Strange/unexpected Moz references?

I wondered if November Spawned a Monster had anything to do with Brimstone & Treacle? It was a Play For Today that was so controversial the BBC decided not to show it until 1987 (it was filmed in 1976) & it was made into a film staring Sting in 1982. The film was released in November, bit tenuous, but it's about a disabled girl who is raped by a young man (who might be the Devil) & the rape cures her disability.

I can't find the film's original trailer.

From the t.v play:

It also has the line England for the English - because the Dad is a member of the National Front.

He certainly did. The song is an adaptation of one of the chapters of the book... and a quite literal adaptation.
Very few words in the song are not repeating what the book says, mainly the month of "November" (November is not relevant in the book, nor the book was released during a November, nor the author was born in November)...

The only other difference is the end of the song, which is somehow more hopeful than the book (Oh, one fine day / Let it be soon / She won't be rich or beautiful / But she'll be walking your streets / In the clothes that she went out / And chose for herself).

The book finished the story with the author feeling sad about the Hermaphrodite and there isn't any hopeful wish for the future of the Hermaphrodite... but the song is certainly an adaptation... and that's a curiosity, because I don't remember any other song by Morrissey in which he adapted a story from a book or a film or anything (of course he likes quoting things here and there all the time, but quite literal adaptation of a story, I think November is the only one).
Thank you, very interesting!
I've never read Les Chants de Maldoror, will definitely check it out.

One could argue that This Night Has Opened My Eyes is an adaptation of A Taste Of Honey and Morrissey said that it was an attempt of doing just that.

And Shakespeare's Sister somewhat feels like a reenactment of the desperate consuming passion of By Grand Central Station I Sat Down And Wept, from which it also draws lyrically, but it's not a complete adaptation.

Quick read:

He certainly did. The song is an adaptation of one of the chapters of the book... and a quite literal adaptation.
Very few words in the song are not repeating what the book says, mainly the month of "November" (November is not relevant in the book, nor the book was released during a November, nor the author was born in November)...

The only other difference is the end of the song, which is somehow more hopeful than the book (Oh, one fine day / Let it be soon / She won't be rich or beautiful / But she'll be walking your streets / In the clothes that she went out / And chose for herself).

The book finished the story with the author feeling sad about the Hermaphrodite and there isn't any hopeful wish for the future of the Hermaphrodite... but the song is certainly an adaptation... and that's a curiosity, because I don't remember any other song by Morrissey in which he adapted a story from a book or a film or anything (of course he likes quoting things here and there all the time, but quite literal adaptation of a story, I think November is the only one).

It would be nice to believe that he actually read and was influenced by one of my favorite works of art Maldoror. I’ve read two different translations Of Maldoror and to say that M was influenced by it and that this influence can be seen in the song November, is a bit of a stretch for me. I wish I could be swayed into believing otherwise.

I wondered if November Spawned a Monster had anything to do with Brimstone & Treacle? It was a Play For Today that was so controversial the BBC decided not to show it until 1987 (it was filmed in 1976) & it was made into a film staring Sting in 1982. The film was released in November, bit tenuous, but it's about a disabled girl who is raped by a young man (who might be the Devil) & the rape cures her disability.

I can't find the film's original trailer.

From the t.v play:

It also has the line England for the English - because the Dad is a member of the National Front.

‘but it's about a disabled girl who is raped by a young man (who might be the Devil) & the rape cures her disability.’ 😲😲doh:

‘but it's about a disabled girl who is raped by a young man (who might be the Devil) & the rape cures her disability.’ 😲😲doh:

It's a grim satire about religious faith - but you can see why the BBC executive thought it was too disgusting to transmit.

It's really good though.

Bit tenuous, but as it was a Smiths-inspired play being staged...
FWD.

It would be nice to believe that he actually read and was influenced by one of my favorite works of art Maldoror. I’ve read two different translations Of Maldoror and to say that M was influenced by it and that this influence can be seen in the song November, is a bit of a stretch for me. I wish I could be swayed into believing otherwise.

It is a literal adaptation. If you don't agree, once the whole covid thing is over I will travel to N.Y. and we will have to discuss the issue in a very old fashioned duel with swords. The first one who beheads the other one is right. That's how philosophy works, right? :ROFLMAO:

(Think about it, it would be somehow cool for most people to watch the news and see a journalist trying to explain that there is a beheaded woman -I am assuming that I will win. Are you good with swords?- in New York and that such thing happened after a discussion about the literary influences that a song of Morrissey has!).

Other than that:
As merry as the days were long
I was right and you were wrong

It is a literal adaptation. If you don't agree, once the whole covid thing is over I will travel to N.Y. and we will have to discuss the issue in a very old fashioned duel with swords. The first one who beheads the other one is right. That's how philosophy works, right? :ROFLMAO:

(Think about it, it would be somehow cool for most people to watch the news and see a journalist trying to explain that there is a beheaded woman -I am assuming that I will win. Are you good with swords?- in New York and that such thing happened after a discussion about the literary influences that a song of Morrissey has!).

Other than that:
As merry as the days were long
I was right and you were wrong
I wouldn't be so confident of victory, I imagine Ket to be a real Joan of Arc with the broadsword. 🤺 Can you document the fight please?
Also, since it might still be a while until the dreaded C goes away, can you discuss it the old-(new?)-fashioned way on here maybe?

Odd little article.
"Morrissey's career is dissected by Noel Gallagher, Johnny Marr and Bono in the documentary "The Importance Of Being"."

(Johnny Marr doesn't appear in the doc. The article links to an old YouTube upload.)

I wouldn't be so confident of victory, I imagine Ket to be a real Joan of Arc with the broadsword. 🤺 Can you document the fight please?
Also, since it might still be a while until the dreaded C goes away, can you discuss it the old-(new?)-fashioned way on here maybe?

It would not arrive to Fox News.... and we'd rather be famous than right or alive.

Wasn't bothered with this when first seeing it, as it was mentioned back in July '20.
Appearing again now via The Sun.

Last week:
Indian takeaway finds internet fame for its Smiths-themed menu.

This week:
tp-composite-this-charming-naan.jpg

THIS CHARMING NAAN
Music nut opens The Smiths-theme curry house with dishes named after songs

Last July:

There are lots of old threads about this, so won't bump just one - instead, will leave it here:

Screenshot_20210114-120659~2.png

The very long in the making Shoplifters Of The World movie by Stephen Kijack appears to now be video on demand due for March 26 (with possibly a cinematic release in some areas).

"All the movies you'll want to stream in 2021 (including 'The Woman in the Window')"

Regards,
FWD.

Tags
burlesque coronation street live morrissey new album poster sport strips the smiths
Back
Top Bottom