Murray Chalmers (Morrissey's ex-manager) posts image on Instagram from "Another time, another place"

Link from an anonymous person:

murraychalmers: Another time, another place. I’ve found so many cards and notes from him including some great ones where we were trying to get in touch with Charles Hawtrey. I eventually phoned Charles Hawtrey and Mr H wasn’t at all happy.Didn’t know i had kept all this stuff!

full

Last edited:
Kudos. í have a couple stored somewhere, but if í was ever going to do it, this would be the one getting the Gainsborough treatment.

Having wondered for years, í only fairly recently found out that it was shot by Alastair Thain, even if EMI spelled his name wrong on the 8x10 ~

View attachment 56702

He's a funny old bugger re:sleeves, and it would have illustrated 'Playboys' pretty nicely.
But í still do love the kid trapped up his tree motif.

:thumb:

Such a strange and beautiful photo.

At the time, besides the songs, that image is all I needed
to inform me who and what Morrissey is.

Last edited:
I was reffering to to his appearance at Jools Holland in November 1995. I think the sideburns and the moderate quiff in the last quarter of 97 looked different. Anyway, a bad hair day in the mid 90s for our hero.

Last edited:
Poor old Steve - his hair just got thinner and limper as the 90s went on. A bald patch even appeared in 99. But then, for the 2004 Quarry era, a fantastic head of hair reappeared. That's nature for you!

í would concur with the 1995 on a bad day / on a pale day guess.
Although, whether '95 or '97, he was long gone from EMI in both scenarios, so í guess that must mean that Mint Murray lasted longer than his usual rent-a-chaps ;)

Just had a thought...of a parallel universe where Cure forum dwellers try to date candids from Fat Bob's hairdos... :eek:

Based on the brevity of the quiff and the skinniness of the sideburns, isn't this actually from the Maladjusted era, late 1997?
It clearly is. That was the only period he had those super thin sideburns.

Poor old Steve - his hair just got thinner and limper as the 90s went on. A bald patch even appeared in 99. But then, for the 2004 Quarry era, a fantastic head of hair reappeared. That's nature for you!
Natur may have healed during the 7 year sabbatical but I truely never ever heard about a bald spot in 1997. That's devious, truculent and unreliable, Weeks would say. Steven('s hair) got cropped and the quiff came back nicely here and there in 1997. All was fine. Love all promo pics from that year.

Natur may have healed during the 7 year sabbatical but I truely never ever heard about a bald spot in 1997. That's devious, truculent and unreliable, Weeks would say. Steven('s hair) got cropped and the quiff came back nicely here and there in 1997. All was fine. Love all promo pics from that year.
Pretty sure he had something done in the wilderness years. His hair was fading fast in the laste 90s, only for it to bounce back, fully reinvigorated, around the time of Quarry. Fair play to him, if so. It was a nice, natural-looking job and looked good on him. His hair is such a big part of his iconic image I can understand why.

To me, it never looked like "fake hair" in 2004. If so, they really did a great job then. I wasn't aware science & cosmetic were that good at the beginning of the millennium. The tours 99-00 and 02 showed his natural, longer hair, me thought.

To me, it never looked like "fake hair" in 2004. If so, they really did a great job then. I wasn't aware science & cosmetic were that good at the beginning of the millennium. The tours 99-00 and 02 showed his natural, longer hair, me thought.
Well, I'm no expert, Phranc, but to me it seems a logical explanation. His hair was very thin and floppy at the front before he went for that shorter crop - it was fairly obvious he could no longer sustain the famous quiff, and yet there it was in 2004, fully recovered. I would guess in LA - the home of surgically-enhanced perfection - they were probably ahead of the curve on these things :lbf:

Such a fascinating theme, Peppermint. I wish he could have stayed 35-38 forever. Such a cruel world too.

Such a fascinating theme, Peppermint. I wish he could have stayed 35-38 forever. Such a cruel world too.
35-38? He looked a bit rubbish then (relatively speaking) didn't he? The quiff was thinning and collapsing. Looked much better in the 1988-92 period, and then around 2004 (so aged 45), no?

Pretty sure he had something done in the wilderness years. His hair was fading fast in the laste 90s, only for it to bounce back, fully reinvigorated, around the time of Quarry. Fair play to him, if so. It was a nice, natural-looking job and looked good on him. His hair is such a big part of his iconic image I can understand why.

I'm not sure if he had a procedure. I feel like the short hair and those (awful) long sideburns just accentuated his receding hairline in the 90s, whereas a tall quiff and shorter sideburns balance it out. Even in the Smiths days, he was receding but it was less obvious because the quiff was gigantic and distracted your attention.

Moz 80s.jpg
Moz 1997.jpg
Moz 2004.jpg

The 2004 comeback was the first time I had seen him with dyed hair (or at least a dyed quiff) - by 2006 he had stopped doing it. Grey really suits him better, I think.

quiff.jpg

I'm not sure if he had a procedure. I feel like the short hair and those (awful) long sideburns just accentuated his receding hairline in the 90s, whereas a tall quiff and shorter sideburns balance it out. Even in the Smiths days, he was receding but it was less obvious because the quiff was gigantic and distracted your attention.

View attachment 56709View attachment 56710View attachment 56711
Yeah, but the quiff had got soooo limp by 1995 - look at his appearance on Jools Holland:

Yet somehow it was bouncy and fulsome for his 'comeback years.' Some sort of intervention, chemical or surgical, surely?

Back
Top Bottom