Stephen Street says he would still work with Morrissey

Damon, tell 'em, I will not comment. Fix a new date with Joe.

I think Morrissey would start writing with Nick Kent before he
he would write with Street again.

Quite poor of the NME to get the information wrong about their split. Songwriting credits was never an issue between Morrissey and Stephen Street, as far as I know, and one look at the sleeve for Viva Hate should have been enough to tell them that.

Quite poor of the NME to get the information wrong about their split. Songwriting credits was never an issue between Morrissey and Stephen Street, as far as I know, and one look at the sleeve for Viva Hate should have been enough to tell them that.

It was about the $$$$ per usual.

That topic was covered in one of the recent snippets of news here on the main over the last few months. Perhaps FWD recollects the example?

Part of me says no but part of me says why not before it’s all to late. I guess he’d decide based on how he feels but the fan in me dreams of what it would be like. I’m not a giant viva hate fanatic as it’s to dated in some ways for me to absorb properly but I like a lot of the songs. If they did write together I dont think it would be in the direction viva hate took. What direction do you think it would go in? Would joe still produce because he’s done a great job 3 of the last four albums

It was about the $$$$ per usual.
It’s a tricky one but I imagine there was not a 50/50 split initially between royalties and after the success of the first few Morrissey solo singles Mr. Street wanted a bigger share. I can see both sides but Morrissey does seem to veer towards meanness. I think Streety would have made a lot of money from his Morrissey collaborations but not as much as he could have. I have always wondered what the split is with current collaborators?

It’s a tricky one but I imagine there was not a 50/50 split initially between royalties and after the success of the first few Morrissey solo singles Mr. Street wanted a bigger share. I can see both sides but Morrissey does seem to veer towards meanness. I think Streety would have made a lot of money from his Morrissey collaborations but not as much as he could have. I have always wondered what the split is with current collaborators?
As I understand it, the argument was over 'points', which are percentage points of the album's revenue. It's normal for album producers to be paid like this. With The Smiths, Street was on one percent. When he became Morrissey's producer, arranger, and musician, he asked for that to be raised to three or four points, which is more in line for what a producer of a major artist would normally receive. This was too much for the parsimonious Morrissey and is what led to the split.
As far as a I know, the songwriting royalties would have been split 50/50 as that is the normal way of doing things.

I think Morrissey would start writing with Nick Kent before he
he would write with Street again.
Great Post! I love your gentle humour. This is so true why on earth would Morrissey work with Stephen Street again? Stephen Street totally betrayed Morrissey and let him down. I think Stephen Street is looking to make more money and publicity out of Morrissey.

Great Post! I love your gentle humour. This is so true why on earth would Morrissey work with Stephen Street again? Stephen Street totally betrayed Morrissey and let him down. I think Stephen Street is looking to make more money and publicity out of Morrissey.

I find it amazing to see the spectrum of varying interpretations of this relationship.

Honestly, Stephen Street's had a really successful career, producing many bands. He doesn't need anything from Morrissey, he just said he'd work with him again.

Street has had artistic success, which in my book is far more important than
having a successful career.

You don’t really need talent to have a successful career.

But his co-writing with Morrissey? well, I hope Street will look back on that as the real shining gem in
his career in the music industry as mostly a producer.

And that he isn’t mentioned and questioned more about is collaboration with Morrissey and how he wrote those songs is to me criminal.

🤒
this pseudo lawnmower, I must say, is VERY annoying. All these lawnmowers are, in point of fact:straightface:
they all hate on Moz but none seem to get enough him. Its Moz this Moz that 24/7:blushing:
this one is always about something, hes upset that Moz took off a particular song from Moz album.
Everybody wants to make decisions and give Moz advice. Its bizarre. They hate Moz dis him and then expect to be given creative control over every aspect of his life.:crazy:

:eek:>>>>>all the while HAVING NO JOB:mad:

why doesnt he go produce that suco Hooky Joy Division cover band?:lbf:
hes not going to be fingering any more of Moz money thats for sure.:)

🤒
this pseudo lawnmower, I must say, is VERY annoying. All these lawnmowers are, in point of fact:straightface:
Morrissey should get rid of all the lawnmowers, including the ones he currently surrounds himself with. The next album should have no band, no music, no producers - just Morrissey singing alone in an empty studio.

Back
Top Bottom