The 1981 gay pride march in Huddersfield - Morrissey spotted in photos?

If you ask me, that's him, no doubt.

20200710_094349.jpg

Link to article:

Also:

What do we think about him? Spotted in another picture from the article.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
“ I assume there was that fear that it would damage his career and after doing that for so long it then became very difficult to come out for fear of people thinking he has been a fake all that time. There are lots of famous people from back then or earlier who did the same thing but eventually came out and it never affected their careers.”

Well, we should assume Moz too can see that it has not affected the careers of other artists that have come out, and I’m sure by now he doesn’t feel his family would disown him.

So there must be another reason for not wanting to being labeled as gay.

It may be that it irks him more to be put into any box that he himself has not created.

I mean, if his sexuality has to be labeled by the public, then he will do it on his own terms, even going as far as having to invent his own word for it ... humasexual.

But you are assuming a lot there. I know gay men who are not out today and have had success in their work but are still not willing to come out to their families or friends. I know a couple in London who live together but they won't tell either of their families and they aren't out at work or to a lot of their friends. When people have visited they tell people that the other one lives in the flat downstairs or is a friend visiting. One is a divorcee and has kids from his marriage and he doesn't want to come out to his kids either. Neither are out in their jobs. There are plenty of people who are not out even though there is no risk to their career. Many reasons for that. I dont believe it is to do with labels. Well he may not like the label but that doesn't mean he isnt. To go to extreme methods to try to hide it and not be seen walking past a gay area etc is more than just not wanting to be labeled. Coming up with a word humosexual is just an excuse. I did it in my 20s when I was working, I would say I am not interested in sex or I am bisexual, or I'm celibate or I didn't like boxes and labels but I was just choosing to not come out and say I was gay. I knew I was gay and had no interest in women sexually but I was not going to admit to anyone.

Have I stumbled into a parallel universe in which people think the public has no inkling that Morrissey - that's Morrissey - is a bit gay? It's like thinking we don't know he likes cats.

No but I dont think he thinks everyone thinks that. There are many people on here who are adamantly stating he isnt. Having rumours and actually wanting to say it openly are two very different things.

Are all female Moz fans ‘fag hags’ then?

Whatever.

Tina was a fan that became a friend, or possibly (or obviously) became something more than a friendship. Don’t think more needs to be, or can be said.

Their relationship was important enough for Morrissey to include it in Autobiography probably to show that in spite of what the public may think, he’s far more complex, which I’m sure he would agree is true for a lot of people when it comes to their own sexuality.

But there is nothing in the book that implies a sexual relationship. There is nothing odd about having a female friend. People using Tina as an example that he wasn't gay is not backed up by anything in the book.

Photographer says we're out of luck - it's Chester. And not Moz.

But Moz was on the Manchester gay scene at the time.

That isnt Chester. There are no stacks like that in Chester and there was no Gay Pride in Chester in 1981.

The first place to get a gay pride march outside of London was Huddersfield in 1981. There wasn't one in Manchester.

It would not be unrealistic to think people traveled from Manchester and all around to join that march, the 1st in the country outside of London.

It is so him unless he has a twin

.... think you may want to reread that article.

But the man who took the photo is not a believer.

Peter Scott Presland, told YorkshireLive the photo was genuine and not 'photoshopped' but said he doubted it was the soon to be indie pop star.

"I don't think it's Morrissey, just someone who looks like him," he said.

"He is marching with the Chester Campaign for Homosexual Equality (not Manchester), which was very active in the 80s - had their own gay centre and everything.”

People in Manchester had links to people in Chester. I lived in Manchester and I had gay friends who travelled to Manchester at weekends to go out and vice versa. Chester did have a lot of prominence with regard to campaigning.

Nothing that is said above means it isnt Moz. "I dont think" isnt really convincing. How would he know unless someone has already contacted the site :)

But you are assuming a lot there. I know gay men who are not out today and have had success in their work but are still not willing to come out to their families or friends. I know a couple in London who live together but they won't tell either of their families and they aren't out at work or to a lot of their friends. When people have visited they tell people that the other one lives in the flat downstairs or is a friend visiting. One is a divorcee and has kids from his marriage and he doesn't want to come out to his kids either. Neither are out in their jobs. There are plenty of people who are not out even though there is no risk to their career. Many reasons for that. I dont believe it is to do with labels. Well he may not like the label but that doesn't mean he isnt. To go to extreme methods to try to hide it and not be seen walking past a gay area etc is more than just not wanting to be labeled. Coming up with a word humosexual is just an excuse. I did it in my 20s when I was working, I would say I am not interested in sex or I am bisexual, or I'm celibate or I didn't like boxes and labels but I was just choosing to not come out and say I was gay. I knew I was gay and had no interest in women sexually but I was not going to admit to anyone.

Fair enough.

But I don’t think Morrissey is hiding anything. Look at his art and they way he presents himself. If he really was trying to hide, he would be married to a woman with children by now, he has the money to do so, would be no skin off his back.

It's almost awe-inspiring how you think about Johnny 24/7, it really is, but you need some new material.

:rolleyes:

put on your 4 pair of shoes and go check on :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: whereabouts🤒9

But there is nothing in the book that implies a sexual relationship. There is nothing odd about having a female friend. People using Tina as an example that he wasn't gay is not backed up by anything in the book.

I believe he mentions the possibility of having a child during the time of this relationship. I don’t think he included it to say ‘hey look, I’m not gay’ I’m just saying that he may have included it to show that like a lot of people, one’s sexuality is more complex than just being labeled straight or gay.

Fair enough.

But I don’t think Morrissey is hiding anything. Look at his art and they way he presents himself. If he really was trying to hide, he would be married to a woman with children by now, he has the money to do so, would be no skin off his back.

But he does hide things. He has always been evasive and I certainly dont buy the humosexual (got that is an annoying word - keeps spellchecking :) ) He purposely avoids the question and avoids being seen in places where people could relate to him being gay.

Who really cares anymore. If he just was open then no one would give a shit

People in Manchester had links to people in Chester. I lived in Manchester and I had gay friends who travelled to Manchester at weekends to go out and vice versa. Chester did have a lot of prominence with regard to campaigning.

Nothing that is said above means it isnt Moz. "I dont think" isnt really convincing. How would he know unless someone has already contacted the site :)

I agree with you.

Now deleted, I actually misread Nerak’s post.

I appreciate your posts and point of view, thank you.

I’m sure we’re all interested in these NME back page correspondences.

Did you correspond with M? If so, is there anything more you can say about this?

But he does hide things. He has always been evasive and I certainly dont buy the humosexual (got that is an annoying word - keeps spellchecking :) ) He purposely avoids the question and avoids being seen in places where people could relate to him being gay.

Who really cares anymore. If he just was open then no one would give a shit

We’ll both be going in circles on this subject of hiding or not hiding. But, if he is hiding as you say, then he’s not doing a very good job of it! lol.

Agree, that most wouldn’t give a shit If he was open. I mean, he may avoid the question, but at the same time answers the question just through his art and how he presents himself.

Are all female Moz fans ‘fag hags’ then?

Whatever.

Tina was a fan that became a friend, or possibly (or obviously) became something more than a friendship. Don’t think more needs to be, or can be said.

Their relationship was important enough for Morrissey to include it in Autobiography probably to show that in spite of what the public may think, he’s far more complex, which I’m sure he would agree is true for a lot of people when it comes to their own sexuality.
Are all female moz fans fag hags... probably not... this wasn’t my point.... my point was the pair of them discussing parenthood was , in my view probably non existent, or for a giggle when boozy at best

No but I dont think he thinks everyone thinks that. There are many people on here who are adamantly stating he isnt. Having rumours and actually wanting to say it openly are two very different things.

I think he just finds it embarrassing saying he's in love with a particular person. It's a bit hostage to fortune. Look at Jennifer Aniston - they STILL write about her & Brad.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom