"Ryan Adams is recording a covers album of Taylor Swift’s 1989 — in the style of The Smiths" - Conse

Link posted by @CayoFive / Twitter:

Ryan Adams is recording a covers album of Taylor Swift’s 1989 — in the style of The Smiths - Consequence Of Sound
"Guaranteed saddest version of 'Welcome to New York' ever - or your tears back."

Excerpt:

Ryan Adams has never been one to stay in his own lane. Over the last year, we’ve seen him produce for Fall Out Boy, record a punk record, and write his own series of comic books, all while keeping up a prolific output as one of Americana’s greatest songwriters. Now, for his next oddball project, he’s covering Taylor Swift’s pop blockbuster 1989 — in the style of The Smiths.

Last edited by a moderator:
The twit on Twitter seems to be wrong; no one here seems to actually care about this Smiths-name-drop (I doubt it'll sound remotely close to the Smiths).

I'm not sure how to feel about this. I heard about Adams from his song about Sylvia Plath, but didn't like it. If anything, the album will sound like Adams, and not The Smiths--even if he quiffed his hair. Maybe Swift will do a cover of Girlfriend In A Coma in the style of Adams in response? Why not Swift cover Kiss Me A Lot?

I'm not sure how to feel about this. I heard about Adams from his song about Sylvia Plath, but didn't like it. If anything, the album will sound like Adams, and not The Smiths--even if he quiffed his hair. Maybe Swift will do a cover of Girlfriend In A Coma in the style of Adams in response? Why not Swift cover Kiss Me A Lot?

:rofl: :rofl:

poor morrissey, poor j. marr - wnen every futile musician can play with their musical heritage today :(

Well if you're going to fill a bowl full of shit you may as well go the whole hog.

I don't know who Ryan Adams is.

surely this should be a personal thing
unless he really feels that
we should hear it

have never heard the lassies album to be fair

The twit on Twitter seems to be wrong; no one here seems to actually care about this Smiths-name-drop (I doubt it'll sound remotely close to the Smiths).

It's more than a name drop; Adams is a huge Morrissey fan. His album Love Is Hell was produced by John Porter because Adams wanted it to have the same gloomy, English suburb feel that Porter gave the first Smiths LP.

He also began his first solo record (post Whiskeytown) with a track debating (with a fellow musician in the studio) whether Suedehead was on Viva Hate and/or Bona Drag.

Adams puts out an album every ten minutes and anybody that prolific is gonna produce a lot of meh but when he's on, he's really on. Give the guy a chance. Love is Hell, Rock and Roll, Cold Roses, and Heartbreaker are all really good records. And he's got a lot of other great one-off songs scattered throughout as well.

It's more than a name drop; Adams is a huge Morrissey fan. His album Love Is Hell was produced by John Porter because Adams wanted it to have the same gloomy, English suburb feel that Porter gave the first Smiths LP.

He also began his first solo record (post Whiskeytown) with a track debating (with a fellow musician in the studio) whether Suedehead was on Viva Hate and/or Bona Drag.

Adams puts out an album every ten minutes and anybody that prolific is gonna produce a lot of meh but when he's on, he's really on. Give the guy a chance. Love is Hell, Rock and Roll, Cold Roses, and Heartbreaker are all really good records. And he's got a lot of other great one-off songs scattered throughout as well.

Yes thank you! I love Ryan Adams. I don't care for Taylor Swift but 2 out of 3 sounds good to me. Really not a name dropper. The guy talks about The Smiths more than most people ever do on twitter. He's hardcore. I respect it. I think the only downside is that he's not aping his majesty's voice.. but I like Ryan's voice too. Would be hilarious though.

Yes thank you! I love Ryan Adams. I don't care for Taylor Swift but 2 out of 3 sounds good to me. Really not a name dropper. The guy talks about The Smiths more than most people ever do on twitter. He's hardcore. I respect it. I think the only downside is that he's not aping his majesty's voice.. but I like Ryan's voice too. Would be hilarious though.

I don't like Taylor Swift either but 1989 is a great, great album.

I think this is an incredibly clever concept. Let's see if he can pull it off, I await with great interest.

Not lucky, just completely out of touch. All of my radios are broken (intentionally or not) and I only watch Golden Girls reruns, true crime documentaries and cartoons on TV, so I miss a lot of what's going on. I wasn't familiar with James Corden until a moment ago either.

I saw him in June in NYC and he was excellent. Here's his set at this year's Glastonbury:

Looking forward to hearing this interesting sounding new project.

i'm more or less anticipating it to sound like the tom petty / replacements stuff he's been doing lately but he did catch a bit of the smiths guitar work on 'anybody wanna take me home'.

i'm more or less anticipating it to sound like the tom petty / replacements stuff he's been doing lately but he did catch a bit of the smiths guitar work on 'anybody wanna take me home'.

did you get the last one he did. replacements in there for sure but some songs and sounds that came straight off the smiths debut. to those above of you are trying to get into adams remember that every album usually comes with a different sound whether its the van morrison/elton john of gold or the tom petty of his debut where he does mention bona drag on record or the gratefu dead of cold roses. (my fav). i think hell do it well though i have zero interest in it. i think him magic in some ways as hes amazingly talented

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom