Question about Interesting Drug video

not_me_not_I

In Scandal & Passion (not the most accurate book I've ever read) David Bret says that the graffiti had to be changed from "there are some bad people on the rise" to "people on the right" as the former phrase was considered too offensive or controversial.
Can someone explain for me how it is offensive or controversial, or if this story is even accurate?
I had always assumed it was a dig at conservatives.
Thanks.

In Scandal & Passion (not the most accurate book I've ever read) David Bret says that the graffiti had to be changed from "there are some bad people on the rise" to "people on the right" as the former phrase was considered too offensive or controversial.
Can someone explain for me how it is offensive or controversial, or if this story is even accurate?
I had always assumed it was a dig at conservatives.
Thanks.

It is a dig at conservatives.

Plus, I think you've got it backwards.

IDgraffiti.jpg

The lyrics say "rise" but the graffiti changed it to "right".
David Bret was giving this bizarre explanation to why it was changed for the video.

IDgraffiti.jpg

David Bret was giving this bizarre explanation to why it was changed for the video.

I know, but obviously the man is very foolish if he claims "bad people on the rise" is controversial. It's the other way around...what IS in the video is what was considered controversial.

David Bret is an incredible f***tard.

One of the worst, most pretentious writers I've ever seen.

He also quotes "I'd Love To" as "A gay, I lay awake."

f***ing idiot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Morrissey had sung several times "there are some bad people on the right" at his gigs. I reckon it's nothing more than a simply joke.

Well Morrissey had sung several times "there are some bad people on the right" at his gigs. I reckon it's nothing more than a simply joke.
I can understand your point... I would have thought Moz would have maybe changed the song lyric but not the graffiti. To be honest the whole song is pretty much a dig at tory policy and tories in general- Council Estates to kill ones dreams, government training schemes. Maybe post maggie on the chopping block Moz felt he needed to be more selective (I don't know). I always thought the bad people on the "rise" meant Tory types anyway-the fact he put that in the video and often sang "Bad,bad people on the RIGHT" is just a way of spelling out the fact

He also quotes "I'd Love to" as "A gay, I lay awake."

f***ing idiot.

After reading the book, I agree with you. I saw that one and several other outrageous mistakes.

Urgh! That book is terrible. I threw my copy away so that nobody else could ever read it.

I think the original reporting of this came from an NME article.... citation needed. Mr Bret didn't do his research. I was ways told history was about primary and secondary numbers

I think the original reporting of this came from an NME article.

That's what I recall. At the time of its release, the British press (probably the NME) wondered aloud whether "There are some bad people on the right" had been changed to "there are some bad people on the rise" on the RECORD in order to avoid a BBC ban on playing it. IE, the lyric was changed to gain radio airplay, but its original intent was scrawled on the bathroom wall in the video.

David Bret is getting the controversy backwards, not that it was ever much of a controversy. It was the lyric on the single, not in the video, that was (possibly) changed.

IDgraffiti.jpg

I know, but obviously the man is very foolish if he claims "bad people on the rise" is controversial. It's the other way around...what IS in the video is what was considered controversial.

which makes me think..." there are some bad Writers on the rise".....

He also quotes "I'd Love to" as "A gay, I lay awake."

f***ing idiot.

After reading the book, I agree with you. I saw that one and several other outrageous mistakes.

Urgh! That book is terrible. I threw my copy away so that nobody else could ever read it.

Here's to ya, Mister Bret.

Funny, this thread had been buried and forgotten until Mr. Bret decided to stop by. I guess he wants us to keep bumping it so that everyone becomes familiar with the inaccuracies in the book. Would anyone like to add some more?

Funny, this thread had been buried and forgotten until Mr. Bret decided to stop by. I guess he wants us to keep bumping it so that everyone becomes familiar with the inaccuracies in the book. Would anyone like to add some more?

I found an old quote from Mr. Bret about the fans:

"Pasty-faced geeks who look like a good feed would kill them, bespectacled freaks who try to look like him and who are only truly happy when they are ill. Young men who swear they are straight, but go home and masturbate to the sound of The Smiths."

Sounds a bit familiar doesn't it?

I found an old quote from Mr. Bret about the fans:

"Pasty-faced geeks who look like a good feed would kill them, bespectacled freaks who try to look like him and who are only truly happy when they are ill. Young men who swear they are straight, but go home and masturbate to the sound of The Smiths."

Sounds a bit familiar doesn't it?

He's got a thing about masturbation, hasn't he?

He's got a thing about masturbation, hasn't he?

He does...it is a bit weird for a 57 year-old man to talk like he's in Junior High....unfortunately, he also writes like he's in Junior High as well. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom