Redundancy talk

Maurice E

Well, any other victims of the recession on the board? A few of us at my place are probably getting the boot. I'm sure, in the long run, it'll prove a good thing (we do get a little more than statutory pay) but the process obviously isn't much fun.
Worst for me is that I will get told (either way) on the day of our Christmas party (nice timing!) which I have opted not to attend (mainly as the management team who deal with redundancies will also be there).
Colleagues have had a go at me for not signing up for the Christmas do - I just told them I missed the deadline. They will soon discover the real reason!

Well, any other victims of the recession on the board? A few of us at my place are probably getting the boot. I'm sure, in the long run, it'll prove a good thing (we do get a little more than statutory pay) but the process obviously isn't much fun.
Worst for me is that I will get told (either way) on the day of our Christmas party (nice timing!) which I have opted not to attend (mainly as the management team who deal with redundancies will also be there).
Colleagues have had a go at me for not signing up for the Christmas do - I just told them I missed the deadline. They will soon discover the real reason!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep. I had to quit school because of it.

Yeah, me too.

Useless prats at the top spoilt everything with their arrogance and appallingly incompetent decision-making. :mad:

Oh wow, I'm so sorry. :( Did you have to quit so you can work?

My boyfriend was laid off a couple of times and we were almost evicted. Fortunately he was able to go back to work after a few months, but it's looking like he might get laid off again.

Aye, a few at our place. Bad times.

Peter

Where I work there was 118 of us employed last year now there's 3 left.Me and two others.
The country is in pieces.:mad:

Where I work there was 118 of us employed last year now there's 3 left.Me and two others.
The country is in pieces.:mad:

Indeed it is. Something similar happened to the company my dad worked with, he's been unemployed for a year now.

Yeah, it happened to me in September. In fact, one day before my birthday because that would have meant them paying me a couple hundred pounds more!
It wasn’t nice, and I knew it was pending; I felt like I was treading water for at least six months.
But the week after I got a new job in the same field with a better company and more money so I certainly cannot grumble :)

Hi everyone, I guess the thing to remember is to keep believing in yourself ! All too often, really bright, intelligent people have had to go because of the state of the economy. I know it is hard but try not to beat up on yourself. Stick close to your friends and move forward. It hasn't just happened to you and the tendency is to feel like it has. It is a good thing to talk about it. You are in excellent company because I have seen Presidents, Vice Presidents and CEO's of companies have the same thing happen. Keep your faith and you never know, sometimes it is a good thing. it can lead you to other opportunities... Best wishes to you ...Dancer

hey, me too. it's pretty embarrassing to tell people i dropped out and now work at a gas station because that's pretty much all i can find.

:( I didn't know this happened to you MR. I knew something like that went down but not like that.

I'm sorry to both of you. You're some of my favs. You deserve much better than the crappy luck you've had. I'm pulling for you both!

:( I didn't know this happened to you MR. I knew something like that went down but not like that.

I'm sorry to both of you. You're some of my favs. You deserve much better than the crappy luck you've had. I'm pulling for you both!

I completely agree. :(

They got me after 12 years. I have been doing a little freelance but, I'm still searching for full-time in an in-house art/production department.

Chin up, people. January is traditionally a BIG hiring month. So, keep your eyes and ears open NOW.

I was made redundant in May and was lucky enough to get another (much better) job straight away. Thing is, it turns out my boss is an arsehole and now I think this job might be in jeopardy. Ain't life grand?

Yep - we got put on notice of Redundancy 3 months ago - everyone below me in our area is safe - though some are being redeployed to a different area against their wishes and everyine at my level is being "assessed" to see who will make the cut.

At my level we're being shrunk from 21 to 7

A worried Xmas awaits

Back
Top Bottom