Morrissey Central RINGLEADER DELUXE ! (July 17, 2020)

Morrissey’s third UK number 1 album ‘Ringleader of the Tormentors’ will be issued this year by BMG for the first time.The album is presently being ‘rebooted’ by producer Tony Visconti and will feature more sections by Ennio Morricone and his orchestra from the 2005 sessions in Rome, plus a photographic booklet.The original album featured four UK hit singles, ‘You Have Killed Me’ (Number 3), ‘The Youngest Was The Most Loved’(Number 14), ‘In The Future When All’s Well’ (Number 17), ‘I Just Want To See The Boy Happy’ (Number 16).

full

Spring-Heeled Jim? Little Man, What Now? Even Tony the Pony.
Love those little character sketches.
Just not The Father Who Must Be Killed. One of his worst.
I said rarely, not never! For me, “Little Man What Now” takes the cake as the greatest success with that style of writing. But by the end of the song, Morrissey shifts the focus and makes it about himself. Same with “Spring-Heeled Jim.” You still get the feeling that those songs are about him.

I hope morrissey and the band can tour the same tour schedule in support of the re-release.

The 2006-07 live shows were for the books, some of the finer sets I’ve ever seen performed in the 30+ shows I have witnessed in my fandom over the years.

Looking at this promo pic reaffirms my dislike of his current hair style....please M, go back to high and tight.

Why? Repackage reissue the tawdry mind of Morrissey.
Loser
lost
failed
failure
exploiter
disgrace.
To bank more money from unhinged obsessed fans.
100% vile.
Oh dear...if you look up there are some clouds in the sky...try shouting at them for a while, it might help.

Perou knew...

View attachment 57762
View attachment 57763View attachment 57764

í would love it if they could stitch or switch "Christian Dior" & "Sweetie-Pie" into a Luxe tracklisting. They are easily the better of some on the original release.

TheIronBridge on twitter has already mocked up some art ~

View attachment 57765

I listened to the whole album + b-sides while preparing dinner (lasagne vegetariane! Had been on the menu for today all week. Coincidence? I don't think so), and to be honest I like most b-sides better than the bulk of album material.
Original songs, that is. The covers aren't great. A Song From Under The Floorboards is probably the worst cover version he's ever done...

I'm not a big fan of re-sequencing and swapping songs but it's probably inevitable and n this case might even improve the record.

Last edited:
On a sidenote... I find the term "reboot" slightly worrying.

I don't know, maybe because it's a term you usually don't use for records. It's normally used for re-starting movie franchises and that often doesn't end well.

On a sidenote... I find the term "reboot" slightly worrying.

í think you should quell your fears. The word itself ~ "rebooted" is in inverted commas ~ is, í reckon, being used as a lightly mocking term to avid the dull old 're-master'.

When í read it, í did consider, based on zero actual evidence, that perhaps Moz had some arched-pinky-level involvement in this particular 'Message', as it brought to mind a certain 70s patina, of Perry boys in bus stations, Terrace Stomps, Etc.

As long as Tony doesn't give it a right good kicking, we should be OK.

Question now is ~ was the lasagne more enjoyable than "Ringleaders..."?
Did it have more cheese or less sauce than "Ringleaders..."? :yum:

í think you should quell your fears. The word itself ~ "rebooted" is in inverted commas ~ is, í reckon, being used as a lightly mocking term to avid the dull old 're-master'.

When í read it, í did consider, based on zero actual evidence, that perhaps Moz had some arched-pinky-level involvement in this particular 'Message', as it brought to mind a certain 70s patina, of Perry boys in bus stations, Terrace Stomps, Etc.

As long as Tony doesn't give it a right good kicking, we should be OK.

Question now is ~ was the lasagne more enjoyable than "Ringleaders..."?
Did it have more cheese or less sauce than "Ringleaders..."? :yum:

The message does feel like maybe it was in part dictated by Moz... something about the word order. And who says "photographic booklet"?
Maybe it's just my imagination running wild. With the last reissues they used "re-design" which was also a weird term and didn't go too well 😅
Maybe they were trying to avoid the old cries of "Re-issue! Re-package! Re-package!" and the perpetual mentions of tacky badges?

Anyway, I like your association and I'm going to try and cling on to that.

The lasagne was definitely less cheesy than most of the album but just like the record it suffered from a lack of real spice. I hope I can fix that in the reboot "Lasagne vegetariane 2.0".

Does anyone know if anything was actually recorded with the originally named album producer Jeff Salzman? Looking at various news reports and articles, it's difficult to tell whether he started recording stuff in September 2005 before being replaced by Visconti, or was never actually there in the first place. Might be interesting if there are some different/early versions of tracks floating about?

What I remember is that Salzman worked on the project for few days , then left. The band (Boz , Alain , Jesse Michael ) proposed to produce themselves but it was a disaster . Then Morrissey asked Visconti to finish (which was not satisfyîng for Tony)

Sounds moderately interesting. But is that all we get some extra photos and Ennio's version of Dear God? They need to take note of what other bands have been doing with reissues; specifically demo's and unreleased tracks. Muse reissue of their first two albums was nicely done. REM has been doing really nice reissues as well. And Radiohead's reissue of OK Computer was amazing. But Morrissey reissues... leave a lot to the imagination.

Some words from Visconti on this album:

“The one and only Morrissey album that I produced. The title alone is fantastic, and I assume that Morrissey is the ringleader who is tormenting us. That album, like "Heroes", was done in a very special place. It was recorded in Rome, and like David, Morrissey brought Rome into the studio. The songs were written about Rome, all of us were doing things in Rome, we'd go out to have dinner together at Italian restaurants, I don't drink, so I wouldn't join Morrissey and the band when they would go to nightclubs, but everyone was completely immersing themselves in the city.

The atmosphere in the studio while making the album was such that what ever you were doing you were constantly reminded that you were in Rome, and a lot of references to Rome got into the lyrics. We even got the great Ennio Morricone to do the strings on Dear God, Please Help Me which was just fantastic. So that was quite an amazing album and I'm also proud that I made it sound retro, which was on purpose, I think Morrissey wanted it to sound like a Tony Visconti production rather than a modern production where everything is loud and in your face, so I recorded that album with sensitivity in mind.

He would just be in ecstasy every day. Every day that he showed up in the studio he would listen to what I had been doing earlier in the day with Boz (Boorer), Jesse (Tobias) and Alain (Whyte), the three guitarists on the album, and he just approved of everything, and I'd heard that he could be a cruel taskmaster. If he didn't like you, you'd be sacked in five seconds. I endured the length of the album, and it's an album that I'm very proud of. Unfortunately, two of the best tracks were released as B-sides. One was Ganglord, I wish Ganglord was on that album, there was also a song called Sweetie-Pie, I got Kristeen Young to sing backing vocals on that, they were two controversial titles that, if they had been included, would have made it a better album. But in all, the whole experience with Ringleader was something that I shall never forget.”

The message does feel like maybe it was in part dictated by Moz... something about the word order. And who says "photographic booklet"?

The lasagne was definitely less cheesy than most of the album but just like the record it suffered from a lack of real spice. I hope I can fix that in the reboot "Lasagne vegetariane 2.0".

í say "photographic booklet" all the time. At least twice a day. It's starting to become a problem.

í prefer "re-booted" to "re-imagining", if we are comparing film analogies. Re-imaginings are the kiss of death.
Let's just hope re-booted isn't just a load of old cobblers.

í had been hunting down those old Perou shots that he shot for "The Observer Music Monthly" in January of 2006. í have memories of Perou uploading dozens of alternate shots from the session on to his then spiffy new website in the months afterwards, and of his blogging about the whole awestruck experience of spending a delightfully simpatico couple of days with M. in a wintered Roma. But í'll be blowed if í can find those shots now. And the website is long since 're-booted'.
í must have hidden them well.
Every shot was fifty shades of stunning.

The Perou shots were commissioned by "OMM " to distract attention from the car-crash cover interview with Morrissey conducted by a wasted Douglas Coupland. They also illustrated the first UK press review of "ROTT", by Paul Morley, who may have been on sweeter chemicals than Coupland ~

Morrissey ROTT OMM Morley.jpg

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2006/feb/19/shopping.morrissey

í say "photographic booklet" all the time. At least twice a day. It's starting to become a problem.

í prefer "re-booted" to "re-imagining", if we are comparing film analogies. Re-imaginings are the kiss of death.
Let's just hope re-booted isn't just a load of old cobblers.

í had been hunting down those old Perou shots that he shot for "The Observer Music Monthly" in January of 2006. í have memories of Perou uploading dozens of alternate shots from the session on to his then spiffy new website in the months afterwards, and of his blogging about the whole awestruck experience of spending a delightfully simpatico couple of days with M. in a wintered Roma. But í'll be blowed if í can find those shots now. And the website is long since 're-booted'.
í must have hidden them well.
Every shot was fifty shades of stunning.

The Perou shots were commissioned by "OMM " to distract attention from the car-crash cover interview with Morrissey conducted by a wasted Douglas Coupland. They also illustrated the first UK press review of "ROTT", by Paul Morley, who may have been on sweeter chemicals than Coupland ~

View attachment 57767

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2006/feb/19/shopping.morrissey

Jesus, that c*** was trying to make amends for something the day he wrote that.

Back
Top Bottom