Shoplifters Of The World - Official trailer

ShopliftersYouTubeDescription.jpg

Update:
February 5, 2021.
The trailer now features on Morrissey Central:
"NOW TODAY TOMORROW AND ALWAYS"

I dont have time or energy to read the 7 pages of unrelated crap in this thread on this horrific hell site, but i am looking forward to the film in the OP as it looks fun and interesting. Kind regards,

VOD pre-order should you use Apple:

I look forward to seeing this. Like @GirlAfraidWillNeverLearn said, harmless lightweight fun. And with the best possible soundtrack at that! Does it have a release date?

I actually thought it would drag on and on until about October!!

Well, it's been about a decade in the making, that's enough dragging on if you ask me!

No Twisted Sister-song then? How unfortunate :cool:.

Well, the tweet quoted by FWD in post #140 says that Bark At The Moon is in it, so never say never?

The trailer is cringe. Let’s hope the film is better. Though to be honest, I
probably will pass on this kind of film.

Anyway, I have a sneaking suspicion that this was not how it really went down.

And in spite of the haters and those that don’t understand Morrissey, as long as there are humans on this planet to be touched, Morrissey’s art will be doing the touching, long after we’re all dead.

Viva Moz !!!

:cool:

@Tera
Downvoting is such a weak move, instead you should try replying with an intelligent criticism, if you’re capable.

Some promo artwork (I assume)

In this podcast interview with producer/actor Joe Manganiello, he says Morrissey & Marr looked at the script before approving the usage of the Smiths songs.

Joe Manganiello proud of The Smiths 'coup' for new film.

"The True Blood hunk took on double duty as star and co-producer - alongside brother Nick - of new film Shoplifters of the World Unite, in which he plays real-life DJ Full Metal Mickey, who is taken hostage at a radio station and forced to play the British band's music non-stop.
"We have 20 Smiths songs, most of which have never been used in film or TV - which is a coup," Joe raved on Live with Kelly and Ryan.

And he's stoked that he and his brother managed to secure the rights for the songs, including the title track, for director Stephen Kijak's movie, based on a 1990s Details magazine article.

"Stephen had some inroads to (former The Smiths frontman) Morrissey's camp, so he went that way and then we had to go and pitch (guitarist) Johnny Marr's camp and send them the script. Johnny and Morrissey had to agree and they did, and then we got the music," he shared."

https://www.film-news.co.uk/news/UK/84727/Joe-Manganiello-proud-of-The-Smiths-coup-for-new-film

FWD.

Joe Manganiello proud of The Smiths 'coup' for new film.

"The True Blood hunk took on double duty as star and co-producer - alongside brother Nick - of new film Shoplifters of the World Unite, in which he plays real-life DJ Full Metal Mickey, who is taken hostage at a radio station and forced to play the British band's music non-stop.
"We have 20 Smiths songs, most of which have never been used in film or TV - which is a coup," Joe raved on Live with Kelly and Ryan.

And he's stoked that he and his brother managed to secure the rights for the songs, including the title track, for director Stephen Kijak's movie, based on a 1990s Details magazine article.

"Stephen had some inroads to (former The Smiths frontman) Morrissey's camp, so he went that way and then we had to go and pitch (guitarist) Johnny Marr's camp and send them the script. Johnny and Morrissey had to agree and they did, and then we got the music," he shared."

https://www.film-news.co.uk/news/UK/84727/Joe-Manganiello-proud-of-The-Smiths-coup-for-new-film

FWD.
The tension gathers pace....
There must be a lot of truth that this actually happened for M and M to give their consent ..

Veteran filmmaker and fan of The Smiths Stephen Kijak talks about new movie ‘Shoplifters of the World’

https://www.cleveland.com/entertain...about-new-movie-shoplifters-of-the-world.html

By John Benson, special to cleveland.com

Excerpts from the interview:

"What role did The Smiths play in your life?

I discovered them as an impulse buy at the record store at the mall. I just thought the album cover looked cool. That’s a thing people don’t do anymore. I was like, that looks good, I’m going buy that thing and hope the music inside is good. The Smiths became our everything. The lyrics, style, music -- things opened up. It was a whole new world and very different from some of the stuff that was around at the time. It was the defining soundtrack for our tribe.

Finally, any word from Morrissey, who can be prickly at times, about the film?

No. I don’t know if they’ve seen it. We really haven’t gotten any direct “I’ve seen the movie and I want to kill you” messages yet. Really, I don’t want to know what he thinks. I don’t want to meet him. I don’t care. The movie is done, I’m moving on. I just kind of want to remain baked into my nostalgia. I don’t want a Smiths reunion. I hope that never happens. The present-day of them and all of that is too fraught and painful to deal with so, yeah, let’s just leave it in the ’80s.

“Shoplifters of the World,” ... can currently be viewed through the Cleveland Institute of Art’s Cinematheque virtual screening room.

Exclusive Interview: Shoplifters of the World filmmaker Stephen Kijak “growing up queer in the 80s I was that little Morrissey wannabe wearing thrift store clothes & trying to figure out my sexuality”

By James Kleinmann, March 25, 2021

Excerpts:

I loved how the songs were used and the way the dialogue incorporates some of The Smiths’ lyrics. How did you go about striking the right balance of not overdoing it with the characters quoting the songs?

“Oh, we totally over did it! But that’s kind of what we did ourselves. I have a friend who still emails me with song lyrics, and we can go back and forth for 20 minutes, it’s kind of ridiculous! The lyrics themselves were all pilfered from other sources and that was how The Smiths built their songs. Almost the half of the first album is Shelagh Delaney’s A Taste of Honey. Talent borrows, genius steals, and The Smiths’ songs are all stitched together from references and lines and lyrics from movies and music and plays and literature. So there’s one level where we’re just quoting The Smiths lyrics, but then I decided to go to the sources and steal from them as well, so Billy’s got some lines from Albert Finney in Saturday Night and Sunday Morning, and there’s a little sprinkling of Oscar Wilde in there, and there’s definitely some Shelagh Delaney.”

“There are song lyrics from bands that The Smiths were friends with too. Morrissey’s best friend Linder Sterling had a band called Ludas, so look out for some Ludas lyrics in there. It’s kind of ridiculous. I mean there are so many Easter eggs, and it gets super nerdy super fast, but that was kind of the fun of it, assigning different literary modes to different characters. Morrissey stole a bunch of stuff from Middlemarch for example and so there’s some of that in there, it’s a total patchwork but it’s integrated so really the whole thing becomes this musical meta-fiction. It’s quotes-within-quotes, played straight sometimes but with a theatricality to it. Then of course the songs are very much written into the story. Each of the songs reflects the story and the story reflects the songs. Everything was really stitched together as if we were making a musical, I thought about it in those terms. I grew up with a real musical theatre mom so we had that kind of storytelling as a foundation for our lives in a lot of ways. It’s the musical jukebox method, but I wanted it to be really integrated.”

As it is based on you and your group of friends growing up in the 80s, what kind of vibe did you want to create by putting this great cast together?

“The cast, I swear to God, came together and fell apart at least three times over the course of trying to make this film, but I am really psyched with this current cast, they’re all just fantastic. It took a long time to put them together, but the casting directors, Amber Horn and Danielle Aufiero, did a really brilliant job. Joe Manganiello was attached first, really early on, and stuck by it through thick and thin, then the kids all came together naturally. We thought, wouldn’t be cool if Ellar Coltrane wanted to do this, and lo and behold he wanted to do it. Then Helena Howard showed up at the last minute and she had just appeared in Madeline’s Madeline and reviewers were talking about her like she was the second coming of Gena Rowlands, which is always a good thing in my book. Some of the kids didn’t really know the band, but she was raised by a New Wave mom and her mom’s gay best friend essentially her queer uncle, had followed The Smiths around on tour in England. When he sadly passed away when she was younger he left her some stuff including his Smiths’ tour program for the Meat is Murder tour. She actually brought that to set one day and it was like a holy relic! So there was a deep emotional connection to the story and the music that really comes through, especially for her, but the whole cast is just genius I think; Elena Kampouris, James Bloor, Nick Krause, the whole bunch of them. We were so blessed.”

Tags
shoplifters movie

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom