Stephen Street talks Hackney, Morrissey and guitar music’s ‘last hurrah' - The Hackney Gazette

The Smiths and Blur producer Stephen Street talks Hackney, Morrissey and guitar music’s ‘last hurrah’ - The Hackney Gazette.
By Sam Gelder.

Excerpt:
"He hasn’t spoken to Morrissey for “four or five years”, since they met-up during the re-mastering of Viva Hate. Street was surprised to see him endorsing Brexit and Nigel Farage in recent interviews.

“I must admit I’m a little bit shocked by some of the things he’s said,” Street continued. “It could be for shock value – he did like a headline or two. It could be down to the fact he doesn’t spend much time in this country and he’s a bit out of touch with the general feeling."

Street discusses aspects of working with The Smiths & Blur.
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, fair enough. It's just so fortuitous that Street, someone Morrissey had familiarity and (presumably) comfortability with, had music ready to go.

So Street the whole time was writing songs with the intention to have M sing on them, and was just waiting for Marr to step out of the picture? maybe.

So Street the whole time was writing songs with the intention to have M sing on them, and was just waiting for Marr to step out of the picture? maybe.

No, I don't think he was scheming like that - he was just writing songs to somehow use in some way and suddenly there's Morrissey and no-Marr. In fact, initially, I believe Street thought Morrissey might be interested to use some as future b-sides. I just meant that it was fortunate (for all) that someone Morrissey already knew and trusted had music ready to go and they could hit the ground running.

Last edited:
No, I don't think he was scheming like that - he was just writing songs to somehow and suddenly there's Morrissey and no-Marr. In fact, initially, I believe Street thought Morrissey might be interested to use some as b-sides in the future. I just meant that it was fortunate (for all) that someone Morrissey already knew and trusted had music ready to go and they could hit the ground running.

'I just meant that it was fortunate (for all) that someone Morrissey already knew and trusted had music ready to go and they could hit the ground running'

o.k. yes, I agree, very fortunate, especially because M felt comfortable with him, because without Street being there and ready with songs, who knows how long it would have been before M found the right person to work with again. Somethings were just meant to happen.

Regardless of the referendum result, anyone who supports Brexit is an idiot.

"he’s a bit out of touch with the general feeling" could've sworn it was a majority vote?

The majority don't like Farage. You didn't address that? Why?

Besides, if you mean Brexit - and you're so boring you probably do, ignoring the rest of Street's statement - the majority was slimmer than Marr in his cocaine days.

Morrissey isn't always popular, but it's always been thus. There have always been squares not understanding or caring to understand.

I don't like some of his statements, but then I don't have to. He's a musician, not a politician.

haven't read the article, but I thought Street was working at a record studio, developed his skills already, but with TQID he was around, and indeed Morrissey and Street didn't work on eachothers nerves, that's the most interesting point ,Street hang around the Smiths, and after the Split, think Street was the perfect person, [after trying to get on with Ivor Perry] to do Morrissey's album, we had discussions already about
Vini Reilly's input , with Viva Hate , Morrissey's first solo album, and nmbr 1 in the charts, Street's name and fame was also there.

Sadly the both got on eachothers nerves and parted, plus Street got great offers. I just wanted to write the musichistory, not the trash we know has been posted, but wanted to add Vini Reilly as important at that time on the album.

Viva Hate , an album that can stand the almost 30 years.

I rather like Treat Me Like A Human Being. I can easily imagine a finished version turning up as a Suedehead or Everyday Is Like Sunday b-side.

Mozpedia reckons it was from 1987, so it's clearly relevant to Viva Hate, although I'm sick of the tinkering with these albums.

haven't read the article, but I thought Street was working at a record studio, developed his skills already, but with TQID he was around, and indeed Morrissey and Street didn't work on eachothers nerves, that's the most interesting point ,Street hang around the Smiths, and after the Split, think Street was the perfect person, [after trying to get on with Ivor Perry] to do Morrissey's album, we had discussions already about
Vini Reilly's input , with Viva Hate , Morrissey's first solo album, and nmbr 1 in the charts, Street's name and fame was also there.

Sadly the both got on eachothers nerves and parted, plus Street got great offers. I just wanted to write the musichistory, not the trash we know has been posted, but wanted to add Vini Reilly as important at that time on the album.

For sure VH has stood the test of time certainly more than subsequent albums. I'm sure the getting on each other's nerves part is true also, but the way Street tells it, he was due money that was not paid. So, of course, once someone's in a monetary dispute with Morrissey ... that's the nail in their coffin. It's unfortunate because things ended way too prematurely, IMHO. At the same time, I think what Morrissey really wanted/needed were writing partner(s) who could also tour the music since he was about to launch major solo tours. Is that a role Street could have filled?

I think what Morrissey really wanted/needed were writing partner(s) who could also tour the music since he was about to launch major solo tours. Is that a role Street could have filled?

I think Morrissey was extremely lucky with forming a band to tour Kill Uncle, and had Boz and Alain in it , they wrote both great songs, but also 'filler'songs. Think they learned a lot in a short time making the album Your Arsenal with Mick Ronson

Personally I think some change in producers can make an album better, as I still like Morrissey's last studio album, but it would be great if Street and Morrissey would work on an album, seems it's not likely in short time, find first a good record deal, and with Street it would be more interesting for companies to sign them for at least 1 album

It would be very difficult to imagine 'Viva Hate' without Vini Reilly's input, actually I'd rather not.

I think Morrissey was extremely lucky with forming a band to tour Kill Uncle, and had Boz and Alain in it , they wrote both great songs, but also 'filler'songs. Think they learned a lot in a short time making the album Your Arsenal with Mick Ronson

Personally I think some change in producers can make an album better, as I still like Morrissey's last studio album, but it would be great if Street and Morrissey would work on an album, seems it's not likely in short time, find first a good record deal, and with Street it would be more interesting for companies to sign them for at least 1 album

I'd love to see Street come in as a producer and possibly even contribute a few tracks. Perhaps it's slightly more likely than a Marr reunion. I'm guessing if Morrissey was at all thinking that way it would have happened already. Wonder if Street would be interested if Morrissey was game?

For sure VH has stood the test of time certainly more than subsequent albums. I'm sure the getting on each other's nerves part is true also, but the way Street tells it, he was due money that was not paid. So, of course, once someone's in a monetary dispute with Morrissey ... that's the nail in their coffin. It's unfortunate because things ended way too prematurely, IMHO. At the same time, I think what Morrissey really wanted/needed were writing partner(s) who could also tour the music since he was about to launch major solo tours. Is that a role Street could have filled?

Street wanted to play at the Wolverhampton show, and Moz wasn't having it. Street did however play on an ill-fated Morrissey Peel Session that's gotten wiped from history.

Street wanted to play at the Wolverhampton show, and Moz wasn't having it.

Where have you got this info from. Morrissey's original idea for Wolverhampton was that it would be a Smiths reunion, so it's probably unlikely that the idea of Street playing would have ever come up.

Where have you got this info from. Morrissey's original idea for Wolverhampton was that it would be a Smiths reunion, so it's probably unlikely that the idea of Street playing would have ever come up.

My understanding is that it was a both a farewell Smiths show and a launch of his solo career (in a live setting - VH was already out). He played Smiths songs that were never played live and solo songs.

Has Street played live or is he mainly a studio guy? I'm asking honestly, I don't know the answer.

Last edited:
Street wanted to play at the Wolverhampton show, and Moz wasn't having it. Street did however play on an ill-fated Morrissey Peel Session that's gotten wiped from history.

Wow. so it was broadcasted? I'd love to hear more info on this.

My recollection of the build up to the WCH gig differs from the Passions description & other sources.
Radio played a big part of it and the 'advert' for the gig mentioned nothing about The Smiths - the 'jobbing Smiths' were already doing the Sinead O'connor thing and a solo album and 2 singles with a wealth of B sides were being enjoyed. That was a 9 month period prior to the gig at WCH. Marr was on TV trying to look cool with Bryan Ferry in late '87 and was very, very distanced by '88.
The Smiths link to the gig was the clothing - I don't recall there being a wealth of solo Moz clothing being released from March to December - so wearing a Smith's shirt made perfect sense.
I can understand the idea that it was some form of 'goodbye' to The Smiths, but I never picked up on it. Moz was the focus, the feverish excitement was for him and not the musicians. No real reference was ever made to them was there?
Moz-tinted glasses maybe, but the intensity of that gig almost (just almost) beat any Smiths gig I went to.
Regards,
FWD.

Oh, as for Street - he obviously has a fondness for his work with Moz - his tweets about the bass line he created being played by the band live in 2015 shows something more than a fleeting bit of work.

From the horse's mouth. Around 3:30.
[youtube]

Wow. so it was broadcasted? I'd love to hear more info on this.

It wasn't broadcasted and hasn't been shared widely, if at all. There are a few threads about it on this forum - I believe someone mentioned knowing that the session had been wiped from the BBC? Morrissey wasn't happy with it apparently.

From the horse's mouth. Around 3:30.
[youtube]

It wasn't broadcasted and hasn't been shared widely, if at all. There are a few threads about it on this forum - I believe someone mentioned knowing that the session had been wiped from the BBC? Morrissey wasn't happy with it apparently.

Thanks for sharing this. It raises a lot of questions. I can see Mike and Andy coming in and thinking 'Smiths Reunion' ... but does that mean they thought Johnny would be onboard? If not, then who would be lead guitar? Sure Craig Gannon could be part of it (as he was at the Wolverhampton gig) - but he never wrote any songs with Morrissey - so then what?

Street is totally correct that they were getting better as a partnership and could've done another album together.

Last edited:
My recollection of the build up to the WCH gig differs from the Passions description & other sources.
Radio played a big part of it and the 'advert' for the gig mentioned nothing about The Smiths - the 'jobbing Smiths' were already doing the Sinead O'connor thing and a solo album and 2 singles with a wealth of B sides were being enjoyed. That was a 9 month period prior to the gig at WCH. Marr was on TV trying to look cool with Bryan Ferry in late '87 and was very, very distanced by '88.
The Smiths link to the gig was the clothing - I don't recall there being a wealth of solo Moz clothing being released from March to December - so wearing a Smith's shirt made perfect sense.
I can understand the idea that it was some form of 'goodbye' to The Smiths, but I never picked up on it. Moz was the focus, the feverish excitement was for him and not the musicians. No real reference was ever made to them was there?
Moz-tinted glasses maybe, but the intensity of that gig almost (just almost) beat any Smiths gig I went to.
Regards,
FWD.

Oh, as for Street - he obviously has a fondness for his work with Moz - his tweets about the bass line he created being played by the band live in 2015 shows something more than a fleeting bit of work.

'but the intensity of that gig almost (just almost) beat any Smiths gig I went to.'

Wowzers! you were at that show!? :bow::bow::bow::thumb:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom