Record Deal: An interesting question ?

H

hazard

Does anyone know why Morrissey is not releasing new material
on Reprise Records ?

For some reason, I find it odd that Morrissey, who has previously
put in a lot of effort with Reprise to advertise his new releases
,My Early Burglary Years etc.. in the USA, has not until this moment in time been signed by them. This seems a little odd to me, but perhaps it is because I am unsound in mind.

Does anyone have any ideas why this is not possible ? Does Morrissey have to sign a deal with labels in both the USA and UK ? Does anyone
think that this is rather odd behaviour on Reprise's part - are Reprise trying to get Morrissey to do work for nothing ?

Merry New Year to you all.

Yes. Morrissey left Reprise Records in 1996, to go with Mercury Records in 1997 for the "Maladjusted" album (I think Mercury has now closed down in the USA to be replaced by Island-Def Jam Records).

I have only seen "My Early Burglary Years" once in an import CD store Rocking Horse here, but didn't buy it (kicking myself now).

As to Morrissey signing deals with different labels, some artists do that on the account of just because you're with, say, Parlophone Records in the U.K., it doesn't mean to say that Capitol in America is prepared to give you the same treatment over there.

Abba did that in the 70's the world over, and such a deal worked in their favour. But you'd need some special clout and bargaining power to make a deal like this work.

> Does anyone know why Morrissey is not releasing new material
> on Reprise Records ?

Yes, they haven't (along with any of the other major labels) offered anything of interest to him- esp. at this stage in his career. Doesn't anyone read the tidbits of news and interviews offered on this page? He's been saying the same things since about 1997.

Ta!

> Does anyone know why Morrissey is not releasing new material
> on Reprise Records ?

He knows that Britney rules the charts now.

His day has passed.

yeah but its not like he has ever had much "chart success" here in the US previously. He could still put out a good record and sell a 100,000 copies and follow it with a successful tour. There is money to be made yet.

> He knows that Britney rules the charts now.

> His day has passed.

Thanks for your comments on this. Yes, I am aware of what has been said on this board. What I cannot understand is that Morrissey has taken time and trouble to promote a number of his /latest/ releases, maladjusted, oye esteban DVD, along with some stuff late one night with howie clien at reprise and I just wonder why he has not got 'interesting' offers from Reprise - after all, they also have a large number of artists on the label who are not chart based, and are geared up to album only sales.

I wonder exactly how "interesting" offers have to be. I mean, it seems that record companies must want him to work for a pittance. After all, this is Morrissey's job - it is not something that he is doing for nothing. He needs to earn a living like the rest of us.

I can understand some record labels work in a market segment which is demand led by young bands - singles chart hits along with the
concept of the girl band/boy band - also the britney/westlife/steps situation - However, Morrissey's last US tour probably broke many sales records, as well as receiving critical acclaim from everyone - not just from his entourage either. This tour perhaps included more USA cities than almost any other tour during years 1999 and 2000. Only Lou Reed came close this year, Steps the year before.

> yeah but its not like he has ever had much "chart
> success" here in the US previously. He could still put out
> a good record and sell a 100,000 copies and follow it with a
> successful tour. There is money to be made yet.

> He knows that Britney rules the charts now.

> His day has passed.

~How depressing it is that people find it necessary to listen to Britney Spears' records~ - The GlamGod

What has Britney got to do with him anyway? She'll just become the next Wallace Simpson, believe me.

GG

> ~How depressing it is that people find it necessary to listen to
> Britney Spears' records~ - The GlamGod

> What has Britney got to do with him anyway? She'll just become
> the next Wallace Simpson, believe me.

> GG

Don't you mean Homer Simpson?

That sexy flat stomach she's got won't last for ever.

> Don't you mean Homer Simpson?

> That sexy flat stomach she's got won't last for ever.

No, indeed. If she becomes a fatty, Steve'll be the one for her.

Then she'd just say to her prospective one "William, it was really nothing".

I'm waiting for that to happen.

The GlamGod

> No, indeed. If she becomes a fatty, Steve'll be the one for her.

> Then she'd just say to her prospective one "William, it was
> really nothing".

> I'm waiting for that to happen.

> The GlamGod

and there was me saying you weren't funny.

I think a fat Britney Smears would look very nice on Steven's arm.

oooh baby baby.

He could sing softly to himself in the bath "how can I stay with a fat girl who says hit me baby one more time"

Back
Top Bottom