Songs you never want to hear live again

The problem with "Paris" is just that the lyrics and message are boring. If he had written a few more interesting lines then it could have ended up as one of his better late-era songs.

The problem with "Paris" is just that the lyrics and message are boring. If he had written a few more interesting lines then it could have ended up as one of his better late-era songs.
It always makes me think of Eurovision songs to be honest. Just like Kiss Me A Lot.
Naff lyrics but great melodies.

It always makes me think of Eurovision songs to be honest. Just like Kiss Me A Lot.
Naff lyrics but great melodies.
Paris is his last top 30 UK hit single at no.21 so may be a factor. His last top 75 UK hit single was Spent The Day In Bed which peaked ironically at no.69...wahey 😄

Paris is his last top 30 UK hit single at no.21 so may be a factor. His last top 75 UK hit single was Spent The Day In Bed which peaked ironically at no.69...wahey 😄

But does anybody buy singles any more? And do the public still give a toss about the charts? I genuinely don't know, I'm so out of touch. But what does it even mean to be at No.1 now?

Some songs still give me a thrill, no matter how many times I've heard Moz perform them live (eg: First of the Gang). Others have been so overplayed they now bore me to tears, and I could happily go the rest of my life without hearing again. Here's my list - what would be yours?:

• How Soon is Now
  • World Peace is None of Your Business
  • Meat is Murder
  • Everyday is Like Sunday
  • I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris
  • The Bullfighter Dies
Too lazy to make my own list - so I'll use yours. I'll exclude exclude Everyday and Bullfighter from the list and add Suedehead.

Well, right now hearing any song live would be nice.

But to answer the question: Basically half of World Peace has been played to death and the whole album should be given a rest (except the songs from the bonus disc that have never even been played). About People Are The Same Everywhere we should pretend that it never happened -- and it never really did, because the "promised" studio recording never surfaced -- and dump it.

But does anybody buy singles any more? And do the public still give a toss about the charts? I genuinely don't know, I'm so out of touch. But what does it even mean to be at No.1 now?
It's downloads mainly I think that are making up the Singles Chart now which has really become a Dance Chart and any other genre of music is getting held back because thousands of kids download dancey music. There is a place for a 'REAL' music chart now which would feature bands and artists like Morrissey who would then feel it was worthwhile releasing old school singles and b-sides again. Moz would love a no.1 single when put up against the challenge from his contemporaries and not DJ Silly Boi featuring Kermit the Frog on backing vocals🐸

It is interesting about downloads and streams as so many people especially with dance music just leave it on in the background letting it rack up plays while possibly not having any real significance to them

I love Action Is My Middle Name, how it was written at the same time as the other two is beyond me, because they are indeed pretty bad.

I've always wondered just how "fresh" some of the songs are when they finally get recorded and released. For instance, Boz had one co-write during the Ringleader sessions with "Christian Dior." I'm sure he submitted more than just one demo to Morrissey, right? And considering how he re-emerged on YOR, for example, some of the Refusal tunes could have been demos/ideas from a few years prior. I don't know much about the songwriting process between Morrissey and the gang, but perhaps someone who really knows their stuff (Jamie?) might be able to explain a bit better.

FWIW, "Action..." has always sounded like a Quarry era song to me.

Back
Top Bottom