Moz at Steve Strange memorial?

No, he sang on one of the most iconic songs of the 1980's. So swiftly find some respect.

No, he sang on one of the most iconic songs of the 1980's. So swiftly find some respect.

eh ill try but knowing nothing going in i cant promise anything. what song because if i google or youtube i dont know which to click. which is the iconic one? if you tell me ill try it out. i think i know the name perhaps but it could just be false memory. is that his stage name or just a coincidence to the marvel character? some say the marvel character was one of the first attempts at making a homosexual character. fun fact. i also dont think i disrespected him by not knowing who he is. i was a child under ten in the eighties and where i lived, well lets just say the eighties passed us by as the seventies continued to this day.

i can for sure believe hes hard of hearing as being onstage for as long as he has and as consistently as he has most def has an effect on a person. especially before they advent of decent plugs.

An anonymous person writes:

Via Fil Ok / Facebook:

So last night I spent 20 minutes in the company of the one and only...Morrissey. !
We talked about Wigan, Steve Strange, LA people, Northern Soul, Salford, Boy George and veggie lunches.
He was lovely and funny and witty, a little acerbic, a little hard-of-hearing, with a great, handsome squidgy face.
I blew it when I said 'I'd love to cook you lunch' - he said 'what would you make me?'....and my mind went blank! I should've said beans on toast.

... (posted comment) He said that he's going back to England for the Steve Strange memorial Darren, and that they were good friends :(

UPDATE Mar. 12:

Users have posted that Morrissey was not in attendance at the funeral (Mar. 12, 2015). MozSerbia posted the link with an image of the guest list:

Steve Strange funeral: Boy George and Spandau Ballet stars carry coffin - BBC News

81588644_funeral2.jpg

The guest list for Steve Strange's funeral

Last edited by a moderator:
eh ill try but knowing nothing going in i cant promise anything. what song because if i google or youtube i dont know which to click. which is the iconic one? if you tell me ill try it out. i think i know the name perhaps but it could just be false memory. is that his stage name or just a coincidence to the marvel character? some say the marvel character was one of the first attempts at making a homosexual character. fun fact. i also dont think i disrespected him by not knowing who he is. i was a child under ten in the eighties and where i lived, well lets just say the eighties passed us by as the seventies continued to this day.

i can for sure believe hes hard of hearing as being onstage for as long as he has and as consistently as he has most def has an effect on a person. especially before they advent of decent plugs.

Pity they don't have any 'decent plugs' for your mouth. Haven't you ever heard of punctuation?

Pity they don't have any 'decent plugs' for your mouth. Haven't you ever heard of punctuation?

yeah but i prefer to keep things casual and unfussy in this context. ive never heard of someone being insulted by lack of care for grammar or hurt by or offended etc. what makes you so mad about my lack of care for grammar or punctuation in general? im not trying to hurt you with it or anything

eh ill try but knowing nothing going in i cant promise anything. what song because if i google or youtube i dont know which to click. which is the iconic one? if you tell me ill try it out. i think i know the name perhaps but it could just be false memory. is that his stage name or just a coincidence to the marvel character?

Fade to Grey - Visage

Groundbreaking in more than one way

I admit to not knowing who he was. When I googled him I noticed he was just a few days younger than Moz. Dead at 55. Sad.

Fade to Grey - Visage

Groundbreaking in more than one way

cool and thanks for the reply. ill youtube it today and check it out. dont think ive ever heard the song or the name before but maybe ill recognize it when i hear it. thanks again

I admit to not knowing who he was. When I googled him I noticed he was just a few days younger than Moz. Dead at 55. Sad.

Very sad.

He was quite groundbreaking in terms of fashion and was a regular reference point for a number of bands who you could describe as new romantic. But - bar fade to grey - didn't really enjoy huge mainstream success or recognition.

Fade to grey is quite incredible - even now, all those years on, the synths and baseline make the hairs on your arm stand up.

The real reason why Morrissey and Steve Strange were chums.

Shoplifters of the World....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/703865.stm

teve Strange enjoyed pop success in the Eighties
Eighties pop star Steve Strange has been given a suspended jail sentence after being caught shoplifting.
Strange - lead singer of pop band Visage - was arrested after stealing a £10.99 Teletubbies doll in Bridgend, south Wales.

Police then discovered Strange, 40, had been on a shoplifting spree stealing cosmetics and clothes from High Street stores.

Magistrates at Bridgend heard that Strange - who had a top ten hit with Fade to Grey in the Eighties - turned to crime after his fortunes took a downturn.

Steve Strange
Steve Strange was lead singer of pop band Visage
His solicitor Mel Butler said: "He has found it difficult to cope with falling from grace after being a man of considerable wealth in the Eighties."

Strange, who is unemployed, appeared in court under his real name of Steve Harrington.

Prosecutor David Leathley said: "The other offences were discovered after Strange was taken for questioning."

Strange admitted stealing a £25 cosmetics gift set from Boots in Bridgend and he asked for three other offences to be taken into consideration.

'Myriad of problems'

He was already on bail for stealing a £15 ladies' jacket from Marks and Spencer in Cardiff when he was arrested.

Mr Butler, defending, said Strange was a man suffering from a "myriad of problems".

He appealed for magistrates not to send Strange to prison, saying there was a risk he might try to kill himself.

He said: "There is a substantial risk of self-harm if he is sent to prison."

'Persistent thief'

Strange, of Porthcawl, south Wales, admitted theft.

He was jailed for three months but magistrates suspended the prison sentence for a year.

Chairman Fred Bevan said: "You are a persistent thief and committed five offences in one day.

"But we feel we can suspend the prison sentence to give you the opportunity to take advantage of a probation order"

checked out the song and yeah im not really into minimalist synth music myself in many ways or really at all. very very few exceptions to this. had a nice voice that reminded me of the pet shop boys at times and his outfit was kinda neat for 1980 (the year i was born). i can see it being a little before its time, but not my thing. id rather listen to the pet shop boys myself. also dont know anything about the man himself so i cant say anything about him or his personality. heres the song though if anyone wants to check it out without having to take several unnecessary steps to find it

visage - fade to grey (t.v performance)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWFs1DAYfWY

and there allmusic page for those that want the skinny
http://www.allmusic.com/artist/visage-mn0000809446

french girl was the most interesting part of it imo. i also dont really care for cold spacious music unless its in contrast to something hot such as the lyrics or vocal like i feel the pet shop boys did. just my taste

He also had a nightclub which Boy George talks a bit about in his book, I think George worked in the cloakroom. Quite a few famous faces emerged from that scene.

yeah i thought he actually looked like buy geroge a bit but i dont care for his music either though im very fond of the man since ive heard him speak on t.v and in interviews. seems like a very influential guy, stephen, for that scene. i like it when people provide a platform for art as its just as essential as the musicians that get to use it

steve strange was on ashes to ashes. boy george used to work for him. steve sacked him for stealing. all good.

checked out the song and yeah im not really into minimalist synth music myself in many ways or really at all. very very few exceptions to this. had a nice voice that reminded me of the pet shop boys at times and his outfit was kinda neat for 1980 (the year i was born). i can see it being a little before its time, but not my thing. id rather listen to the pet shop boys myself. also dont know anything about the man himself so i cant say anything about him or his personality. heres the song though if anyone wants to check it out without having to take several unnecessary steps to find it

visage - fade to grey (t.v performance)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWFs1DAYfWY

and there allmusic page for those that want the skinny
http://www.allmusic.com/artist/visage-mn0000809446

french girl was the most interesting part of it imo. i also dont really care for cold spacious music unless its in contrast to something hot such as the lyrics or vocal like i feel the pet shop boys did. just my taste

Thank you for posting this. I scrolled down and found this neat little note under the clip on YouTube:

This program was broadcast in the spring of 1981 (April / May about) in Italy knew little or nothing about the New Romantics, with some appearance of Spandau Ballet and Ultravox, Adam Ant and Gary Numan, but was labeled as New Wave music, or electronic !!!
The host of the television format of the time (Jocelyn) explained roughly the new trend that is in vogue in London in the clubs that you could not enter unless dressed in period costumes (I am writing this for those who do not speak Italian)!
But remember that Fade to Grey already felt on the radio for a while, here in Italy became a real Hit in the summer of that year !!!!

Oh, only some of my favorite acts of the 80's. I think maybe all people think the decade that they grew up in as a teenager was the best, but I was a teenager in the 80's and I LOVED the music. From pop to punk to rock to New Wave and when MTV in the US actually showed videos. And the costumes/outfits and hair were just as outrageous as the music. "Refined" would not have been a word used to describe these acts.

Gary Numan's Pleasure Principle (officially release in 79 according to Wiki) blew my mind and I took an hour bus ride sick as a dog to see Adam and the Ants. And Ultravox's The Voice can best be described as a secular religious experience. This Visage song is in the same vein, but the 80's were pretty much where the term "One Hit Wonder" was given birth. It is a shame this man fell on hard times, but I am sure he was not the only one. RIP.

Last edited:
Thank you for posting this. I scrolled down and found this neat little note under the clip on YouTube:

This program was broadcast in the spring of 1981 (April / May about) in Italy knew little or nothing about the New Romantics, with some appearance of Spandau Ballet and Ultravox, Adam Ant and Gary Numan, but was labeled as New Wave music, or electronic !!!
The host of the television format of the time (Jocelyn) explained roughly the new trend that is in vogue in London in the clubs that you could not enter unless dressed in period costumes (I am writing this for those who do not speak Italian)!
But remember that Fade to Grey already felt on the radio for a while, here in Italy became a real Hit in the summer of that year !!!!

Oh, only some of my favorite acts of the 80's. I think maybe all people think the decade that they grew up in as a teenager was the best, but I was a teenager in the 80's and I LOVED the music. From pop to punk to rock to New Wave and when MTV in the US actually showed videos. And the costumes/outfits and hair were just as outrageous as the music. "Refined" would not have been a word used to describe these acts.

Gary Numan's Pleasure Principle (officially release in 79 according to Wiki) blew my mind and I took an hour bus ride sick as a dog to see Adam and the Ants. And Ultravox's The Voice can best be described as a secular religious experience. This Visage song is in the same vein, but the 80's were pretty much where the term "One Hit Wonder" was given birth. It is a shame this man fell on hard times, but I am sure he was not the only one. RIP.

didnt know that about ashes to ashes and scaery monsters was the last bowie album im into and enjoy as a whole.

no worries about posting as i like to share things and people are more likely to read listen if i provide a link. thanks for translating as i missed that bit. even if i dont love the music im very interested in musical scene formations and appreciate people who are creative and daring. seems like he gets a lot of love still which is a sign of a artist. allmusic had the first album at a four and a half out of five but the next two went down pretty quickly which is a sign imo of something going wrong in life. i think im gonna read about him tonight and check out his story.

yeah but i prefer to keep things casual and unfussy in this context. ive never heard of someone being insulted by lack of care for grammar or hurt by or offended etc. what makes you so mad about my lack of care for grammar or punctuation in general? im not trying to hurt you with it or anything

Fair enough. I was just being a thick bollox. I have to do it once a week or I explode. I usually end up apologizing though, like now. Sorry.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom