Movies for Morrissey fans

It is called widening your horizon. It is not necessarily liking whatever Morrissey likes but exploring things that he likes you might comes across stuff that might inspire you! It was because of Morrissey that I went to see the History Boys at my local theatre and absolutely loved it. So much so that I can't wait to watch Alan Bennett on the BBC on Saturday.
It was because of Morrissey that I first read Oscar Wilde when I was in my late teens and love him to this day! I agree that he has got some obscure music taste but do understand that some of it simply reminds him about a different life at a different time. You should try not to be so judgmental!

i don't think it is about being judgemental.

rather mine was a comment of some morrissey fans attempting to make themselves carbon cut outs of the stereotypical morrissey persona. quiffs, vegetarianism, wilde, attempting to possess a biting wit (and failing) and trying to convince yourself of an unnatural love of klaus nomi. not mention, it is tainted with consumerism. what perfume does he wear? bought it. where can i buy his jewellery? ordered it. oh my god, he's wearing nail polish! who amongst you have painted your nails???

god, it's all so bloody boring! in an attempt to make meaningless lives meaningful, in order to feel part of something, anything most result in discarding their own personality as if it is something of a lesser value.

why the need to be judged as a fan must our own personailites be so enmeshed in a superficial understanding of one particular character?

mutewitness, i am not accusing you of this but i think if you want to spend the day watching Ferris Buellers Day Off, don't waste an hour of your life watching the Leather Boys just because a few lines of it featured in a song.

It is called widening your horizon. It is not necessarily liking whatever Morrissey likes but exploring things that he likes you might comes across stuff that might inspire you! It was because of Morrissey that I went to see the History Boys at my local theatre and absolutely loved it. So much so that I can't wait to watch Alan Bennett on the BBC on Saturday.
It was because of Morrissey that I first read Oscar Wilde when I was in my late teens and love him to this day! I agree that he has got some obscure music taste but do understand that some of it simply reminds him about a different life at a different time. You should try not to be so judgmental!

Nope, it's not, it's thinking it makes you a 'better' fan, and 'like' Morrissey

so don't try and lecture me

It should be mentioned that by making a point of showing off his tastes Morrissey has always tacitly invited his fans to explore the bands, films, and books he loves. I don't think "liking what Morrissey likes" always means "slavish imitation".

In any case, yes, it's true that a great deal of what Morrissey likes isn't all that great. Didn't Linder compliment Morrissey on his "reliably bad taste", or am I thinking of someone else?

It should be mentioned that by making a point of showing off his tastes Morrissey has always tacitly invited his fans to explore the bands, films, and books he loves. I don't think "liking what Morrissey likes" always means "slavish imitation".

In any case, yes, it's true that a great deal of what Morrissey likes isn't all that great.

Thank you very much Worm, you always explain things eloquently.

Generally people are very curious to know where Morrissey gets the inspirations for his lyrics.
At least he tells us what kind of books / films / music / TV shows etc he likes which help us to explore and understand his work.

Morrissey loves these movies...
"Breakin' 2: Electric Bugaloo"
"You Got Served"
"Roll Bounce"
"High School High"
"Glitter"
"Crossroads"
"Dangerous Minds"
"Beaches"
"Broken Hearts Club"
"Thrashin'"
"New Jack City"
"Robin Hood: Men In Tights"
"Mermaids"
"Priscilla Queen of the Desert"

Deuce Bigalow: American Gigolo and any Adam Sandler film, especially The Waterboy

I've heard he likes School Of Rock as he thinks Jack Black is the most hilarious comdy actor of this, or any other generation. He also admired him in the film The Holiday

Morrissey loves these movies...
"Breakin' 2: Electric Bugaloo"
"You Got Served"
"Roll Bounce"
"High School High"
"Glitter"
"Crossroads"
"Dangerous Minds"
"Beaches"
"Broken Hearts Club"
"Thrashin'"
"New Jack City"
"Robin Hood: Men In Tights"
"Mermaids"
"Priscilla Queen of the Desert"

don't forget Blue Crush and Barber Shop!

DIdn't he also endorse the Big Momma Box Set in a Janice Long interview?

I wonder about the great influence that film had on our poet

what are your thoughts on
the blue lamp
Patrick Doonan
Diana Dors
James Cagney
Pat Phoenix

the crime movies in general
post your ideas now
Julie-Budd
(when will Moz start his acting career)

Julie-Budd, I'd suggest you to check carefully 8 forums and 3 sub-forums first.

Tabs forum is not a forum to discuss about films Morrissey likes, but people who like to play Morrissey and Smiths' songs.

Thank you very much for your contributions.

Last edited:
the blue lamp
what about "a place in the sun"?
speedway
an alligator named daisy
every film with Jean Marais
Diana Dors
Oscar Levant
James Cagney
Pat Phoenix

Julie-Budd

Back