Morrissey's songwriting

Neamo

From what I can gather, since the start of his career Morrissey has worked in songwriting teams - he writes the lyrics, someone else (Marr, Street, Boorer et al) writes the actual music.

I was wondering if Morrissey plays any instruments, or has ever written a song himself, Smiths or otherwise? Does he come up with the vocal melodies as well as the lyrics?

Just curious.

I think he plays some piano- or at least, he does in 'Death of a Disco Dancer', but I'm not sure whether that part was written by Marr or just improvised (well, he did say that he just "fell onto" the piano in that song, so... :p). I don't think he's ever played an instrument in any other song though. And yes, he devises the vocal melodies; he's said in the past that it's one of the most important parts of writing a song to him.

Welcome, btw. :)

Last edited:
From what I can gather, since the start of his career Morrissey has worked in songwriting teams - he writes the lyrics, someone else (Marr, Street, Boorer et al) writes the actual music.

I was wondering if Morrissey plays any instruments, or has ever written a song himself, Smiths or otherwise? Does he come up with the vocal melodies as well as the lyrics?

Just curious.

He plays the drums apparently, as for guitar and actual music composition - no, he just writes them pretty words.

Back
Top Bottom