NME strring again

Gallagher however has praised the band's lyrics saying: "I think with the Arctic Monkeys, a lot of it is about the world play. 'Cause they are quite stunning lyrics, to be honest. The thing about the words, it's alright if you understand them."

And let's not forget the comment about Morrissey:
"Whatever you put down in a lyric, he'll do it better. Because he's the best lyricist I've ever read."

mmmm

> Talk about blowing things out of all proportion....

yeah, i don't think that morrissey "slammed" anyone when he said that. it sounded like he was expressing a valid concern about it being too much, too soon.

> Talk about blowing things out of all proportion....

"I think it's so easy to be controversial in pop music because no one ever is"

Spot on Moz

At least they printed the whole of Morrissey's quote, because anybody can see that, despite NME's hyped-up commentary, Moz is expressing a genuine concern for a band having too much too soon. He didn't say their music or lyrics were bad, or that they were boring, just that they "haven't quite earned it yet, baby".

It's a bit like people need Morrissey to be controversial isn't it? What he said about the Arctic Monkeys was actually pretty bland but it gets written up as "Morrissey SLAMS the Monkeys". It's like what he said about the false stories in the press always have him behaving in extreme ways.

> It's a bit like people need Morrissey to be controversial isn't it? What
> he said about the Arctic Monkeys was actually pretty bland but it gets
> written up as "Morrissey SLAMS the Monkeys". It's like what he
> said about the false stories in the press always have him behaving in
> extreme ways.

yeah, and how is it their fault that they are too successful? you can't slam anyone for whatever the listeners decide about their band.

i can't imagine the Arctic Monkeys being around for much longer than an album or two. I think they are just like the Hives, the Strokes, and the White Stripes where their appeal lasts for one album because that scene moves so fast and there are so many bands with a similar sound that it's easy for anyone to step right into any gaping hole and for the last band to be forgotten about.

I read in the Sun yesterday in the Bizarre column (refuse to buy it - I picked it up free on the tube!)

"Morrissey Slams Monkeys, blah blah blah..."

Ending with something along the lines of this classic piece of journalism:

"Lighten up Moz, you old misery guts. Heaven knows he's a miserable man now"

(Original).

And then the NME (which I also refuse to buy becuase of their ridculous sensationalism) bring up the same bile.

When I read the thing about the Monkeys - that Moz HAD said - I read it like he had said that they had it all too quickly, hadnt worked the pubs and clubs as long as most, and it was as if he thought it maybe to THEIR detriment. And they maybe better off working for it.

Which I agree with - That ISNT slamming the Artic Monkeys, that is saying, hang on lads have a look round and don't lose sight of what you are doing it for, and prove how good you could be with your next albums.

Concern from Morrissey obviously doesnt sell. But then again neither does shite like what is printed at the minute.

I dont get angry about many things but this kind of shite in print is inexcusable

> i can't imagine the Arctic Monkeys being around for much longer than an
> album or two. I think they are just like the Hives, the Strokes, and the
> White Stripes where their appeal lasts for one album because that scene

All three of those bands are still alive and kicking, thank you very much.

> All three of those bands are still alive and kicking, thank you very much.

so is Better than Ezra but nobody really gives a crap.

I don't think that the NME was blowing anything out of proportion. They simply reported what Morrissey said, which as Noel Gallagher pointed out, is idiotic.

This idea that a band must resist opportunities and keep itself muted because it might get too popular, too soon, is just dumb. What does Morrissey expect, that they hide from everyone? If you make it, you make it. It's not slave labor. You don't have to prove anything. You offer music, and if people want to come and see you, then they will come and see you. If you become desired, then be thankful.

Music careers are predominantly short-lived anyhow, so you better grab it when you can. Very few artists have any longeveity, and even if they do, their quality begins to wane.

Morrissey is a perfect example of this. Popularity does not always equal quality, nor does it always mean that an artist is lazy, and well, shit.

All Morrissey said was that it all happened very quickly for The Monkeys and they need to be careful not to lose the plot. Why is that "idiotic".
In an age where the next 'big thing' band, The Libertines, were wrecked within 2 years and most people have the attention span of a 1 year old, I think his comments are meant with affection.

No, he said that they didn't have to earn anything, which again, is an idiotic comment, on its own. Thye earned it by offering a product that is desired. I don't think Morrissey possesses affection for anything but himself and a few dead heroes. So, we'll just have to disagree.

He's stated this kind of tripe before. I seriously doubt that his intentions were to give the band a cautionary tale. He's playing the role of the contrarian. They're popular, so Morrissey must crash the party. It's just the usual British back-biting that bands have always had to deal with.
Again, Noel's comments apply.

I mean, if you're going to play the game of positive interpretation, then others can play the game of negative interpretation. Morrissey apparently has a hard time saying what he means by the logic used on here. He's like the f***ing Riddler in some people's minds. Hey, whatever keeps him interesting to me.

> All Morrissey said was that it all happened very quickly for The Monkeys
> and they need to be careful not to lose the plot. Why is that
> "idiotic".
> In an age where the next 'big thing' band, The Libertines, were wrecked
> within 2 years and most people have the attention span of a 1 year old, I
> think his comments are meant with affection.

Well, by the token that they offered a "product that is desired" then Son of Dork should be revered.

I'm not suggesting they are Sigue Sigue Sputnik, but the odds on them not being challenged by their sudden and immense popularity, when you consider where they came from, is daft.

Why must all comment be taken as criticism?

Back
Top Bottom