NME: "Does Rock ‘N’ Roll Kill Braincells?! - Boy George" - Morrissey mentions (November 20, 2020)

Boy-George-Nov-2020-by-Dean-Stockings-02USE--1392x885.jpg

Does Rock ‘N’ Roll Kill Braincells?! – Boy George

In Does Rock ‘N’ Roll Kill Braincells?!, we quiz a grizzled artist on their own career to see how much they can remember – and find out if the booze, loud music and/or tour sweeties has knocked the knowledge out of them. This week: Boy George.

...(relevant parts quoted only)...

Anyone who slagged you off that you had a laugh about it with later?

“I had tea with Morrissey in Paris in the early ‘80s and he called me ‘overbearing’.
At the time, I didn’t find it funny – now I do. I still love Morrissey and The Smiths even though I don’t love what he’s saying at the moment, but I put that into grumpy old man category. I saw him again years later and he was very sweet to me because I’d written something about how ‘Maladjusted’, one of his most critically-derided albums, is actually one of his best. He looked at me, raised an eyebrow and went: ‘’Maladjusted‘?’ (Laughs) I’m there quoting him lyrics trying to convince him it’s a f***ing great album!”

Bonus question! For a half-point: In 1985, Smash Hits readers voted you Prat of the Year. Name anyone else in the Top 10.
“Was Holly Johnson in it?”

CORRECT. Frankie Goes To Hollywood are at Number Eight – frontman Holly Johnson is also Number 12.

(Laughs) She’s going to kill me! Was George Michael in it as well?”

Yes – he’s second! The others are: Black Lace (3), Simon Le Bon from Duran Duran (4) Neil from The Young Ones (5), National Union of Mineworkers president Arthur Scargill (6), DJ Mike Read (7), Divine (9) and Morrissey (10).

“I’m in fabulous company! Divine and Morrissey alone fills me with joy. I’ve got a Divine tattoo on my arm. Before I was famous, I was on the King’s Road with Marilyn and we spotted Divine – in her civvies – and ran after her, gushing: ‘We love you!’. She was so sweet – and completely stoned! She did a concert at Heaven where she said onstage: ‘I need to get myself a new Rolls-Royce – so I can drive it over Boy George!’ (Laughs) I loved someone I admired mentioning me. It was a shame that when I became famous, she never knew what a massive influence she was in my life as a teenager.”

Full article:

Regards,
FWD.

I love Maladjusted. I also love Boy George. I wish our boy had half his charm and wit in his old age. In short, I wish he was better adjusted.

The BBC tweeted an interesting wee video about 1970s Northern Ireland.

It's so bleak.

The BBC tweeted an interesting wee video about 1970s Northern Ireland.

It's so bleak.

those were the days before regeneration,everywhere looked like that,everything was the same colour.there was no money,still paying off the second world war,three day weeks,your lights could go off at any moment with the power cuts,every family had a box of candles,as a boy it was great,every night was like haloween walking around the streets with a candle,three tv channels,and young people moan these days about there phone not being charged.

those were the days before regeneration,everywhere looked like that,everything was the same colour.there was no money,still paying off the second world war,three day weeks,your lights could go off at any moment with the power cuts,every family had a box of candles,as a boy it was great,every night was like haloween walking around the streets with a candle,three tv channels,and young people moan these days about there phone not being charged.
You’ve just nailed it gordy lad...

He let everyone one know, at Nottingham Rock City, in 1999, that he was “Never” going to perform This Charming Man ever again. No chance. We, the audience, were left in no doubt. A decade later, he’s singing it at every gig.

I think for me, the question is not his recording methods but a broader one about his situation and compromises he may or may not be prepared to make.

In principle, I believe Morrissey is often surprisingly flexible. It just depends on what he perceives the stakes are. I’d say that things are as bad now, for him, as they were in 1997–with the added issue of age being against him. Now is not the time for holding anything back. As it is, I’m waiting for a 28 year old recording I already own to come out—in a couple of months time. And I’m not even convinced that’s going to happen.
As you know Dog came out at the start of the pandemic and probably hampered sales etc It did kybosh gigs that were planned too. The pandemic is still here so I'm doubtful he's in any hurry to try record anything. He did put I Couldn't Understand Why People Laughed and alt version of Brow Of My Beloved up which were new & free. I'd imagine he does have ideas up both sleeves though.

Very vivid & I remember those days well, as a kid back then we had great fun without being fussed with technology.

He let everyone one know, at Nottingham Rock City, in 1999, that he was “Never” going to perform This Charming Man ever again. No chance. We, the audience, were left in no doubt. A decade later, he’s singing it at every gig.

I think for me, the question is not his recording methods but a broader one about his situation and compromises he may or may not be prepared to make.

In principle, I believe Morrissey is often surprisingly flexible. It just depends on what he perceives the stakes are. I’d say that things are as bad now, for him, as they were in 1997–with the added issue of age being against him. Now is not the time for holding anything back. As it is, I’m waiting for a 28 year old recording I already own to come out—in a couple of months time. And I’m not even convinced that’s going to happen.
This is the last song I will ever sing (Hurray!!)
No, I've changed my mind again (Awwww!!)

Goodnight and thank you!

Did he ever do that track called 'flexibility' is my middle name?

Windchill is also a great Xmas horror film.
yip hovis,good film with a young emily blunt.did you know that nobody has names in this film,they never call each other by name and on imdb the credits are girl and boy.

yip hovis,good film with a young emily blunt.did you know that nobody has names in this film,they never call each other by name and on imdb the credits are girl and boy.
Brilliant; I missed that.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom