Northern Soul review of Dog on a Chain by Danny Moran (most detailed to date?)

A well-written, interesting and balanced review.
www.northernsoul.me.uk/album-review-i-am-not-a-dog-on-a-chain-morrissey/
  • 'his finest work in a long generation'
  • 'It’s no longer in the words these days, for instance, where the window on Morrissey’s soul can really be found, but in the voice.'
  • 'If there’s a catchier collection of tunes in the Morrissey catalogue then it’s long since been deleted from the popular playlist. Let’s not shrink from this – there’s scarcely a dud to be found among this eclectic 11-strong suit'
  • 'Back in the mists of time it was the rolling chords from Johnny Marr’s fiendishly detuned guitars which allowed the young singer to extemporise on a canvas unlike any in popular music. Now, in having him throw his arms around a synthesiser, producer Chiccarelli and writing partner Jessie Tobias suggest credible, belated reinvention and a potential lifeline in the waters presently engulfing the Morrissey shipwreck. The indifferent bleep and the Mozzer croon bowl along quite handsomely, funnily enough, and in tossing out so many of the old gestures – the ersatz machismo of his regular minstrel players – the new idea of a kind of enlightened Left Banke chanteur is given a leg up.'
  • 'If you sing your heart out on national television with the insignia of the far right pinned to your lapel then you broadcast a message which every sensible-thinking citizen will see as their duty to throw back in your face. If you lack the perspective to see that there is a war taking place across the globe between tolerance and hatred and that there is no room in that landscape for your faux patriotism and pick-and-mix prejudices then you deserve a picket line under your chin, a record-pyre at your local sports ground, and you can take your ten-dollar trumpet and stick it sideways where the sun once shone – irrespective of the nuances of your position.'
  • 'The singer refuses to leave the stage, unbent and unbowed he would have you believe, though with the pridefully wakened passions of a man singing for his life.'

Three replies in a row to people also posting about Morrissey's public image & possible motivations.
There is this thing called multi-quote. You might want to look into it. And also, from a PR standpoint, I don't think it's that effective to hover over every thread and repeat yourself to the point that you do. You seem to take this very seriously and you spend so much time talking about your PR expertise I can't imagine how you have time to practice it.

I think the main takeaway is that Moz is HATEABLE. People just love to hate him. That's what he's set himself up for. He's got a persecution complex. The question is - Is being a toxic brand what he wants? Is that his true aim?
I think you are right when you say that Morrissey is hateable, and that people just love to hate him. However, I am not sure whether he's has consciously set himselft up to that. I tend to think that some of his attitudes have been a kind of defense mechanism to deal with a society that's rejected him from the beginning for being who he is.

I think you are right when you say that Morrissey is hateable, and that people just love to hate him. However, I am not sure whether he's has consciously set himselft up to that. I tend to think that some of his attitudes have been a kind of defense mechanism to deal with a society that's rejected him from the beginning for being who he is.
"...a society that's rejected him from the beginning for being who he is."
What utter claptrap!!!

There is this thing called multi-quote. You might want to look into it. And also, from a PR standpoint, I don't think it's that effective to hover over every thread and repeat yourself to the point that you do. You seem to take this very seriously and you spend so much time talking about your PR expertise I can't imagine how you have time to practice it.

I've been chatting to people on a Morrissey fan forum about Morrissey & his publicity & politics.

You're so damn bitter that I couldn't be arsed talking to you about Peter Tatchell - I don't take anything seriously & I haven't talked about my 'expertise'.

And posting on a forum on my phone doesn't take time.

It does take time to obsessively post 15+ messages per day defending Morrissey on a fan site. Do you do the same for all your clients? Does it work? Because here it seems you are actually annoying everyone.

It does take time to obsessively post 15+ messages per day defending Morrissey on a fan site. Do you do the same for all your clients? Does it work? Because here it seems you are actually annoying everyone.

No. It doesn't take time. It's like scrolling Twitter but with more interesting emojis (IMO).

Sorry I annoyed you by disagreeing with you over a Pitchfork article, but you could just let it go.

I've been chatting to people on a Morrissey fan forum about Morrissey & his publicity & politics.

You're so damn bitter that I couldn't be arsed talking to you about Peter Tatchell - I don't take anything seriously & I haven't talked about my 'expertise'.

I've posted on several earlier threads how you do come across as a know it all despite being not being anywhere near the action so to speak. You also have a habit of using language that doesn't make a lot of sense so folk don't know what your on about half the time. After a while that cumulatively becomes kinda annoying I'm afraid.

I've posted on several earlier threads how you do come across as a know it all despite being not being anywhere near the action so to speak. You also have a habit of using language that doesn't make a lot of sense so folk don't know what your on about half the time. After a while that cumulatively becomes kinda annoying I'm afraid.

I'll nick some of Viva's memes. That'll up the entertainment quota.

He was successful for every year between 1982 and 2020?
What I'm saying is look at his recording, touring, tv appearances, radio appearances, radio airplay, multiple music magazine front page exclusive's etc etc from 1982 to 2020. No matter whether you're a fan or not you'd have to accept that that's a successful career to date. Now the level of that success does not suggest to me that he has been hated by society since 1982.

I'll nick some of Viva's memes. That'll up the entertainment quota.
Haha that won't help but good reply ☺️

Tags
i am not a dog on a chain review

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom