New Morrissey song - I Thought You Were Dead (discuss and listen to it here)

I like this little ditty. I like it a lot.

Now I grow and unfold
There are many sides to the soul and not just one -
I thought you was dead

Content with my own thoughts in my own head -
that’s because I thought you was dead

And it was so nice, so nice
It’s all been so nice

Happy now, open wide, everything, in its place and time, now is mine -
I hoped you was dead

Genial to the last, leave the past in the past
This means you - I thought you was dead

It’s all been so nice

Freedom now, never gloom
Happiness all afternoon -
Can’t you get this in your thick head?

Sorrow gone, peace won
Five words spurred me on -
I thought you was dead

It’s all been so nice

It seems to have a similar theme to "I'm OK By Myself." Someone who might not follow Morrissey could think he'd disappeared, "I thought you was dead," and have that old Pope of Mope image stuck in their head. He never really was that. There has always been humor.
On the other hand there is a reason for that image, and that is a part of him. Maybe sometimes he senses it or is reminded of it, this gloomy person that he is presented to be, and he could be telling that part of himself "I hoped you was dead."
"This means you" seems to apply to himself and anyone who won't "leave the past in the past."

For being a collection of phrases that don't really tell a story it seems logical and clear to me.

"Now this might disturb you but
I find I'm okay by myself
And I don't need you
Or your benevolence to make sense"
seems to be a similar idea.

I feel bittersweet....seems like there's a VERY rare consesus it is a great song (even the NME posted a short review about a B-side). Whihc is great, but goes to show, with some quality control we could have been spared of his recent output.

I feel bittersweet....seems like there's a VERY rare consesus it is a great song (even the NME posted a short review about a B-side). Whihc is great, but goes to show, with some quality control we could have been spared of his recent output.

What do you mean with "VERY rare consensus it is a great song"? If there's a consensus about it, it is not rare.

The only rare thing to me is Morrissey saying "you was dead". He is a very literate person. Maybe he is citing someone else.

What do you mean with "VERY rare consensus it is a great song"? If there's a consensus about it, it is not rare.

The only rare thing to me is Morrissey saying "you was dead". He is a very literate person. Maybe he is citing someone else.

You are right, i meant the very rare event of a consensus.

it is a northern thing.its like me saying, ah thought you were deed.scottish slang says deed not dead.

why does my post get a funny rating?! he IS a beauty! he may be a cad, but he's a f***ing beauty of one :love:

It's not rare - this kind of deliberate breaking of standard English grammar is pretty common wordplay from Morrissey. See also '...and I love you, I just wish you'd stay where you is", '...when his sense of humour, gets gradually worser', etc.

Moz spoken word:
"To have had something
taken to ????
no wonder there's tears
in your eyes."

Argh - this section is driving me mad - I've played it several times and can't work out what is being said in the second line. The only thing I know for sure is that it isn't Morrissey's voice, and the final line sounds more like "in their eyes". That second line almost sounds like 'taken me to these eyes' - but it doesn't make sense in the context of the rest of the piece, and it's unlikely to repeat 'eyes' twice in four lines - unless one of the other bits is wrong? Can anyone improve on this?

"To have had something
take me to these eyes
no wonder there's tears
in their eyes."

Or even on the last album where he said I dunno on home is a question mark which made a couple of people here mad. He may be into into literature but he’s at heart a lover of language and language really doesn’t have such hard and fast rules. It evolves every moment in order to express character. I imagine he likes, one to break silly rules of proper conduct, and two really likes characters and the language they use to define themselves

It's his best song in ages and a sign that he can still come out with a good, catchy lyric when he has to and isn't distracted by other things, as has been the case of late. Respect to Jesse Tobias an' all. He's raised his game, as he's had to do, given the criticism he's gotten. The real test is whether or not the level reached by this newie will be maintained or surpassed on the ones to come, after 'California Son'.
For me, Morrissey's last true purple patch was around the 'Ringleader' period ('Ganglord' and 'Christian Dior' were and remain personal favourites of mine from that period, among others). Since then, the quality has varied of his output, let's be honest. He knows he's got fans to win back. If he does what's necessary, he could well become a Top 40 regular in the real world again. Stranger things can (and do) happen.

this is my new fav song to listen to. One of those random gems outta nowhere that Moz is so good at throwing out there.
Reminds me of how I felt when:
Good Looking Man About Town
Sweetie Pie
Etc were released

:) this is wonderful :) it sounds like hybrid 'the smiths/early morrissey solo' song to me :)

anyone comes with lyrics?

I've given Jesse his fair share of lashes over the past 15 years, but, credit due, this is one of his better co-writes. The guitar playing is sufficiently sparkly, too.

The violin and slowed down chorus are nice surprises. The spoken voice part recalls Suggs on "Piccadilly Palare" a bit.

It's his best song in ages and a sign that he can still come out with a good, catchy lyric when he has to and isn't distracted by other things, as has been the case of late. Respect to Jesse Tobias an' all. He's raised his game, as he's had to do, given the criticism he's gotten. The real test is whether or not the level reached by this newie will be maintained or surpassed on the ones to come, after 'California Son'.
For me, Morrissey's last true purple patch was around the 'Ringleader' period ('Ganglord' and 'Christian Dior' were and remain personal favourites of mine from that period, among others). Since then, the quality has varied of his output, let's be honest. He knows he's got fans to win back. If he does what's necessary, he could well become a Top 40 regular in the real world again. Stranger things can (and do) happen.

LEIHS was better than Ringleaders to me but i either way this song is great

1. Exactly. It's a great song.
2. Ah................well spotted.
3. It's all been so nice...

Hazard
x

Back
Top Bottom