Strange/unexpected Moz references?

If true, maybe Bengali was more about him then we thought.

Nice find, must have been from early 70’s.

No idea where this is from, unfortunately.

Reminded me of this exchange with the patronising priest and of course of his adventures with the fantastically flamboyant Jo(h)n Daley.

"Occasionally we suffer the disdainful presence of a local priest, young and patronizing, with a name never to be recalled. Oddly, he seems to fix his curiosity upon me, possibly because I sit aloof, possibly because I do not contribute to polite laughter, possibly because of the newly tended weave in my hair.
And what do YOU like in life?’ he asks me, ready to play the patronizing game at my expense in order to raise a giggle from the rest of the class, thus rendering him popular for a few perverse minutes.
Mott the Hoople,’ I answer truthfully.
Oh, I see,’ he smirks, greater and grander than us all, ‘most boys like girls – he likes Mott the Hoople.’"

Wow! he definitely shoplifted that line from that early James Dean made for tv film.

Has this source already been documented, or is it the first time that it’s been spotted ?

I don’t own all the Morrissey books
so maybe it’s already been mentioned.

Fun doc also, thanks for the link!

In his autobiography he said part of his process was taking everything he'd seen & heard & blending it into something new.

If true, maybe Bengali was more about him then we thought.

Nice find, must have been from early 70’s.

It's so like other songs & other things he's said - it just shows you how bigoted the UK really is, journalists can't see its similarity because of the word Bengali.

In his autobiography he said part of his process was taking everything he'd seen & heard & blending it into something new.

In 1988 he described it like this

"That's all I do in life, really - look out for something interesting. Like a net trawling in the sea? Exactly. I'm just a big net."

Morrissey is like a filter that processes the world around him and puts out art that consists of fragments of various influences rearranged through his unique vision.

In 1988 he described it like this

"That's all I do in life, really - look out for something interesting. Like a net trawling in the sea? Exactly. I'm just a big net."

Morrissey is like a filter that processes the world around him and puts out art that consists of fragments of various influences rearranged through his unique vision.

The key here is that his vision is unique, not so much the process. I think most artists take in the outside world, chew it up and spit it out, and call it their ‘art’.

For Morrissey, it’s all just ‘grist for the mill’.

Though it’s what Morrissey thinks is interesting and what isn’t interesting to him, what word or words, ideas he gravitates to is what’s ... unique.

Why out of all the lines did he swoop down and pluck ‘my only weakness is .. well, never mind’
then he repeated ‘never mind’.

He sings that his weakness is a ‘listed crime’. Though something that can’t be spoken, so ... never mind.

Maybe Goddard says more about this in his book.

The key here is that his vision is unique, not so much the process. I think most artists take in the outside world, chew it up and spit it out, and call it their ‘art’.

For Morrissey, it’s all just ‘grist for the mill’.

Though it’s what Morrissey thinks is interesting and what isn’t interesting to him, what word or words, ideas he gravitates to is what’s ... unique.

Yes, absolutely agree.

Why out of all the lines did he swoop down and pluck ‘my only weakness is .. well, never mind’
then he repeated ‘never mind’.

He sings that his weakness is a ‘listed crime’. Though something that can’t be spoken, so ... never mind.

Maybe Goddard says more about this in his book.

No, he doesn't. In most cases he just lists references and doesn't interpret Morrissey's choices.

"More obscure is a snatch of dialogue from a 1953 television drama starring James DEAN. In Life Sentence, an episode of Campbell Playhouse, Dean plays an escaped convict who tells Georgann Johnson, ‘Before I was a convict I was an intern. A good intern with a bad temper. My only weakness was … never mind.’"

FWD kindly uploaded digital copies of many Morrissey and Smiths related books, if you want to have a peek. The Goddard books as well as Len Brown's Meetings With Morrissey are worth reading imo.

Saw this letter from December 1976 posted on social media again earlier and for the first time noticed Patti's jacket...

MozLetterRecordMirrorDec1976.jpg

... which reminded me of this snazzy 2017 Queen's speech look:

ScreenshotDecemberSpeech2017.jpg

Saw this letter from December 1976 posted on social media again earlier and for the first time noticed Patti's jacket...

View attachment 69140

View attachment 69141

Good Lord. It's just as well he does have real talent or he would have ended up in a punk tribute act.

Although I have spent my life trying to dress like 1970s Kate Bush.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Lord. It's just as well he does have real talent or he would have ended up in punk tribute act.

...?

KarateKate.jpg

(I know this is from 1982, please don't ruin my joke)

Started watching a Portuguese series about the 80’s in Portugal and the main character is obsessed with The Smiths. Best tribute to The Smiths on a tv series EVER! 3 songs in the first episode and 1 on the second. What a surprise! It’s not subtitled but in case anyone is feeling curious😊:

https://www.rtp.pt/play/p4460/1986

View attachment 69140

View attachment 69141

Major kudos.

That is some hardcore psycho spotting, crazy-ass cross-referencing, primo peak peekery, which is borderline uncanny. And kinda scary. í am jealous.

:bow:

Maybe í need an eye test...

Rocky Graziano Kubrick.jpg

Major kudos.

That is some hardcore psycho spotting, crazy-ass cross-referencing, primo peak peekery, which is borderline uncanny. And kinda scary. í am jealous.

:bow:

Maybe í need an eye test...

View attachment 69150

My occipital lobe is directly, wirelessly, via black magic, connected to Morrissey's wardrobe. It's a limited edition feature exclusive to this model and wasn't greenlit for mass production because it interferes with other basic functions like social competence or remembering where I put my keys.

RockyBackdrop.jpg

Good Lord. It's just as well he does have real talent or he would have ended up in a punk tribute act.

I mean... he's trying his best

MorrisseyImmaculateConception2012.jpeg

DavidJohansenBobGruenImmaculateConception.jpg

My occipital lobe is directly, wirelessly, via black magic, connected to Morrissey's wardrobe. It's a limited edition feature exclusive to this model and wasn't greenlit for mass production because it interferes with other basic functions like social competence or remembering where I put my keys.

View attachment 69152

í will see your Patti. And raise you a Jimmy...?

James Dean lasso knot G. Thomas Beyl.jpg

Morrissey 2006 knot.jpg

Forever lassoing himself with his own whip mic...

Tags
burlesque coronation street live morrissey new album poster sport strips the smiths
Back
Top Bottom