Please Close The Door Behind Me - Morrissey statement at TTY

It's a long one!

PLEASE CLOSE THE DOOR BEHIND ME - true-to-you.net
20 August 2014

Morrissey statement

In response to 77 million questions I can only say this much on the subject of the Harvest drama. It is quite true that Harvest initially appeared like a saintly beacon of light, and they instantly packed us off to France where we recorded World peace is none of your business. The universe was back in balance, and we all considered this to be the very best Morrissey recording ever, and even the boo-hoo-suck-it-off elements of the press appeared to want to agree. At last I am born.

It all seemed too good to be true. It was. I believed that the rich soil of the album had several strong hit singles. Frayed tempers began when Harvest arranged the 'spoken word' films, none of which gave any clue as to what World peace is none of your business intended to be, or is. The films were OK, but they went nowhere and stayed there.

With every nerve alert, we pushed the label for a proper video for Istanbul to precede the album, not least of all because a single ahead of the album release might inch the album to a higher chart position. The label backed off, even though Istanbul received 55 radio plays in just seven days on a major US station. Instead, the label requested a fifth spoken-word film, which naturally had me fumbling around for an axe: no independent thought required. The UK label, meanwhile, created a quite fantastic television advertisement to transmit during the week ahead of the album release. I could taste excitement once again. The TV ad never appeared and my hackles bristled as my bristles heckled. The label responded with frosty aloofness, and I suddenly realized that we were not, after all, of the same species. I ploughed into them insisting upon "proper band videos, where the band play and I sing" - an evidently confusing concept that required seven weeks of explanation, detailed graphs and several drawn up maps.

The label suggested I come to Los Angeles and read passages from Autobiography in front of selected audiences. As frightening as that idea was, I hung on, desperate to believe that Harvest were not as cheap as they now looked. I hope to finish this statement whilst I'm still clean-shaven, so I will jump to the final curtain: during the weeks of the album release, the label were minus one single structural idea, and it appeared evident that each member of the team was acting in separate rooms without doors or windows. Mutual mistrust exploded between Harvest and I, and with fashionable pessimism, the label boss yawned and ordered the surface smartness of dropping World peace is none of your business three weeks after its release. There, now! This would not have happened to the Teletubbies.

Sorrily botched the project may now be, but it's worth it to get Morrissey out of our Inbox. Yes, I can be intensely persistent, and I certainly have an over-active fantasy-life, but the Harvest experience tells us that despite the blinding flash of teeth and smiles, it doesn't take much for the coin to flip and suddenly we're all compromised and shattered. All you need to do is disagree with the vanity of the label boss and your beheading will be slotted in between bottles of the most average champagne on the market. Just one weak-chinned drone can assert the fist of injustice and all of our efforts are flushed away. And thus ... they were.

I might be wrong, but I think World peace is none of your business will instantly disappear from iTunes and record stores and every download-upload-offload outlet on the planet, because Harvest technically have no right to sell it.

Most of the Harvest team are very nice, and I sincerely thank them for trying and caring so much - even if their promotional duties were fully undertaken by the Morrissey audience themselves, whose You Tube videos for World peace is none of your business fully provide the art that the label could not muster. The listeners instantly understood how entertainment could also be art. Staggeringly, I still believe that there's a label out there with my name on it, and one that will issue World peace is none of your business, and afford it the respect it deserves.

Thanks for reading this (rashly assuming that you have), and thanks once again to the Harvesters who tried.

We are boot-camp ready for Lisbon in October, so with the will of many gods, hopefully at least 38 of you will turn up.

MORRISSEY
20 August 2014

Related media:

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: TTY Statement : Please Close The Door Behind Me

Unless you can name the exact people and quote exactly what they said then all you're doing is making a generalisation. I can why you did this as they are incredibly easy to make, but pointless. Plenty of us who love the album were confused by the spoken word videos. They were interesting but ultimately pointless. So unless you're willing to trawl the forum for actual evidence of contradicting opinions in favour of Morrissey's latest statement. SHhhhhhh....

They shall be outed for what they really are ! ( It may take a while please be patient )

Benny-the-British-Butcher

That's hardly surprising as it's 100% critical of Morrissey.
Why on earth do you waste so much of your life here, on a website about a man who you clearly cannot stand?
It would be weird enough if you were a just a regular poster, but you're a moderator for f***'s sake.
Why are you doing it?

No point asking Uncle P even the simplest of questions, Maurice E. He won't answer them.
All he will be doing is throw more abuse at you. 'f***ing moron' and all that. He needs treatment.

Now back on topic: This is indeed a very clarifying statement, confirming what I said on here 3 months ago.
The promotion for World Peace ended when none of the three singles were properly promoted and failed to make any impact. From then on there was no chance Moz was going to cooperate in any way. Down we go together.

Marred isn't a yes man. When Morrissey says no, he says no.

So clever.

If you can be bothered which i know you can't you'll find this is exactly what i said when they came out. Interesting but why no actual music videos? There are literally hundreds of posts here by me and other fans of the new album crapping all over Harvest's lame arse promotional tactics. It's nothing new.

It is easier though isn't it, to reel off some bullshit quip?

Last edited:

This is more drivel blaming the record company for everything; perhaps they (like many) believed the final product (WPINOYB) is NOT GOOD.

Here is another thing--the great writer has a pronoun usage error. Mutual mistrust exploded between Harvest and I, and with fashionable pessimism, the label boss yawned and ordered the surface smartness of dropping World peace is none of your business three weeks after its release.

The correct pronoun is "me."

Secondly, how dare Morrissey use the word "behead" after the horrible event that this ISIS nutcases just did to an innocent journalist. All you need to do is disagree with the vanity of the label boss and your beheading will be slotted in between bottles of the most average champagne on the market. Just one weak-chinned drone can assert the fist of injustice and all of our efforts are flushed away.

More of the same "woe is me." This is a despicable act.

Oh great keeper of words and timing. I must inquire exactly how long after the beheading incident must one wait before using it in a sentence again? One week, 2 days, 4 hours? Exactly when?

Oh great keeper of words and timing. I must inquire exactly how long after the beheading incident must one wait before using it in a sentence again? One week, 2 days, 4 hours? Exactly when?

Never! It's violent and childish, quite frankly!

Morrissey-Sucks

Never! It's frankly a violent and childish word to use!

I believed that the rich soil of the album had several strong hit singles. Frayed tempers began when Harvest arranged the 'spoken word' films, none of which gave any clue as to what World peace is none of your business intended to be, or is. The films were OK, but they went nowhere and stayed there.

f***ing Harvest pushed for the spoken word films which are nice but come on...on which planet do they live? You need singles to promote the Album FFS !!!!!

Cheers Moz

"I hope to finish this statement whilst I'm still clean-shaven"

He is so funny , honestly Number 1. End of story.

Cheers Moz

Cheers Moz

It's your basic level sarcasm - hardly the height of comedic achievement.

Are you American?

This is more drivel blaming the record company for everything; perhaps they (like many) believed the final product (WPINOYB) is NOT GOOD.

Here is another thing--the great writer has a pronoun usage error. Mutual mistrust exploded between Harvest and I, and with fashionable pessimism, the label boss yawned and ordered the surface smartness of dropping World peace is none of your business three weeks after its release.

The correct pronoun is "me."

Secondly, how dare Morrissey use the word "behead" after the horrible event that this ISIS nutcases just did to an innocent journalist. All you need to do is disagree with the vanity of the label boss and your beheading will be slotted in between bottles of the most average champagne on the market. Just one weak-chinned drone can assert the fist of injustice and all of our efforts are flushed away.

More of the same "woe is me." This is a despicable act.

oh just f*ck off you reactionary knob

Cheers Moz

And this comes just a few days after Rat wrote on his Following the Mozziah blog how he wondered if Moz was currently in-shaven. Add it to the list of MorrisseysWorld coincidences.

Go f*** yourself. Now blocked.

It would appear that Skinny can't use reasonable debate on this matter, as A) There is no reasonable debate B) He is incapable of reasonable debate C) He's a c***! There is no D.

Anyway, back on topic, the TTY statement by Morrissey shows he is getting his mojo back. I look forward to his Carpark tour.

Are you American?

And sarcasm is not supposed to be funny? Your statement is illogical at best and discriminatory at worst!

"and we all considered this to be the very best Morrissey recording ever"
Do these people have names?

Bizarre statement. If you're a 3 decade veteran music entertainter/entrepreneur like "Team Morrissey Inc", you surely know how deals are constructed and FMCG releases rolled-out? Did nobody negotiate a marketing spend/strategy before licensing the product to Harvest? What was the deal on risk/profit sharing? It's Capitalism, mt8, not some half-arsed early 80s "Indie vs The Man" fake NME rebel yell nonsense these days.

Did "Team Morrissey Inc" invest any of their own money from previous marketing campaigns (albums/tours) in the business plan/profitability model for WPINOYB? Or are they still in some imaginary, long-vanished world where corporate record company employees risk capital on trophy diva 'stars' without having their balls chewed by accountants? If the data feedback on airplay/sales was insufficient to trigger a major marketing campaign, then that's just protecting Harvest Inc shareholders and investors. Totally legitimate and sensible. There was nothing stopping "Team Morrissey Inc" from providing their own parallel advertising/marketing campaign, but if they aren't profit/risk sharers in the venture, they presumably balked at doing so and expected Harvest Inc to take all the risk and then dole out the rewards? If that's the case, that's not Capitalism, that's free-loading.

One hopes that "Team Morrissey Inc" now employ a seasoned music industry campaigner to negotiate a business plan/profitability model/profit share and marketing spend before placing this product with another World Capitalist Corporate Rock Whore Machine. If they invest their own money/profit margins in the risky business of funding promotion then they have every right to dictate how it's constructed. If they just licence the 'product' for a set period and fee again then.... "World Press Is None Of Your Business".

Alarmingly simplistic, almost ingenue level of debate. Try harder. Amateur Hour ended a long time ago. If you don't put your own balls (ring-fenced Capital from previous projects) on the line, why do you expect any other Shareholders/Capitalists to invest their cash? I'd never invest in "Team Morrissey Inc" because, although I see the potential for a mass global audience for this wonderful new music, it seems the organisational structure of "Team Morrissey Inc" simply isn't fit for purpose either as a touring vehicle or a FMCG merchant. [Fast Moving Consumer Goods: CDs/T-shirts/Concert Tickets ) Which is a real shame given the quality of the products. Time for a shake-up in the boardroom of "Team Morrissey Inc"? Now, back to the day trading!

Best wishes
BrummieBoy
briefly back in The Shire before further travels!

Eugenius' Top 12 Take-Aways From Morrissey's Latest Open Letter to His Fans and Foes
4. He speaks of the push for a fifth spoken word promo. Which one was the fourth? Weren't there only three? Did I just get bored and miss number four?

The four were:

World Peace...
Earth is...
The Bullfighter Dies
Istanbul

And sarcasm is not supposed to be funny? Your statement is illogical at best and discriminatory at worst!

Not really. He said something humourous, but it is the kind of thing anyone with an ounce of wit might say in passing as kind of offhand slight. It's hardly the work of an Edinburgh Fringe champion. No need to put him on a pedastal.

Are you American?

I really don't get Morrissey's apparent humour. I remember Bono claiming he nearly crashed his car because Girlfriend in a coma was so funny. Hardly.

I really don't get Morrissey's apparent humour. I remember Bono claiming he nearly crashed his car because Girlfriend in a coma was so funny. Hardly.

It's definitely not going to be funny to you if you don't get it.

Shall I get your coat for you on the way out?

All this record company shenanigans is just more tedious whinging.... Both seem equally blameworthy. Ultimately the mishandling of the PR by the record company and Morrissey's lack of interest in doing any media promotion have ensured World Peace will be regarded as a failure despite it being a decent record.

I agree that he should look at self-financing future releases - however if Morrissey created his own record label he'd end up leaving it after 4 weeks.

Tags
deleted itunes morrissey

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom