Moz's interviews.
I have no idea if it's true or not but I don't think it's that implausible. Morrissey wants to control everything when it comes to his career and public perception, he probably hated the idea of a movie that he didn't have any control over.

When it came out he didn't criticise it directly but had James Maker and Jackie do it for him, it was obvious that he was very disgruntled about it.

They might have won in court, had it come to that, but maybe they wanted to avoid a court case in the first place. I think the director was a fan himself, wasn't he?

Yeah, but I seem to remember him also saying to his penfriend in the same letter, 'I hate sex.' I got the sense the Annalisa phase was him 'trying out hetero' to see if he could do it - because it just doesn't seem to fit with much of what he says about women in his writing and comments. But who knows.
I thought, in that particular letter (c.1981), he mentions Annalisa, and says they're both bisexual, before going on to say he hates sex.

I seem to remember reading that the screenplay was written before Autobio came out. I have wondered, if that's true, whether they might have been able to make a different film had they had access to that as 'source material.' After all, he could hardly sue if it's right there in his own words.

Yes. Conflicted. That was my point.
How is that conflicted? You can be bisexual and still "hate sex".
You can be attracted to people of the same sex and people of a different sex and still not enjoy the actual act of sex.

I seem to remember reading that the screenplay was written before Autobio came out. I have wondered, if that's true, whether they might have been able to make a different film had they had access to that as 'source material.' After all, he could hardly sue if it's right there in his own words.

He said in the 80s that he was attracted to men & women. That's enough.

Also - it's MOR biopic in the 21st Century - there was never going to be uncuttable gay references.

You can be attracted to people of the same sex and people of a different sex and still not enjoy the actual act if sex.
Yes, that is one interpretation of it, certainly. I was taking it in the context of him dating a girl at the time he said it. Either interpretation could be correct. He certainly has had some fairly poisonous things to say about women's bodies, but seems not to feel the same revulsion towards men's.

He said in the 80s that he was attracted to men & women. That's enough.

Also - it's MOR biopic in the 21st Century - there was never going to be uncuttable gay references.
Because Morrissey obviously tells the truth about everything :lbf: It makes no difference either way, but I am sceptical about the 'bi/huma' stuff because of the many disparaging things he's said about women's bodies. He just doesn't sound like someone who likes women sexually.

Just a thought BUT !!!!
Could it be a National Front demo and to save Uncle getting more bad press Sam has used his photoshop skills?

🇬🇧 :knife:

You can be attracted to people of the same sex and people of a different sex and still not enjoy the actual act of sex.
mz1.JPG

I get the impression he hadn't actually had sex at all, and this 'bisexual' mention was him just being 'hip'. It's 1981 & he's 22, but the writing is so immature that it's quite embarrassing really, so I can't imagine him being mentally mature enough to have had sex with anyone.

Yes, that is one interpretation of it, certainly. I was taking it in the context of him dating a girl at the time he said it. Either interpretation could be correct. He certainly has had some fairly poisonous things to say about women's bodies, but seems not to feel the same revulsion towards men's.
Oh, I don't disagree that he seems to be a lot more gay-leaning and looking at his early Smiths lyrics, Autobiography and also some of the topics that were discussed in List Of The Lost, it seems like he might have had a couple of bad experiences with women.

My comment was more of a general statement. Sorry for not being clear.
Attraction is far more complex than many people acknowledge. Which is why I support Morrissey's rejection of the usual labels and him coming up with his own. It doesn't make him any less "queer" or gay.

View attachment 57582

I get the impression he hadn't actually had sex at all, and this 'bisexual' mention was him just being 'hip'. The writing is so immature that it's quite embarrassing really, so I can't imagine him being mentally mature enough to have had sex with anyone.
He mentioned in Autobiography having bad experiences (and disinterest) with girls (around 13 or so?), and he said in The Observer (December 1992) that he had sex with a man in 1982, so relatively close to this time. You don't have to be "mentally mature" to be sexually active lol

I have no idea if it's true or not but I don't think it's that implausible. Morrissey wants to control everything when it comes to his career and public perception, he probably hated the idea of a movie that he didn't have any control over.

When it came out he didn't criticise it directly but had James Maker and Jackie do it for him, it was obvious that he was very disgruntled about it.

They might have won in court, had it come to that, but maybe they wanted to avoid a court case in the first place. I think the director was a fan himself, wasn't he?

Yeah - there's no doubt Moz wanted the film stopped - but I think they always wanted the nerd & the pretty girl.

Because it's not as sellable as the girl.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom