Stephen Street talks Hackney, Morrissey and guitar music’s ‘last hurrah' - The Hackney Gazette

The Smiths and Blur producer Stephen Street talks Hackney, Morrissey and guitar music’s ‘last hurrah’ - The Hackney Gazette.
By Sam Gelder.

Excerpt:
"He hasn’t spoken to Morrissey for “four or five years”, since they met-up during the re-mastering of Viva Hate. Street was surprised to see him endorsing Brexit and Nigel Farage in recent interviews.

“I must admit I’m a little bit shocked by some of the things he’s said,” Street continued. “It could be for shock value – he did like a headline or two. It could be down to the fact he doesn’t spend much time in this country and he’s a bit out of touch with the general feeling."

Street discusses aspects of working with The Smiths & Blur.
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited by a moderator:
'but the intensity of that gig almost (just almost) beat any Smiths gig I went to.'

Wowzers! you were at that show!? :bow::bow::bow::thumb:
I think I've bored enough people with that story in the past here, but yes indeed. Myself and another gentleman on this forum made the trek from Oxford to Wolverhampton and it was...well, I'm sure you get it.
Moz hadn't been seen properly for what seemed to be forever and the reaction to him on stage was truly manic. I just can't recollect The Smiths part of the gig's story myself - not sure if that's memory going or it just wasn't the main feature of the day for most attending (and the few thousand who didn't get in - poor sods).
Regards,
FWD.

I think I've bored enough people with that story in the past here, but yes indeed. Myself and another gentleman on this forum made the trek from Oxford to Wolverhampton and it was...well, I'm sure you get it.
Moz hadn't been seen properly for what seemed to be forever and the reaction to him on stage was truly manic. I just can't recollect The Smiths part of the gig's story myself - not sure if that's memory going or it just wasn't the main feature of the day for most attending (and the few thousand who didn't get in - poor sods).
Regards,
FWD.
What an experience ! :thumb:

Call me strange, but if I was given the choice between seeing a Smiths gig and being at that first Morrissey show, I would pick that Morrissey show. Were you up front ?

Regards,
FWD.

Or maybe it was just the reaction from eating flowers.

What an experience ! :thumb:

Call me strange, but if I was given the choice between seeing a Smiths gig and being at that first Morrissey show, I would epick that Morrissey show. Were you up front ?
Started off up in the balcony and then found Chris who was holding up the walkman pro microphone to record it down in the throng. I've been in many crowd surges, but this one definitely was sustained for the whole gig. I'd love Tim's full footage of the pre-gig stuff to surface one day. *sigh* those were the days.
Regards,
FWD.

Started off up in the balcony and then found Chris who was holding up the walkman pro microphone to record it down in the throng. I've been in many crowd surges, but this one definitely was sustained for the whole gig. I'd love Tim's full footage of the pre-gig stuff to surface one day. *sigh* those were the days.
Regards,
FWD.

cool! Was Chris's recording the one we all know? My bootleg record is titled 'Untitled'. Yes, them must have been the days ! So lucky ! :thumb:

cool! Was Chris's recording the one we all know? My bootleg record is titled 'Untitled'. Yes, them must have been the days ! So lucky ! :thumb:
Well, umm.. I kind of gave a copy of the master tape to a well known record store run by Bruce Springsteen fans (those who know - know) and it was pressed to vinyl. It's a very long story, but yes. If anyone has live Smith's cassettes with letraset on or photocopied - that was my own work which took ages too.
As for Smiths or WCH - that's tough - Sophie's choice perhaps. I've been vocal before about the poor sound issues at some Smith's gigs and I don't remember things as rose-like as some. The Moz gig was more crazed and was the physical confirmation that he was going to survive the break up and move on. That, perhaps, is what made it so special, but a full Smith's set.. Gloucester Leisure Centre '84 was a sublime gig - hearing Jeane & Please... from feet away...
Well, that's how life long fans are made.
Regards,
FWD.

Back
Top Bottom