Svenska Dagbladet (Swedish) review - 1/5

sea salt

ɹǝqɯǝɯ uʍouʞ-llǝM
Review in one of Sweden's biggest morning papers Svenska Dagbladet:

"Pop music that Jimmie Åkesson (far-right politician) will love.
Low in High School is a loathsome wreck. The first far-right concept album by an artist on this level. Andres Lokko gives Morrissey's new album a very weak 1/5."

https://www.svd.se/popmusik-som-jimmie-akesson-kommer-att-alska

Don't shoot the messenger.

Google translate:

In 1985, Morrissey as a singer and writer in The Smiths was a sexually ambivalent, even asexual, feminist animal rights activist who contradicted the rock and society-machocultural consensus in his NHS glasses and hearing aids. He was wearing a cardigan when everyone else wore leather pants. Morrissey filled his back pockets with daffodils and loved black girl groups, romantic poetry and kitchen bench realistic movies, and The Arga Young 1950s novels that the films so often built on. Without any major sarcasm, he was talking about how Thatcher should be guillotinated while standing up for the striking British miners.

Morrissey was a modern Oscar Wilde and an updated Robert Tressell in the same person. I have met him a couple of times, very long ago: in Paris and - of all places - in Salt Lake City, meetings that I carry forever with me. I have rarely had such stimulating talks with a pop star that was equally versatile in Germaine Greer essays and Curved Air's early singles as he was engaged in his disgust against the British Tory Party.

2017 is a t-shirt, adorned with the text "Love The Smiths, Hate Morrissey", more sold and desirable than any of Morrissey's own merchandise, some of which in his latest "collection" are based on the form and ideas of the orthodox denominator orchestra Skrewdriver.

The Smiths were everything that Morrissey of today is not.
In addition, I've recently seen "Love The Smiths, Hate Morrissey" tattooed on a young forearm. The Smiths continue to hit new generations with such power that they feel they have to apologize for it so that no one will get them to appreciate what Morrissey thirty years later represents.

It says quite a bit about how important The Smiths were and still are: they were everything that Morrissey of today is not. It is a discrepancy that is unprecedented in modern music history.

The right regrets traditionally, all the more often than not, that they do not have their own rock. Well, that's right. In any case, UKIP and SD and, unfortunately, a large part of the Moderates and Christian Democrats now have it - it still makes me surprised even while I'm writing it - ally Morrissey.

Are there no redeeming moments on "Low in high school"?

In fact, it's not right to answer. The fact that it is the first as well as purely right-wing extremist conceptual album of an artist on this level makes it impossible to see past ambition and lyricism.

Occasionally, Morrissey leaves his Hanif Bali rock to visit his boundless love for oral sex instead. It is, hand on heart, not particularly successful.

But it's as fascinating as it's really scary that it was like composing pop music that Nigel Farage and Jimmie Åkesson will love. And it turned out to be just Morrissey who volunteered for this suicide mission.

If Morrissey was Swedish, nobody else than Timbro would like to give out his right-handed duets with, say, Katerina Janouch, adorned by the covers of literature historian Johan Lundberg or Alexander Bard.

Yes, the hole Morrissey has dug himself in is so deep that there is no way back to something that even reminds us of dignity.

Last edited:
Haha!! This has to be the most polarizing album of Morrissey's career.
So much disdain leveled at him for an ambiguous throwaway comment about UKIP. Good grief.

Funny though that not much of the first paragraph has really changed. He’s still a feminist animal rights huma sexual oddity using long dead poets and film stars for song inspiration. Don’t even get me started on the cardigan (I’m sorry for ever making first mention of it before). He’s just now added anti news elements more prominently, why didn’t people take note of journalists who lie, and a reservations about not having citizens controlling there immigration policy

Svenska Dagbladet
Svenska Dagbladet
Svenska Dagbladet
Would you choke for me?

So an album that features anti-Police songs and anti-military songs is now 'far-right'... anything but surely

Hiya friends!

I was online reading swedish papers on my honeymoon and happened to see a very critical review of the new Morrissey album from the swedish music journalist Andres Lokko. Lokko who has met Morrissey twice over the years for interviews is completely in shock that Morrissey has turned into a right wing extremist pop artist.

He starts by describing the Morrissey of old and what he was into at the time with The Smiths and the first solo years. He now feels Morrissey has completely changed and that the music is made for UKIP and the Sweden Democrat party leader Jimmie Åkesson.

Lokko claims that the latest merchandise is inspired by the holocaust denying band Skrewdriver in design and ideas. He makes references to the swedish moderate party politician Hanif Bali, famous for his controversial views and also mentions Katerina Janouch who has become a symbol for the anti government alternative media in Sweden.

The article is still behind a pay wall but I managed to find a transcript which is of course in swedish and I cannot copy the text for a Google translate. It is my hope that I will be able to post the full transcript in a few days time but I leave a link to the transcript in swedish.

https://cdn.pbrd.co/images/GTWxUxS.png

Urbanus
Honolulu, November 2017

Google translate (will clean up after walking the dogs):

In 1985, Morrissey as a singer and writer in The Smiths was a sexually ambivalent, even asexual, feminist animal rights activist who contradicted the rock and society-machocultural consensus in his NHS glasses and hearing aids. He was wearing a brief cardigan when everyone else eaten in leather pants. Morrissey filled his back pockets with daffodils and loved black girl groups, romantic poetry and kitchen bench realistic movies, and The Arga Young 1950s novels that the films so often built on. Without any major sarcasm, he was talking about how Thatcher should be guillotinated while standing up for the striking British miners.

Morrissey was a modern Oscar Wilde and an updated Robert Tressell in the same person. I have met him a couple of times, very long ago: in Paris and - of all places - in Salt Lake City, meetings that I carry forever with me. I have rarely had such stimulating talks with a pop star that was equally versatile in Germaine Greer essays and Curved Air's early singles as he was engaged in his disgust against the British Toric Party.

2017 is a t-shirt, adorned with the text "Love The Smiths, Hate Morrissey", more sold and desirable than any of Morrissey's own merchandise, some of which in his latest "collection" are based on the form and ideas of the orthodox denominator orchestra Skrewdriver.

The Smiths were everything that Morrissey of today is not.
In addition, I've recently seen "Love The Smiths, Hate Morrissey" tattooed on a young forearm. The Smiths continue to hit new generations with such power that they feel they have to apologize for it so that no one will get them to appreciate what Morrissey thirty years later represents.

It says quite a bit about how important The Smiths were and still are: they were everything that Morrissey of today is not. It is a discrepancy that is unprecedented in modern music history.

The right regrets traditionally, all the more often than not, that they do not have their own rock. Well, that's right. In any case, UKIP and SD and, unfortunately, a large part of the Moderates and Christian Democrats now have it - it still makes me surprised even while I'm writing it - ally Morrissey.

Are there no reconciliation moments at "Low in high school"?

In fact, it's not right to answer. The fact that it is the first as well as purely right-wing extremist conceptual album of an artist at this level makes it impossible to see past ambition and lyricism.

Occasionally, Morrissey leaves his Hanif Bali rock to visit his boundless love for oral sex instead. It is, the hand on the heart, not particularly successful.

But it's as fascinating as it's really scary that it was like composing pop music that Nigel Farage and Jimmie Åkesson will love. And it turned out to be just Morrissey who volunteered for this suicide mission.

If Morrissey was Swedish, nobody else than Timbro would like to give out his right-handed duets with, say, Katerina Janouch, adorned by the covers of literature historian Johan Lundberg or Alexander Bard.

Yes, the hole Morrissey has dug in is so deep that there is no way back to something that even reminds us of dignity.

The right translation is as follows:

The holocaust denying band Skrewdriver in design and ideas.

--Anton

Hiya friends!

I was online reading swedish papers on my honeymoon and happened to see a very critical review of the new Morrissey album from the swedish music journalist Andres Lokko. Lokko who has met Morrissey twice over the years for interviews is completely in shock that Morrissey has turned into a right wing extremist pop artist.

He starts by describing the Morrissey of old and what he was into at the time with The Smiths and the first solo years. He now feels Morrissey has completely changed and that the music is made for UKIP and the Sweden Democrat party leader Jimmie Åkesson.

Lokko claims that the latest merchandise is inspired by the holocaust denying band Skrewdriver in design and ideas. He makes references to the swedish moderate party politician Hanif Bali, famous for his controversial views and also mentions Katerina Janouch who has become a symbol for the anti government alternative media in Sweden.

The article is still behind a pay wall but I managed to find a transcript which is of course in swedish and I cannot copy the text for a Google translate. It is my hope that I will be able to post the full transcript in a few days time but I leave a link to the transcript in swedish.

https://cdn.pbrd.co/images/GTWxUxS.png

Urbanus
Honolulu, November 2017

Thanks to moderator for placing it here when a thread had already been created.

I find it very strange that people are STILL ignorant with their knowledge of Nigel Farage and of UKIP.

Lokko mentioning Skrewdriver design is because of this but in all honesty it is a Lonsdale design.

skrewdriver-oi-men-s-t-shirt.jpg

BLACK_2048x2048.jpg

--Anton

It's obviously a very shallow review as he doesn't even touch on the music. Andres Lokko is probably the most renowned music critic in this country, but his reputation took a bit of a beating a few years ago when it turned out he was having lots of opinions on albums he hadn't even listened to.

Can't say I disagree with some of the points made though.

Andres Lokko's review of the new album is ridiculed by Expressen's Johan Hakelius.

https://www.expressen.se/kronikorer/johan-hakelius/offentligheten-ar-full-av-pyromaner/

Rough Google Translate:
"
The public is full of pyromaniacs

I read Andres Lokko's review in Svenska Dagbladet of Morrissey's new album. Sawing it, you can say. "High-extremist conceptual album", I think the key concept was. A shrewd formulation, but it became a bit hanging in nothing.
I do not mean that the wording necessarily has no basis. I bought Morrissey's album in advance already a few months ago, as I usually do. I could download it yesterday. I will probably never listen to it, just as usual for the last few decades.
I also bought Morrissey's novel. I would never mind opening it. He simply has become too sad. But you can decorate a little anyway, for old times. Cultural support, so that the boy can afford to continue to feel angry and misunderstood in county environments.
So, it would not surprise me if Lokko is right. Morrissey's political tirades - left or right - have always been driven more by aesthetics, romance and revanchism than anything else. Then you can end up anywhere. And now he has gotten quite wrong, as far as Lokko is concerned.
It's just that you do not get to know a dew about the disc.
Morrissey's new record. Unclear what it contains.

On a guessing 3,500 characters, Lokko mentions Timbro, the Moderates, the Christian Democrats and the Swedish Democrats. In addition, Margaret Thatcher, Jimmie Åkesson, Hanif Bali, Nigel Farage, Katerina Janouch, Johan Lundberg and Alexander Bard. He does not do that because they have a lot to do with Morrissey. But they serve another purpose. These people and organizations are markers. They are ready to clumble and distance themselves. And to associate with such a man dislikes, like a kind of pest flagship game.
So you understand beyond doubt that Lokko really dislikes Morrissey, when Janouch, Åkesson and Bali are lifted and smashed in the hot air above the underbite Manchester puss.
Good so but you could not have known anything, a little matter, what the record contains? A nice text line? A terrible thought? Something kind of description of the music itself? A bassline A riff? Anything.
But there's actually nothing but a short reference to the old celibate singer saying that he had a taste for oral sex. And it should soon be felt like a redemption for all of us, not just for Morrissey himself.
It happens to me that I get such thoughts when I read the newspaper. So many texts seem to have completely dealt with the idea of actually telling something. So many texts seem to be just about marking tribal membership. It's like the sports days at school when the sportsmen of the class rushed to each corner of the gymnasium and shouted at the mouth of each other: "BLUE TEAM OVER HERE!" "RED TEAM OVER HERE!
That was the one that made me choose quiz and chess when those cursed days came.
It is sometimes said that we live in a time when we lack common campfires. Something to gather around, feel the heat and the community.
But the truth is, rather, the public is full of pyromaniacs. It's burning a bit here and there. Books and discs, movies and thoughts, ideas, and even people are stuck on fire, just because their own tribe feels so gay. We who never liked team sports are allowed to freeze.

--Anton

Back
Top Bottom