Revisiting "Your Arsenal" 27 Years On - New Article on Eject Music by Fiona Dodwell

I admit I had a dream once where Mozza had a child with Dodwell and it was born looking like a mini cute Boz Boorer. There's yer random fact of today

Well the problem with this is that it is tainted in having been written by Morrissey's best friend on the payroll. It stinks of diversion from the current controversies. In other words, I wouldn't be surprised if the Genesis of this smoke-blowing was "Hey, Fiona - here's a few quid - go write something to divert and take off the heat for a while. There's a good lass"

I'll tell you what's going on here. Remember when Boris Johnson was interviewed and he said his favourite hobby was making model London Buses? That was a genius stroke. Because now when someone searches for Boris and Bus they'll get that, rather that the £350 million per week lie on the side of the Brexit bus.

I see this as the same effort to get a different result when you search for Fiona Dodwell and Morrissey. They're not stupid. Just paid to do a job.

Is searching for Fiona Rodwell and Morrissey something you do a lot?

I've always considered you a colossal twat, even when you were the self-proclaimed number one Morrissey fan on the entire site, but now I think that you are also a total mentalist.

There is no purpose in reading anything Fiona Dodwell ever writes. She is not a critic, she is a publicist.

However, Your Arsenal is arguably Moz's greatest album, so...

The Kill Uncle tour was probably his most successful to date, so no, he was not dead despite mostly lukewarm critics of Kill Uncle, which was praised by Les Inrockuptibles in France for instance.
Good point. The 1991 tour saved Morrissey's career. The fact that Your Arsenal was killer just solidified his standing. Not resting on his laurels, that 1992 tour was massive and probably his most successful one ever. Then for good measure, he switched things up with the outstanding Vauxhall and I in 1994. Now he was untouchable. A legend.

There is no purpose in reading anything Fiona Dodwell ever writes. She is not a critic, she is a publicist.

However, Your Arsenal is arguably Moz's greatest album, so...
Calling her a publicist is generous. He really needs a publicist badly. She's not it. I'm not sure she exists anyway. Probably another Ann Coates.

Calling her a publicist is generous. He really needs a publicist badly. She's not it. I'm not sure she exists anyway. Probably another Ann Coates.

Yeah, but the writing is too bland to be Morrissey's. She's just one of the "sycophantic slags" that he warned us about.

"YOUR ASS-SENILE" , new article about an old record!

Yeah, but the writing is too bland to be Morrissey's. She's just one of the "sycophantic slags" that he warned us about.

I don't (enough) care either way but to say she's like the ones he "warned us about" isn't quite it.
He got her to write his album liner notes and is one of the few who he'll be interviewed by nowadays. Ive said it before and I believe it's true, I think he's been "stabbed in the back so many many times" that he appreciates public support from the likes of SER and dodwell because he obvs trusts them.
If you can't see why after the media f***tards treatment of him, I'm surprised

Fiona Dodwell, simply a truly dull writer and blindfolded Morrissey fan. She will faithfully follow her master's voice and jump into the oblivion if necessary. Anything to give herself publicity to help selling her low rated horror and paranormal novels.

Only on this "fan site" would people devote time to hating someone for just defending their favourite singer. Y'all are a very strange bunch of fans
Tho it makes sense, I mean most of u hate the singer so you hardly were gonna like anyone trying to support him

Strange place this is at times

I will appreciate Sam and (ex???) Julia and Fiona and anyone who tries to support him because I'm a fan. Drrrrr. Right!!

Well the problem with this is that it is tainted in having been written by Morrissey's best friend on the payroll. It stinks of diversion from the current controversies. In other words, I wouldn't be surprised if the Genesis of this smoke-blowing was "Hey, Fiona - here's a few quid - go write something to divert and take off the heat for a while. There's a good lass"

I'll tell you what's going on here. Remember when Boris Johnson was interviewed and he said his favourite hobby was making model London Buses? That was a genius stroke. Because now when someone searches for Boris and Bus they'll get that, rather that the £350 million per week lie on the side of the Brexit bus.

I see this as the same effort to get a different result when you search for Fiona Dodwell and Morrissey. They're not stupid. Just paid to do a job.

She’s only been positive about him though you cock womble.
Clutching at straws I’m afraid.

Only on this "fan site" would people devote time to hating someone for just defending their favourite singer. Y'all are a very strange bunch of fans
Tho it makes sense, I mean most of u hate the singer so you hardly were gonna like anyone trying to support him

Strange place this is at times

I will appreciate Sam and (ex???) Julia and Fiona and anyone who tries to support him because I'm a fan. Drrrrr. Right!!

Like I said in a previous comment, I, and I imagine some others, don't dislike her because she defends Morrissey, but simply because is an extremely poor writer, who seems to know very little about the actual music, as I illustrated in her complete lack of basic knowledge about the writing, production and history of Your Arsenal. Fiona is simply a yes man who, as far as I can see, isn't particularly interested in the music, but more interested in being a non-critical mouthpiece for Morrissey simply to further her own career. Without the publicity she has gained from her new role as Morrissey's pseudo-ultra-fan she would remain a very, very poor journalist, who can't carry out basic research and a very, very poor horror author.

As for Sam, he does it because he is Morrissey's doting nephew, which we can't blame him for. I expect he has idolised his uncle for his entire life, so I'm not surprised he is defending his uncle at a trying time. However, like Fiona, Sam simply makes Morrissey looks worse than he does so himself. He just serves as an uncritical yes man, while pushing Morrissey to make some poor artistic decisions (those horrid Photoshop hack jobs, horrid record artworks and THAT horrid video for Kiss Me A Lot). Also like Fiona, this has helped raise Sam's profile and put some attention on his frankly dull, amateurish photography.

Morrissey used to be surrounded by wonderful artists and genuinely interesting people. He's alienated himself so much that his best friends are his nephew and a fake, entryist Morrissey fan.

Last edited:
What upset me was that he didn't have the personnel providing the tunes. I think Morrisseys voice needs an electric guitar providing that. His voice was made for that lovely guitar sound. It melded. He needs a player like Johnny to bring out the best in him. He might think he can sing to anything but he needs that guitar sound again. It's what suits him. Simple guitar playing. No overdrive. Lovely luscious chords. It brings out the best in his voice.
Johnny Marr said the musical direction he would've taken had the Smiths not split would have been similar to the sound of 'Unhappy Birthday'. This is quite an acoustic sound along the lines of 'Stretch Out and Wait' or 'Half a Person' with a few electric guitar effects added in the mix for atmospherics and a clear audible bass. That would have been wonderful. And I think it's what Morrissey needs now. A quieter sound with rich flowing chords to emphasize the voice he clearly still has.

Last edited:
Johnny Marr said that the musical direction he would have taken had the Smiths not split would have been similar to the sound of 'Unhappy Birthday'. This is quite an acoustic sound along the lines of 'Stretch Out and Wait' or 'Half a Person' with a few electric guitar effects added for atmospherics and a clear audible bass. That would have been wonderful. And I think it's what Morrissey needs now. A quieter sound to emphasize the voice that he clearly still has.

Absolutely. Much of Morrissey's music just hasn't aged well. Everything between 1988 - 1994 will age wonderfully, as will You Are the Quarry, due to its special place in history in Morrissey's back catalog and the wonderful, full, clean production of the great Jerry Finn. But everything since? Some good songs, some bad, but nothing really standout or classic Morrissey.

Morrissey needs to recapture the beauty and simplicity of The Smiths or his earlier solo work.

Johnny Marr said the musical direction he would've taken had the Smiths not split would have been similar to the sound of 'Unhappy Birthday'. This is quite an acoustic sound along the lines of 'Stretch Out and Wait' or 'Half a Person' with a few electric guitar effects added in the mix for atmospherics and clear audible basslines. That would have been wonderful. And I think it's what Morrissey needs now. A quieter sound with rich flowing chords to emphasize the voice he clearly still has in spades.

I remember reading an interview with him where he said the album after Strangeways... would have been like Scott Walker.

Tags
fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom