Morrisseys only good album has been Viva Hate

mrkmzo

So why do people still show up to his concerts? Is it nostalgia and the closest they'll ever come to seeing The Smiths live? I don't get it. He's been coasting for over 30 years now and is living proof that all you really need is 5 good years to have a career for life.

you put a Morrissey album on one shelf and a smiths album on another shelf,im reaching for M every time.his voice has always been better in his solo career.

So why do people still show up to his concerts? Is it nostalgia and the closest they'll ever come to seeing The Smiths live? I don't get it. He's been coasting for over 30 years now and is living proof that all you really need is 5 good years to have a career for life.
ahh mrkmzo,your first post and hopefully the last.what a load of dung.

MOZ'S MASTERPIECE IS VAUXHALL AND I,WITHOUT A DOUBT!!!! ??????
IANADOAC IS VERY GOOD !!!!???
LONG LIVE THE MISSING MOZ!!!!!????☹☹☹☹

The majority of Morrissey fans could probably name several other Morrissey albums which they feel are just as good (or better) than Viva Hate.

For me, the last genuinely good Morrissey album was Years of Refusal. I haven't hated what he's done since, but it just isn't particularly good. If he was a relatively young artist and had only released World, High School and Dog, I wouldn't be a fan.

So putting it like that, we're talking about the last 11 years since YoR in which for me Morrissey hasn't released a good album. That's literally one third of his solo career. So, racism controversy aside, I can see why some fans might have given up on him now.

Look at the previous 11 year time frame, 1998-2009. Pre-Quarry he didn't have a record deal but he was still touring with great set lists. Then came the monster that was Quarry and those top 10 singles. Then Ringleader, a UK #1 album and Refusal at #3. Backed with more extensive touring.

1987-1998 Morrissey was still a young artist and highly prolific. Viva Hate is a masterpiece, then you had the Bona Drag singles which are regarded as some of his best solo work. Kill Uncle wasn't great, but then you had him working with Boz and Alain and going on tour for the first time since The Smiths. Your Arsenal and Vauxhall and I are probably most fans' top 2 Morrissey albums. I'm not so keen on Southpaw or Maladjusted but they're decent enough efforts.

But even in the mid 90s when Morrissey was beginning to make albums I wasn't that enthusiastic about, he was still only in his 30s. There was still time for him to return to form, which he did with Quarry. But now? He'll be 61 next month. How many artists make incredible albums at that stage of life?

Last edited:
It's his only great album but others are pretty good.
The songs are so sharp and melodic, and brilliantly arranged.
Never understood why Vauxhall commonly considered his best.
Yes, some great songs on it but several bland so-so songs like Hated for Loving, Spring Heeled Jim and the silly one about the sunbathers.

Viva Hate isn't very good after Suedehead finishes.

Viva Hate isn't very good after Suedehead finishes.
Yep, the quality dips. Dial a Cliché is a beauty though as is Margaret.
I'd still take the other songs over the blandness of the 4 or 5 duff Vauxhall tracks.

The smiths or Morrissey. I think it depends on who it was when you started listening. There has just been more time gone along and why I think Morrissey solo ever gets mentioned as better.

There has just been more time gone along and why I think Morrissey solo ever gets mentioned as better.

I’m not sure what you’re saying. But, IANADOAC is justifiably being well received by many, even by those here that have kept their legs closed for so long.

I have seen him more times than I can count and I saw him live last year.. He keeps putting out a lot of excellent songs.

Admittedly his solo albums won't be as solid from beginning to end has they were with The Smiths but if I really like 6 to 8 songs per album and there have been 13 of them I have a lot of reasons to go to see him live. Within that are songs I think are great. I'd name them but I wouldn't want to burden you with a list of songs you don't actually like.

He also has certain Smiths songs that he has done live as solo artist that I prefer over the originals.. This Charming Man, Still Ill, How Soon is Now? and Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want are 4 that come to mind without thinking about it. On the flip side, his various band members over the years have failed to do justice to plenty of Smiths songs such as I Want the One I Can't Have or That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore.

The concerts are a ton of fun but I am often critical of the setlists. Not because there aren't enough Smiths songs but usually due to too many covers songs, especially this year and too many songs that have been played into the ground. Getting new music is a pleasure. Johnny Marr is definitely missed and I saw him live and it too was fantastic.

Hopefully that sheds some light on your question.

The majority of Morrissey fans could probably name several other Morrissey albums which they feel are just as good (or better) than Viva Hate.

For me, the last genuinely good Morrissey album was Years of Refusal. I haven't hated what he's done since, but it just isn't particularly good. If he was a relatively young artist and had only released World, High School and Dog, I wouldn't be a fan.

So putting it like that, we're talking about the last 11 years since YoR in which for me Morrissey hasn't released a good album. That's literally one third of his solo career. So, racism controversy aside, I can see why some fans might have given up on him now.

Look at the previous 11 year time frame, 1998-2009. Pre-Quarry he didn't have a record deal but he was still touring with great set lists. Then came the monster that was Quarry and those top 10 singles. Then Ringleader, a UK #1 album and Refusal at #3. Backed with more extensive touring.

1987-1998 Morrissey was still a young artist and highly prolific. Viva Hate is a masterpiece, then you had the Bona Drag singles which are regarded as some of his best solo work. Kill Uncle wasn't great, but then you had him working with Boz and Alain and going on tour for the first time since The Smiths. Your Arsenal and Vauxhall and I are probably most fans' top 2 Morrissey albums. I'm not so keen on Southpaw or Maladjusted but they're decent enough efforts.

But even in the mid 90s when Morrissey was beginning to make albums I wasn't that enthusiastic about, he was still only in his 30s. There was still time for him to return to form, which he did with Quarry. But now? He'll be 61 next month. How many artists make incredible albums at that stage of life?
Even people that have strong dislike for him have said his latest record is one of his best. You can't really argue that a record is incredible or not but the critics mostly seem to like it and it's gotten some rave reviews from people that are not part of the cult.

Yep, the quality dips. Dial a Cliché is a beauty though as is Margaret.
I'd still take the other songs over the blandness of the 4 or 5 duff Vauxhall tracks.

No. I completely disagree with this. The only reasonable song on the second half of Viva Hate to me is I Don't Mind..., and that's a throwaway pop song.

I can't even begin to imagine what you'd consider a duff Vauxhall track to be. Lifeguard, perhaps, but that would be it. 4 or 5? Bloody hell.

No. I completely disagree with this. The only reasonable song on the second half of Viva Hate to me is I Don't Mind..., and that's a throwaway pop song.

I can't even begin to imagine what you'd consider a duff Vauxhall track to be. Lifeguard, perhaps, but that would be it. 4 or 5? Bloody hell.
Break Up the Family is one of his best songs.

I’m not sure what you’re saying. But, IANADOAC is justifiably being well received by many, even by those here that have kept their legs closed for so long.

I am pretty impressed by his new album. It actually reminds me of viva hate.
I meant if you started listening during the time of the smiths, you may just hold them a little higher for that reason. Me, they are equal, they just occurred at different times of my life.

It's his only great album but others are pretty good.
The songs are so sharp and melodic, and brilliantly arranged.
Never understood why Vauxhall commonly considered his best.
Yes, some great songs on it but several bland so-so songs like Hated for Loving, Spring Heeled Jim and the silly one about the sunbathers.
Spring Heeled Jim's a great song, lyrics about a cocky criminal, dark sinister tune plus the background cockney voices, love it!

Back
Top Bottom