Radiohead does "How Soon is Now"

Last edited by a moderator:
More like Thom Yorke does one line from HSIN. What a tease! Do the whole bloody song! I hate most smiths/moz covers but that one Radiohead did of The Headmaster Ritual was fantastic!

More like Thom Yorke does one line from HSIN. What a tease! Do the whole bloody song! I hate most smiths/moz covers but that one Radiohead did of The Headmaster Ritual was fantastic!
The audience was certainly primed for more, singing along and all.

Thom's voice works so well with Smiths songs. I say they should do an entire album of Smiths covers! hehe

Or they could do an album together and perform live on stage!
I bet Johnny Marr would work well with Thom Yorke! :cool: :)
Cheers

Yeah I watched straight after! Love the video too.

They did a great job. I can never make it through most covers, but their musicianship is aces, and Thom's scatting parts hit the mark. Still...there is always the comparison to the original especially when it comes to the emotions behind the lyrics. The gravitas Moz brings to his lyrics is impossible to match. Hearing others attempt these songs only serves to consistently reinforce my opinion.

They did a great job. I can never make it through most covers, but their musicianship is aces, and Thom's scatting parts hit the mark. Still...there is always the comparison to the original especially when it comes to the emotions behind the lyrics. The gravitas Moz brings to his lyrics is impossible to match. Hearing others attempt these songs only serves to consistently reinforce my opinion.

Yeah i agree about the gravitas bit. He brings something to the songs that's just explicitly him and almost impossible mimic. A confidence and weighty sincerity. I feel the same when I hear people try and do a decent cover of a nirvana song or when someone tries to cover anarchy in the u.k. It just never works completely

Yeah i agree about the gravitas bit. He brings something to the songs that's just explicitly him and almost impossible mimic. A confidence and weighty sincerity. I feel the same when I hear people try and do a decent cover of a nirvana song or when someone tries to cover anarchy in the u.k. It just never works completely

Interesting you bring up Nirvana. Their MTV unplugged was incredible. I really loved their cover of Jesus Doesn't Want Me For a Sunbeam. Having never heard The Vaselines original makes it easy to say how great it is, but I am sure that Vaselines fans might feel otherwise. This would be an interesting off-topic thread to have discussions where originals are compared to a specific cover version. Would a cover ever out do the original?

Interesting you bring up Nirvana. Their MTV unplugged was incredible. I really loved their cover of Jesus Doesn't Want Me For a Sunbeam. Having never heard The Vaselines original makes it easy to say how great it is, but I am sure that Vaselines fans might feel otherwise. This would be an interesting off-topic thread to have discussions where originals are compared to a specific cover version. Would a cover ever out do the original?

Guess it depends on how much you like the original. I thought the Vaseline's cover done for that session was better than the original and added to song but I'm only a mild Vaselines fan. It added an emotional sincerity where I think the original came off as more intellectual. I also grew up around a lot of that folksy Jesus stuff and it hit home a bit more when he did it. Some covers also add a different tone or slight changes to invoke different moods or emotional meanings and I think these fare better as people tend to find ways to like these without them competing with there feelings on the originals. It's hard. I mean even when these covers kind of succeed they only seem in my kind to get a pass. I mean radiohead are obviously talented but even the headmaster ritual cover only gets an above average grade from me. They didn't embarrass themselves and make the song sound awkward but it still feels lifeless mainly because like you said it's the feeling the performances bring in these cases thats hard to match and for me that includes the music as well. I've seen morrissey perform songs like still ill with his recent band in 2013 and obviously with him doing the song and the music being easier to replicate than a vocal it still didn't sound like it would, has, with the smiths playing it from what I can tell from old videos or even from more recent marry versions of smiths songs. Someone trying to mimic that magic is almost certain to fail. Bring it back to nirvana unplugged I think the song Kurt probably had a harder time cover was where did you sleep last night. Giving it that screeching harrowing quality is why it succeeded so well, making it his own. If he had done it straight like the original I don't know how it would have come out. His cover of that Beatles song is another version of that direction. Even on a boom box recording it sounds great and compelling since he sang it with such a morose vocal. And I love her I think was the song. If he had done it straight like the original I think it would have failed and come off sounding sarcastic and not serious

Thom (my guess) has still got to be reeling in pain from a broken heart having split with his long time companion, with which whom they have 2 children together. You can hear it profusely in RH's last LP. And from him to choose that one line from 'How Soon Is Now' is quite appropriate to him, I'm guessing of course.

Thom, from the DVD 'Meeting People Is Easy' said that 'Strangeways' had a great impact on him. I haven't ever heard a comment from him concerning Morrissey's solo work though, just The Smiths.

Guess it depends on how much you like the original. I thought the Vaseline's cover done for that session was better than the original and added to song but I'm only a mild Vaselines fan. It added an emotional sincerity where I think the original came off as more intellectual. I also grew up around a lot of that folksy Jesus stuff and it hit home a bit more when he did it. Some covers also add a different tone or slight changes to invoke different moods or emotional meanings and I think these fare better as people tend to find ways to like these without them competing with there feelings on the originals. It's hard. I mean even when these covers kind of succeed they only seem in my kind to get a pass. I mean radiohead are obviously talented but even the headmaster ritual cover only gets an above average grade from me. They didn't embarrass themselves and make the song sound awkward but it still feels lifeless mainly because like you said it's the feeling the performances bring in these cases thats hard to match and for me that includes the music as well. I've seen morrissey perform songs like still ill with his recent band in 2013 and obviously with him doing the song and the music being easier to replicate than a vocal it still didn't sound like it would, has, with the smiths playing it from what I can tell from old videos or even from more recent marry versions of smiths songs. Someone trying to mimic that magic is almost certain to fail. Bring it back to nirvana unplugged I think the song Kurt probably had a harder time cover was where did you sleep last night. Giving it that screeching harrowing quality is why it succeeded so well, making it his own. If he had done it straight like the original I don't know how it would have come out. His cover of that Beatles song is another version of that direction. Even on a boom box recording it sounds great and compelling since he sang it with such a morose vocal. And I love her I think was the song. If he had done it straight like the original I think it would have failed and come off sounding sarcastic and not serious

From this I think it comes down to charisma and a singular voice. A style that takes a cover in a different direction, but is still pleasing to listen to. Thom and Kurt are two examples of artists that draw you in with the sound of their voice alone. You were spot on above BTW.

Sounds like the crowd starts to sing along at the very end . Thom , Thom you really need a haircut. The hair in a bun is a bad look .

Sounds like the crowd starts to sing along at the very end . Thom , Thom you really need a haircut. The hair in a bun is a bad look .

Balding is a b*tch. It is quite common for men to let their hair grow long whilst loosing it. It's not "comforting", "cheery" or "kind" to see one's forehead expand. The next step is usually shaved head and beard. Might be a good look.

Balding is a b*tch. It is quite common for men to let their hair grow long whilst loosing it. It's not "comforting", "cheery" or "kind" to see one's forehead expand. The next step is usually shaved head and beard. Might be a good look.

Very true though I see thom with a goatee more so than a beard. It's always interesting to see famous bald people like stipe for example. I have a hard time thinking of them with hair. Like Kelsey from Frazier. He looked so much better once he just cut his hair short and it'd be hard to imagine him a full head of hair. Would almost take away from his presence. Same with Patrick Stuart. It's just so much of how I see them

And mine.

Father and son?
thom-yorke-latitude-fest-2015-billboard-650.jpg
images

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom