Morrissey's new almost 'a capella' version of Please Please Please

Maurice E

With all the controversy about his Falkland Islands comments, it's almost gone unnoticed that someone (Morrissey/the band?) has rearranged Please Please Please into an almost a capella version i.e. with the strummy guitar taken off.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoQoKlYLEs8
It's a lovely version. Between Morrissey and Marr's solo performances, and the Smiths live and recorded versions, there have been tons of different arrangements over the years. Ironically, I'd say the Smiths live version is possibly the worst (horrible electric guitar solo replacing the mandolin) and the new Morrissey version might be the best.
The band gets a lot of stick from various corners but I think they play the slow Smiths songs really well live.
I only wish the imagination and subtlety that's gone into the new arrangement of 'Please' could find its way into the new Morrissey songs instead of the plodding indie fare we've come to expect...

I think it's great. It seems influenced, perhaps, by the recent John Lewis version. I also like the lyrical return to "what I want" in the first two verses.

I'd actually like to hear a proper studio recording of this. It'd make a really nice b-side, if he ever releases another single...

I think it's great. It seems influenced, perhaps, by the recent John Lewis version. I also like the lyrical return to "what I want" in the first two verses.

I'd actually like to hear a proper studio recording of this. It'd make a really nice b-side, if he ever releases another single...

It's very nice (I think it's my favorite version) and it would make a beautiful b side.

By the way, last night he returned to "who I want".

Scrub the John Lewis ad - what about Janice Whaley's a capella version from thesmithsproject.com

I agree that Morrissey's current interpretation is impressive.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Maurice E. It's a top little song. I've been racking my brains about the 'Irish waltz' association. A song often played in traditional Irish settings has a similar structure and lilt, Silver Threads amongst the Gold. Many people believe it to be an Irish song e.g.

However, it was written by H.P. Danks -
Born in New Haven, Connecticut, Danks moved with his family to Saratoga Springs, New York when he was eight. He studied music with Dr. E. Whiting, later moving to Chicago, where he worked as a carpenter in his father's construction business before embarking on a full time music career.

In 1858, he married Hattie R. Colahan. In 1864, he moved to New York City. In 1873, he published his best known song, "Silver Threads Among the Gold" (words by Eben E. Rexford), which sold over three million copies. Having sold the rights to it, though, he died penniless in a boarding house in Philadelphia, his last written words: "It’s hard to die alone".His widow died, alone, in 1924. Danks is buried at Kensico Cemetery, in Valhalla, New York.

Pearse Danks was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 1970. He wrote over 1,000 songs.
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hart_Pease_Danks

I think you could play the two songs over eachother, and they'd harmonise. Yes, no? This antique version might better illustrate what I mean -

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom