New Morrissey song - I Thought You Were Dead (discuss and listen to it here)

The reason why gypsy music and jewish music sound the same is because according to romanichals the jews are gypsies too. They have the same taste which means no taste cause bling-bling is so no-no for anyone with some taste.
Only they will sport gold and decorate their homes with it. While the rest of the world moved on to white gold they keep their yellowish gold.

I’ve bought the 7“ today in Germany.
The b-side sounds like a demo with the sound is so poor. Reminds me of „Treat me like a human being“.
Maybe It would grow on me with clear sound and voice. But with this crap sound I’m truly disappointed!

Oh, so it's not just a poor-quality rip? It legitimately sounds like this on a good record player?

The reason why gypsy music and jewish music sound the same is because according to romanichals the jews are gypsies too. They have the same taste which means no taste cause bling-bling is so no-no for anyone with some taste.
Only they will sport gold and decorate their homes with it. While the rest of the world moved on to white gold they keep their yellowish gold.
65131eb7255fd763a8aa1dd81278fab1.jpg

morrissey.jpg

It does sound kind of like all the instruments were recorded together and then he did his part , like a person singing along with a cassette boombox and it's the best thing I've heard off of the new stuff. I was going along with the "Indian sound" but I think the "gypsy" suggestion changed my mind. Maybe he bought a cassette at a truckstop in Romania and recorded this on the bus on his vintage tape-to-tape machine.

It reminds me a little bit of 'The Devil went down to Georgia.'

I Re - Desgined The Front Cover Again ... With A Super Quality , I Hope You Like It ...

Attachments

• Cover Sleeve 2.jpg
    Cover Sleeve 2.jpg
    590.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
It strongly reminds me of a song by another band but I've not remembered which one yet

My view is that the ‘I thought you was dead’ refrain is supposed to be the voice of jo-average on the street - regional accent - remarking (on a chance encounter) that he thought Moz was dead; possibly a track that harks back from just after the ‘wilderness period’ after Maladjusted.
The other bits are Moz’s inner thoughts about finally finding himself, being an established artist.
I’ve only listened to the song once and scanned down the lyrics in this thread, but that is how this song feels to me at the initial stages of listening

It strongly reminds me of a song by another band but I've not remembered which one yet

I’m feeling the same. The intro is strongly reminiscent of ‘the Secret Life of Arabia from Bowie’s “Heroes”. The verse sounds like something I can’t quite put my finger on. I think I’m reminded of something punky. Possibly something by Siouxsie

Sounds like he's been recorded singing in the bath. Abysmal.

I quite like the song: a spirited b-side and definitely better than the new songs on LIHS deluxe. But is the recording really this bad on the 7-inch too? Surely this should have deserved a proper recording?

I quite like the song: a spirited b-side and definitely better than the new songs on LIHS deluxe. But is the recording really this bad on the 7-inch too? Surely this should have deserved a proper recording?

It has! Look at the download forum!

Nice song. Reminds of a couple of Smith’s songs in the rhythm and the drums especially. Weird production choices though with the vocal a bit to buried or drowned out

Wow. First Morrissey song I love since.... well, VERY long time ago. Nice arrangement, production, no nonsense lyrics. Should have been a new lead single.

My USA Florida English as first language take on the lyrics.
Moz listener since 1984

Morrissey - I Thought You Were Dead

Now I grow and unfold
there are many sides to the soul
And not just one
I thought you was dead

Content
With my own thoughts
In my own head
That's because I thought you was dead

And it was so nice
So nice
It's all been, it's all been
So nice
It's been so

Happy now
Open wide
Everything in its place and time
Now it's mine
I hoped you was dead

Genial
To the last
Leave the past in the past
This means you
I thought you was dead

And it was so nice "Oh so or not so
So nice One me and one you
It's all been, it's all been Sea breeze and sky blue
So nice, nice Very(?) so or isn't so"
It's been
It's all been so nice, it's all been so...

Moz spoken word VOICE over while chorus above:
"Oh so or not so
One me and One you
Sea breeze and sky blue
very(?) so or isn't so"

Freedom now
Never gloom
Happiness all afternoon
Can't you get this in your thick head?

It's all gone
Peace won
Five words spurred me on