Need advice

CrystalGeezer

My secret's my enzyme.
So I went to a taping of a talk show and won a $1700 trampoline. It turns out my horse-trader friend who has the attention span of a five-year-old suddenly decided he NEEDS a trampoline and was kinda hoping I'd give it to him. I gave it to my nephew who is going to LOVE it and use it and have a blast, but my sister went with me and she has a trampoline to give away too. (We live in a place with no yard to speak of.) So I get a call from this friend who says he'll trade his wife's Apple laptop which is a 4-year-old Macbook for the trampoline, and tries spinning to me that the laptop he bought her for Christmas this year is virtually identical in speed and efficiency. :straightface: Basically he thinks I'm a dumbass who doesn;t think the laptop has evolved much in the last 4 years and is trying to weasel a trampoline out of me. Which I kind of need, actually. I had a mac before, loved it, busted the monitor, now I could go back to having a portable computer again with a beautiful camera and a nice screen. HOWEVER, the last time I housesat, the wife left me a postit note saying the computer was on the fritz, the warranty is expired and the video driver doesn;t seem to be working. Husband never mentioned this while he's trying to bargain for my sister's trampoline. But when I used it while they were on vacation it worked fine. Do I risk a computer which is on the way out so he can get his dream trade? Or do I say f*** it, this smells fishy and go on using my postage stamp laptop that actually belongs to my sister. (I'd pay her for her trampoline and get a computer for it, probably $400.) I think I just answered my own question, there's gotta be a reason she needs a new laptop, why pile the problems onto me?

In case anyone wants to chime in, that's on my mind. (I almost typed that's on my "minds." :p)

Is there two trampolines - the $1700 one and your sisters? Can you easily sell the trampoline and get that much money for it? It is Christmas so that might help, I'm looking for a trampoline & the stores are all sold out:mad:

If you don't think you could sell it for much profit then I would trade for the Apple computer - but it might be better to sell the trampoline and buy a new laptop then it will have a warranty etc and you won't feel bad towards your friend if the 4 year old computer stops working.

...Dunno much about Lap-Tops, so i'm not much use here....

But.....
If it might give ya a giggle, I wrote this poem years ago, about my Dawggie...

The funniest thing I've ever seen
was Millie- Dawgg on a trampoline
Boing! She Boinged!
And Bounce!! she went
Oh such a silly Millicent.

The saddest thing I've ever saw,
Was Sooty, the black cat from next door
Watching millie Bouncing so...
And wishing he could have a go.
Happy christmas!!!
Dave.

Do not make the trade:

5 Reasons:

1. You already know the laptop needs replacing (that's why people buy new ones)
2. Even if the computer were new, it would still not be worth $1700 whereas the trampoline is
3. Both used trampolines and used laptops have low resale values: for a reason. New trampolines, on the other hand, can be sold for a price somewhere nearer original price
4. Sell now. This is the year's strongest market. Buy a laptop next week. That will be the year's best week to buy computers
5. The husband is a jerk for trying to take clear advantage of you. I would avoid doing any business with this person or the wife for not forewarning you.

Can't you sell it to someone else? On ebay perhaps and get more money so you can buy a better laptop? He's obviously trying to fool you so why should you be nice to him? No, dear. Sell it on ebay!

Well, I checked the anagram generator and got "Terminal Op" so you should definitely not do the trade. It also had "Airmen Plot" a description of his scheme to trick you and become airborne. I'd say he's "Moral Inept."

On the other hand, "Retinal Mop" sounds like a very flattering description of the screen, and "Entrap Limo" seems to suggest enticing possibilities.

Me though, I'd stay well and truly away from anything that involves "Implant Roe".

Don't swap for the laptop.

4 years old with heavy-ish use is not that great. Especially as you know a bit of it's history.

I doubt it'd last long and even if it runs fine, the Operating System will need an update soon if it hasn't been updated already. My MacBook is 3 years old and I've not paid to upgrade the OS, just done the computer updates online, and I'm starting to notice I sometimes don't have the correct OS for the latest version of iTunes etc. There's a new operating system coming out next summer I think (Lion), so I'd buy a new comp then.

Sell the trampoline on eBay or the local paper etc and get the cash!

Or did everyone get a free trampoline. Is your area swamped with trampolines and kids with broken wrists?!

Thanks for all the advice guys! I'm against selling the trampoline for money because it was given to me as a gift, it doesn't seem right. I didn't go to the show to make a profit. I think I'll pass on the used laptop and hold out for a new one someday.

Or did everyone get a free trampoline. Is your area swamped with trampolines and kids with broken wrists?!

That's another thing, there were 300 trampolines given out that day and the kind of people who go to these shows on the day that tons of gifts are handed out generally don't have a lot of money and by extension a house with a huge yard. :p I'm sure eBay has loads of them for sale and I doubt they're getting $1700 for them. :rolleyes:

Why not just sell the trampoline in your local paper or whatever and then the money you make off that, you buy a mac book with it, a NEW one!

So I went to a taping of a talk show and won a $1700 trampoline. It turns out my horse-trader friend who has the attention span of a five-year-old suddenly decided he NEEDS a trampoline and was kinda hoping I'd give it to him. I gave it to my nephew who is going to LOVE it and use it and have a blast, but my sister went with me and she has a trampoline to give away too. (We live in a place with no yard to speak of.) So I get a call from this friend who says he'll trade his wife's Apple laptop which is a 4-year-old Macbook for the trampoline, and tries spinning to me that the laptop he bought her for Christmas this year is virtually identical in speed and efficiency. :straightface: Basically he thinks I'm a dumbass who doesn;t think the laptop has evolved much in the last 4 years and is trying to weasel a trampoline out of me. Which I kind of need, actually. I had a mac before, loved it, busted the monitor, now I could go back to having a portable computer again with a beautiful camera and a nice screen. HOWEVER, the last time I housesat, the wife left me a postit note saying the computer was on the fritz, the warranty is expired and the video driver doesn;t seem to be working. Husband never mentioned this while he's trying to bargain for my sister's trampoline. But when I used it while they were on vacation it worked fine. Do I risk a computer which is on the way out so he can get his dream trade? Or do I say f*** it, this smells fishy and go on using my postage stamp laptop that actually belongs to my sister. (I'd pay her for her trampoline and get a computer for it, probably $400.) I think I just answered my own question, there's gotta be a reason she needs a new laptop, why pile the problems onto me?

In case anyone wants to chime in, that's on my mind. (I almost typed that's on my "minds." :p)

You guys won trampolines :lbf:
& yeah, f*** the deal, 4 year old laptops(even Macs) are way suckier than new ones :cool:

Thanks for all the advice guys! I'm against selling the trampoline for money because it was given to me as a gift, it doesn't seem right. I didn't go to the show to make a profit. I think I'll pass on the used laptop and hold out for a new one someday.

:lbf: I've never understood people who think like that. I would have sold it without even thinking about it! I'm so greedy!! I would probably have waited a month or so since you probably will get more for it when everyone else aren't selling theirs. Although it is christmas.....hard decision!

Hey, I agree with you besides everyone's trying to scam these
days aren't they.
A new pc is better than an old one. You never really know what
you're getting with an old one.

There is no difference between selling the trampoline and using the money to buy a mac, and trading it directly for a Mac. None.

If you want a deal on a good Mac, wait until January or February and get a refurbished one from the Mac store. They do a great job and I've always bought from there and have recommended it to friends. Nobody's ever had problems (you get some kind of warranty anyhow), and after Christmas is the time of year when their inventory is highest, hence the lower prices.

As for the trampoline, like the man said, you might as well jump...

There is no difference between selling the trampoline and using the money to buy a mac, and trading it directly for a Mac. None.

I would be trading my sister's trampoline. She wants the cash. So I'd pay her $300 or $400 for her trampoline and use it to barter for the mac, but I see your point there. It all got confused in my explaination. I'm not going to do it though. I might take Black Cloud's idea and get a refurbished one.

Back
Top Bottom