Paul Weller

GirlAfraid23

I watched a documentary on bbc4 about him the other night and I was suitably impressed, I have always been a fan of the Jam and Style council but the documentary really blew me away through how much effort he put into his music etc.

I was just wondering what everyone else's opinions are of him?
I know our Moz is a big fan!

He was also strangely attractive in his young years I think...

WA446812-FB~International-Youth-Year-Video-Suggs-of-Madness-with-Paul-Weller-of-Style-Council-Posters.jpg

84308645.ffdqU4wX.StyleCouncil.jpg

Re: Paul Weller...

I watched a documentary on bbc4 about him the other night and I was suitably impressed, I have always been a fan of the Jam and Style council but the documentary really blew me away through how much effort he put into his music etc.
I was just wondering what everyone else's opinions are of him?
I know our Moz is a big fan!
He was also strangely attractive in his young years I think...

WA446812-FB~International-Youth-Year-Video-Suggs-of-Madness-with-Paul-Weller-of-Style-Council-Posters.jpg

84308645.ffdqU4wX.StyleCouncil.jpg

Moz certainly liked the Jam enough to cover them but he wouldn't care for solo Weller.
I can't help but feel that Weller is a bit of a berk. He comes from Woking, just a few miles from my home town, yet (these days) he sings in a ludicrous mid Atlantic accent. Plus, with the possible exception of Primal Scream, no-one else manages to cram quite as many clichés into a song.
Ironically, (given the critical grilling) his Style Council stuff has stood the test of time the best. Speak Like A Child is incredibly joyful and 'You're the best thing' is absolutely gorgeous. His voice sounds fantastic in these songs too. Hard to believe it's the same person who did the mockney cockney vocals in the Jam and the gruff, cliché ridden stuff of the 90's and 00's.

I quite like the Jam, love the Style Council, don't really care for his solo work. Although his album Heliocentric is very good.

I think The Style Council were awesome. Some of it has dated quite badly but some still sounds fresh. And all credit to him for trying something different. A man I work with was a big Mod but even he said he prefered TSC to the Jam.

He's truly brilliant live. Not too fussed about his solo stuff but the man who wrote the line "a hundred lonely housewives clutch empty milk bottles to their hearts" will always rank highly with me :thumb:

Jam
Solo
Style Council

IMO

I loved The Jam as a teenager.

Their best song was Man in the Corner Shop.Few words that speak volumes.

I watched that too. Was really good. I'm wondering if he demanded that he not be filmed for his obvious recent interview out of ar(sey)tistic reasons though. Foxton seemed very bitter in his bits too.

Back
Top Bottom